Hand Review - Love to hear peoples thoughts

R

roshdc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I had a couple of tricky hands today and I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (BTN): 116 BB
SB: 89 BB
BB: 68.5 BB
UTG: 229 BB
MP: 71.5 BB
CO: 218.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J J

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, UTG calls 4 BB

Flop: (13.5 BB, 2 players) 2 8 9
UTG checks, Hero bets 9 BB, UTG calls 9 BB

Turn: (31.5 BB, 2 players) 5
UTG checks, Hero bets 21 BB, UTG calls 21 BB

River: (73.5 BB, 2 players) 7
UTG bets 193 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 80 BB and is all-in

Second Hand

BTN: 117.5 BB
SB: 101 BB
BB: 100 BB
UTG: 36 BB
Hero (MP): 112 BB
CO: 248.5 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J K

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12.5 BB, 4 players) J T 9
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets 8.5 BB, BTN raises to 29 BB

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st hand:

Pre flop is fine, I personally like to go a bit bigger when re-raising in micro stakes. Simply because I think that majority of the players there call re-raises lightly even OOP.

Flop - smaller bet, no need to bet 70% of the pot. I don't see people calling with two overs such big bets, so smaller bets may keep them in the hand, but most of the time, you are likely to be called by draws and better hands anyways. Smaller bet then serves the same purpose as big bet, only now you have slightly more protection.
Turn - same thing if you want to bet, bet smaller.
River - IMO it is a fold unfortunately. Think about it, you re-raised pre, then bet big flop and bet big turn. You really said, on every street that you have a pocket pair, higher then a 9.
You have JJ so you take away some straights like JT, but also, you don't have a Jh so you don't take away any flushes. It is very hard for opponent to check call two streets and then shove river without crushing you. The worst hand he can have is a pocket pair, in which case it is likely he has QQ+ and played them rather slow preflop.

Second hand:
Since you are the original raiser pre-flop, I would do a c-bet. TP+gut shot straight draw and one over card is pretty good. After the first player called you, every next player calling has a wider calling range cause he gets better pot odds, so it isn't unlikely that you are actually beating all of them on the flop.

The way the hand is played, you need to fold. Yes, in micros, there will be people re-raising like that with AQ or two spades, which you currently beat on the flop, but I personally don't like to gamble my entire buy-in so early and recklessly, considering that you may also be beat.
Keep in mind, you don't have a spade, so a hand like K8s has 45% chance to win against you, with 10% chance of a tie. That is not a hand you want to run into, even tho you currently have a better hand.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first hand: IMO the hand was well played until the river that 7h was a terrible card there was a reason why the villain called in the pre-flop, flop and turn and for me there are three options a middle pair and the call of the flop and turn is because he got the set, it is a flush project with Ax (AQ, AK or AJ probably) or a + QQ I think at that time I would have folded and although the villain has 6 it is unlikely it is also a reason to fold from my point of view.

second hand: good raise in the pre-flop but you should have made a c-bet just like the teammate who made the previous reply

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You built up a decent put in the first case. I understand your desire to quickly double the stack, but this is a cache game. A terrible card fell on the river unfortunately for you. The opponent can have a flush, straight, set, or anything else. He easily turned his hand into a possible bluff.
It will not be easy to discard the cards in both cases.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi, I had a couple of tricky hands today and I would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Hero (BTN): 116 BB
SB: 89 BB
BB: 68.5 BB
UTG: 229 BB
MP: 71.5 BB
CO: 218.5 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J J

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, UTG calls 4 BB

Flop: (13.5 BB, 2 players) 2 8 9
UTG checks, Hero bets 9 BB, UTG calls 9 BB

Turn: (31.5 BB, 2 players) 5
UTG checks, Hero bets 21 BB, UTG calls 21 BB

River: (73.5 BB, 2 players) 7
UTG bets 193 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 80 BB and is all-in

First, it seems that Villain/UTG isn't holding QQ+ (called 3-bet preflop), but even so these hands are possible, in a low frequency.
Second, UTG/Villain can be raising first all of the pocket pairs, which includes 88, 99 and 22.
Plus all of this there aren't flush draws OTF to be charged of. Hands that we are charging are TJ (which we are blocking), 76 (not very common on UTG's ranges), 65, and I don't know what else more.
For all of these reasons, if we are going for 1/3 to 1/2 pot at maximum, with all of our range that 3-bets: BTN vs UTG, we are going fine.
The turn completes a one liner straight but this should be not our concern.
Hands that we are already winning, could fold if we do c-bet OTT again, such as 8x, 9x, Ax, and some flush draws of hearts.
Many players do this mistake when they see a lower board to their overpairs, and they feel comfortable 100% of times, to be stacking of in these scenarios with the excuse that the opponent is a recreational.
Our only hope is that Villain/UTG is holding 33, 44 or TT, because 55 gives Villain a set, 66 a straight, 77, 88 and 99 sets, 22 bottom set, plus a couple of two pair combos such as 98 and 87.
We can only be calling down this donk-shove OTR when we have lots of information about Villain and this means something we barely never have at the micros: thousands of hands played versus Villain with a bunch of HUD stats preflop and postflop plus our notes.
As a default, versus unknown recreational ones, I am folding this donk-shove 100% of times without hesitation.

Second Hand

BTN: 117.5 BB
SB: 101 BB
BB: 100 BB
UTG: 36 BB
Hero (MP): 112 BB
CO: 248.5 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J K

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12.5 BB, 4 players) J T 9
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets 8.5 BB, BTN raises to 29 BB

We do have TP2K + Gutshot. At 2 NLHE this is a very high variance spot.
Our outs are not clean because Villains can be holding/blocking Qx.
Plus we have a lot of reverse implied odds, cause we are not holding the nutted blockers of Spades, As and Ks.
Easy fold at 2 NLHE with no information of Villains. Unless our plan is to start to play bingos.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

R

roshdc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, for your thoughts everyone. That was very insightful. I am new on the 6 max tables and so I have invested around 10$ to see how people play in this stake/game. Villain in this case had Jh8h and so made the flush on the river.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, for your thoughts everyone. That was very insightful. I am new on the 6 max tables and so I have invested around 10$ to see how people play in this stake/game. Villain in this case had Jh8h and so made the flush on the river.
So the opponent caught a pair of eights on the flop and strengthened on the river with a flush, as I expected. Your hand was better initially, but he evaluated the situation correctly (check-call). And the dealer rewarded him. Don't despair, it happens.:call2:

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the first move, I would re-raise x12 or x15. The villain probably had a pair and made trips, or if he was very aggressive at the table, he would have JT. On the second play, I would raise, but on the flop I would fold if the bet is more than 2BB.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the first hand you have to question the river shove.
Villain only ever has flushes and sets in this spot here’s why. (Unless he absolutely loves bluffing)

1) it was reraised preflop and he called which indicates all your middling pairs or suited connectors, some gappers.

2)you have shown a significant amount of strength throughout the entire hand so what I’m earth could villain think is good here?

3) the check and call from villain is all the way down, now when the 2nd heart comes, a lot of sets will protect on this turn card so villain would of probably check raised most sets so they are only a small part of the range.

4) villain has being extremely passive. 9/10 passive players won’t smash it in unless they have the goods.

5) when a villain sees somebody showing so much strength and the all of a sudden shoves, he is expecting you to call because most of the time when you bet all the way down, you’re plan isn’t to fold the river

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the first hand you have to question the river shove.
Villain only ever has flushes and sets in this spot here’s why. (Unless he absolutely loves bluffing)

1) it was reraised preflop and he called which indicates all your middling pairs or suited connectors, some gappers.

2)you have shown a significant amount of strength throughout the entire hand so what I’m earth could villain think is good here?

3) the check and call from villain is all the way down, now when the 2nd heart comes, a lot of sets will protect on this turn card so villain would of probably check raised most sets so they are only a small part of the range.

4) villain has being extremely passive. 9/10 passive players won’t smash it in unless they have the goods.

5) when a villain sees somebody showing so much strength and the all of a sudden shoves, he is expecting you to call because most of the time when you bet all the way down, you’re plan isn’t to fold the river

So therefore I would say this hand is more of a levelling issue. You need to be really attentive to how your opponents are thinking and what reaction they are expecting from you

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands