NLHE ring table hand

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was the 2nd hand so i have no reads (which i know that are very important especially shorthanded).

full tilt poker Game #478146023: Table Alcazar (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:26:33 ET - 2006/03/04
Seat 2: Jesus Lederer ($29.50)
Seat 3: Sparticus8802 ($13.20)
Seat 4: bjjdaddy ($33.70)
Seat 5: ProPlayer2005 ($48.25)
Seat 6: flamesrule14 ($18.75)
flamesrule14 posts the small blind of $0.25
Jesus Lederer posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Jesus Lederer [Kd Kc]
Sparticus8802 calls $0.50
bjjdaddy folds
ProPlayer2005 raises to $1.50
flamesrule14 folds
Jesus Lederer raises to $3.50
Sparticus8802 has 15 seconds left to act
Sparticus8802 is sitting out
Sparticus8802 has timed out
Sparticus8802 folds
ProPlayer2005 calls $2
*** FLOP *** [4h Jd 5h]
Jesus Lederer bets $7
Sparticus8802 has returned
ProPlayer2005 raises to $21

What would you do here?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok I call........... EVERY TIME....Especially with no reads. I've gotten paid off so many times on hands like AJ or flush draws its unreal. If you lose so be it, i cant see him pushing a set, why would he ? Unless hes afraid of that flush draw, i figure your still ahead.

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tenbob said:
Ok I call........... EVERY TIME....Especially with no reads. I've gotten paid off so many times on hands like AJ or flush draws its unreal.

Call? Maybe you didn´t realize that with his reraise i wasn´t all in. I think that the only options here are push or fold. Anyway thanks for your opinion, i got the main idea.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jesus Lederer said:
Call? Maybe you didn´t realize that with his reraise i wasn´t all in. I think that the only options here are push or fold. Anyway thanks for your opinion, i got the main idea.

Same difference really JL, sorry about the minor error in my post :p

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough one. That bet smells like better than top pair. I think I fold it and then keep an eye on this guy.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree i think he's protecting tptk or something like that here with the flush draw on board
he might have made a set, in which case he's making quite the aggressive move...i think you are ahead here though

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I shouldn't read too much into player names, but someone with a handle like "ProPlayer2005" would seem to me to be donkish enough to pull this move with TPTK, or even lesser hands. ^^

Seriously though, I think at these limits you'll see AJ-QJ or even something like TT or AhQh often enough as opposed to a set to make a push viable here. That said, without reads I can see the case for folding, as if "ProPlayer2005" is pulling these big raises with vulnerable hands you'll know about it before long and will be in a better position to take his chips with a read regarding this.

I think I push though, all things considered. This sort of hand is the exact reason you should be watching a table for a while before sitting down. :)

S

scooby555111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL IN

Jesus Lederer said:
This was the 2nd hand so i have no reads (which i know that are very important especially shorthanded).

Full Tilt Poker Game #478146023: Table Alcazar (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:26:33 ET - 2006/03/04
Seat 2: Jesus Lederer ($29.50)
Seat 3: Sparticus8802 ($13.20)
Seat 4: bjjdaddy ($33.70)
Seat 5: ProPlayer2005 ($48.25)
Seat 6: flamesrule14 ($18.75)
flamesrule14 posts the small blind of $0.25
Jesus Lederer posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Jesus Lederer [Kd Kc]
Sparticus8802 calls $0.50
bjjdaddy folds
ProPlayer2005 raises to $1.50
flamesrule14 folds
Jesus Lederer raises to $3.50
Sparticus8802 has 15 seconds left to act
Sparticus8802 is sitting out
Sparticus8802 has timed out
Sparticus8802 folds
ProPlayer2005 calls $2
*** FLOP *** [4h Jd 5h]
Jesus Lederer bets $7
Sparticus8802 has returned
ProPlayer2005 raises to $21

What would you do here?
You go all in every time before the flop u slow played em and he hit a set. i would probaly call the fact u didnt get a read on him hurts, but i would call he might have qs but he probaly hit the set.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....all in on a 3XBB raise?
what if he has Aces? then you've just thrown your $$$ away
what if he's just being aggressive and has a mediocre hand? then you've just risked $30 for $1.50

had you made the initial raise, and he reraised you, then a big raise might be in order, but not right off the bat like that

i do like a bigger PF raise here, though but this is nothing close to a slowplay

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hes gotta have you on AK and he has 9's/10's and wants this pot now

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats what i'm thinking...even queens possibly
but JL's small $2 raise PF may give away that he has a big PP...maybe the opponent knows this and is leading into JL to get his cash in against a set (possibly)
its a toughy
i think i'd push though...i don't think with a set he'd push his $$$ that hard

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i see some different opinions so i still don´t know what to think.
As tenbob said, at those limits it´s very common to see raises like that with top pair or flush draws, but also as FD said that reraise smelled like something better than top pair.

This is what i thought at that moment: "What hands can beat me? Aces, two pair and a set. According to the preflop action i have to discard aces (which would probably have reraised) and two pair (maybe there´s a little chance he has 45 suited), but i´m very afraid of a set, especially of 4s or 5s. Now, would he have reraised like that with a set? It´s very possible, because he may be afraid of a draw or he just thinks i´m going to call since i made that pot size bet. I know what is the most likely hand that can beat me, so now i have to see if there are any hands i can beat that would have made that reraise. I had been in similar situations where players call all in with flush draws or top pair, but at most those situations i was the one that reraised. The most likely hands i want to be facing are a flush draw and a top pair.
So there are 3 scenarios: A flush draw, a set or top pair (they are in the order i think it´s more probable). At 2 of those scenarios i have a good advantage, so i think i´m going to push..." Jesus Lederer has 15 seconds to act "....but wait, i forgot something. Based on preflop action, if he has a flush draw it´s probable that he´s also holding an A, or maybe JQ or J10. So that good advantage in the flush draw scenario would be just a slightly advantage. Anyway it´s an advantage and since i have no information, i´m going to push"

I pushed.

With a read the decision would be easier, so Dorkus i want to know how much time should i take watching the table before i join it, or should i join only when i have notes on every player?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if you had notes on every player, by the time you were done, some would have left already
there're too many players online to do that, but getting a general table read is a must
so what happened?
was your read correct?
i'm thinking he had something like AJh

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Four Dogs said:
Tough one. That bet smells like better than top pair. I think I fold it and then keep an eye on this guy.
FD, since when did your cajones shrivel up to the size of raisins?? :eek: Of course you push here! Like TB and DM said, he's probably holding AJ, KJ, QJ, flushdraw, etc. There is such a thing as over thinking a situation. You must push here.

scooby555111 said:
You go all in every time before the flop u slow played em and he hit a set. i would probaly call the fact u didnt get a read on him hurts, but i would call he might have qs but he probaly hit the set.
:confused: You call 7x BB raise slow-playing? Interesting theory. And how much value do you think he would have gotten for a HUGE overbet that an all-in would accomplish? About $0.75. Not exactly what I'd call a great return. The goal is to get as much of your opponents money as possible with a hand like this.

But now as I think about this hand, what are the chances he's got a set of 5s or 4s? Hmmm...I'll be interested in seeing how this one turned out. But I still say you must push! :D

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ChuckTs said:
well if you had notes on every player, by the time you were done, some would have left already
there're too many players online to do that, but getting a general table read is a must
so what happened?
was your read correct?
i'm thinking he had something like AJh

I have never watched a table to get a read before i join it (i just look at the players´s stacks). I make all my reads while i´m at the table, and sometimes it costs me money to do it, so i guess i´m going to start taking notes out of the table.

In relation to the results, i´m going to wait for some more replies until i post what he had, because i´m interested on reading your opinions with the current information, which was all what i had at that moment.

juiceeQ said:
But now as I think about this hand, what are the chances he's got a set of 5s or 4s? Hmmm...I'll be interested in seeing how this one turned out. But I still say you must push!

I never care about thinking what are the odds that my opponent hit a specific hand. If i think that my opponent has a better hand than me and it´s not worth calling, then i must fold, regardless of what are the odds that he hit his hand. Or should i never think my opponent may have a boat because chances that he hit it are low? In my opinion, according to the betting preflop and postflop, chances that he has a set are high.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
JL, I would agree with your decision, I am pushing here. If he has the set, or pocket A's, or catches the flush you say nice hand & move on. Still think it was the right play.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess if he's an idiot he could have JJ and has decided to push with it

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to push. It will pay off more often than not. Im pretty sure it didnt in this case or you wouldnt be posting this. I think youll get a lot of J,high kicker hands trying to push you out before a higher card hits the board,especially at a .25/.50 table.

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The toughest part is not having a table history on this player. He's got everyone's chips covered so the call on the pf raise could mean low pair or decent starter ( AQ-AJ-KJ). With you being new to the table and coming in with a 7$ bet my gut feeling is he's betting top pair and playing with aggression instead of the best hand. In this one I'd have to push.

Jesus Lederer

Jesus Lederer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Threesixes said:
I think you have to push. It will pay off more often than not. Im pretty sure it didnt in this case or you wouldnt be posting this.
lol, don´t believe i´m results oriented or that this is a bad beat story. Actually i like bad beats and i hate being lucky.

Well, i pushed and he called. He showed Ah3h.
He had the flush draw, a gutshot straight draw and an overcard, which made him favourite against my Kings.

It seems that i made the wrong decision, because when i pushed all my chips into the pot i was the underdog, but here it comes my final question: Was it really the wrong move? (i still don´t know and that´s why i need your opinions). Could i really have prevent pushing all my chips as the underdog if i had had a read on him?
What i´m trying to say is this: Lets say that instead of joining the table i would have been watching it to take notes. The first hand i see is exactly the one i told (instead of me lets say that bjjdaddy had KK), so i take my notes and now i know how ProPlayer2005 plays that kind of hand.
Now i decide to join the table, and the first hand i´m dealt is KK. ProPlayer2005 raises, i reraise, he calls, the same flop is dealt, i bet and he reraises. It´s exactly the same scenario. Now the real question comes: Would he play that Ah3h exactly the same as AhTh or 9h8h? I think the answer is yes, even if he didn´t have those extra straight outs he would have done the same, and in that case my push should be right.......i guess.

Now i have one more question: If he had JhQh (whis was very possible) the hand odds would have been almost 50%, and if he had AhXh it would have been nearly 53%-47% (with me as the favourite). If i thought he had one of those hands, was the push correct or not?

I´m still confused, so any answer will be very helpful.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joosebuck said:
i guess if he's an idiot he could have JJ and has decided to push with it

well considering we are all putting him on some kind of draw, i think it would be a smart move making decieving your opponent like that.
Brunson himself has always said to lead into the raiser when you flop a monster
although he didnt lead into you, he is raising right back at you.
i think he realizes what you have and pushing with a set wouldn't be a bad play; you're pretty pot-committed
of course JL has posted the results so he didn't have a set - but pushing with a set would be a pretty smart play in my eyes; usually people at those limits can't let go of big pairs and maybe that's the kind of player he's pegged JL as.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We seem to have had a good sampling of responses to this thread. Including J.Led, it looks to be 9:1 in favor of pushing all-in and 1, this is my favorite, who even though he thinks your beat suggests that you should toss in the $14 just to scratch the itch. I guess he thinks going all-in for that last $5 is just too risky.

So, let's just call it 10:1 in favor of the push. Well, if your going to play, then your foolish to think that last Nickel's not gonna end up in the pot anyway.
So, why am I so out of step? I assure you Juicee, my cojones are just fine. Most of your reasoning seemes to have hinged on the percieved poor quality of play found at low limit tables. While I tend to agree, I find it amusing that most of you who replied to J.L's post play at exacly these limits. I guess we're all the exceptions to this rule huh? The truth is, that there's some pretty good action at $1.00/$2.00 and under, it's just harder to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Jesus, you and I have played quite a few sessions together. If I had made this over the top bet, would you have called? I hope not. I think we all tend to assume low standards from our opponents until we have reason to believe otherwise. When I sit down at a table, the first order of business is determining who I wont call and who I'll always call. Until then, barring a monster, my guns remain relatively silent. In Hold'em, optimism is your worst enemy.

I never said Proplayer had a lock on the hand. Lacking any information on him I just attributed more credibility to his bet. As it turns out, while he did not yet have a made hand, he did have the goods. With his flush gutshot draw he was a 54% to 46% favorite. His bet made perfect sense.

That being said, all this talk about who had the slight edge is completely irrelevent. Good poker players are not riverboat gamblers. So what if you think you might be a 2% favorite? Just how much are you willing to bet on a coin flip? $20? $100? Would you risk $1000 on a crap shoot? Not me. My self esteem is better than that. I know that if I'm patient and observant, better opportunities lay ahead.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a late arrival in this thread, but why not:

His range of hands is fairly slim here, but readless, I'd figure something like this:

Preflop: 77-AA, A7o+, A2s+.

Flop: No pair can be excluded here, I feel. He might put you on AK and push with 77 because he thinks the jack doesn't help you, but that's really risky.

Then there's AJ/KJ and a flush draw. Making such a dramatic bet with a draw might be overly aggressive, but there are a lot of hands you could have that you would have to fold if he overbets here, like 77-TT, AK/AQ/AT, etc, and if he has a weaker hand than that unimproved, betting big here is likely a great move.

But I couldn't lay down kings here.

The pot is laying you 21-14, or 3-2, and the only two hands in his range that you're really far behind at this point is JJ and AA. Most other hands you will have completely dominated, or will be about a cointoss with. Of course, just calling is not much of an option at this point, since you're pot-committed anyway. Just push it all in and let the cards fall.

FD has a good point when it comes to waiting for bigger edges, but I disagree with it being entirely valid in a ring game. I absolutely agree with it in tournaments, but in a ring game you can re-buy if you bust, and your bankroll should be more than ready to handle these fluctuations - if I'm in the position of being able to risk $1000 on a crapshoot where I'm a 2% favorite, I'll (hopefully) be bankrolled for it, so whether it's $20 or $2000 shouldn't matter much. This is easier said than done, of course.

Regardless, I think your hand vs. his range of hands is a big favorite. Not a huge favorite, but definitely big enough to take this race.

/FP

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also late on this, but what the hey!

I agree with TB and FP. This is a call everytime. If you are facing a hit set then you have to accept that he got lucky and move on, but you cant lay down top pair in the hole with a flop full of average undercards

The only thing that is slightly worrying is the amount he bets. I would consider this bet to too big for a guy holding a hit set, like JJ, a minimum raise here would be best cos you are probably hoping for a call

I would probably put him on AJos, and he doesnt want a call cos you may have KQ. If I had AJ here, I wouldnt be minimum raising hoping for a call, especially with a couple of suited cards out there.

Definite call for me, and if I had a bigger stack, I would be raising

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hands like this dont play well in tournament or in sit and go's, but as for N/L ring even if you have a 2% edge its a go every single time. As for attempting to put this dude on a hand, its a fine strategy, but i feel that watching betting patterns is a much more accurate way of knowing where you are in a hand.

The re-raise over-bet tells me that this dude wants to take the pot down right now, he dosnt want a caller, he is weak. Why not flat call with the better hand, i certainly know thats what id be doing here with a set. You cant assume your opponent has the nuts every time, why be afraid of a flush every time there is 2 of a suit on the board, especially with one isolated player.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands