Chips
Playing 5 handed 20 NL in 888.

Players:
Villain: Cutoff (107 BB)
Hero: SB (100)

Stats from villain: (69 hands)
VPIP: 20 PFR:18
WTSD: 31 WWSF: 38 AGF: 1.2
However, not reliable at all because of the small sample.

Villain opens 3bb on the CO, Hero calls 2.5 BB from the SB with (8s9s) since there is a weak player on the BB that I want to keep in the hand. BB folds.

Flop: Js 10c Jc (Pot 7 BB)
Hero checks, Villain bets 5.25 BB. Hero calls

Turn: 7s (Pot 17.5 BB)
Hero checks, Villain bets 13.1 BB. Hero raises to 36 BB. Villain calls.

River: 7d (Pot 89.4 BB)
Hero checks, Villain bets 45 BB (leaves 18 BB behind). Hero folds.

What's you opinion about this hand?

Thank you.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#1.... call pre is ok.

#2.... Don't check call out of position on paired boards, with only 6 clean outs (we dont want Qc or 7c). If you are going to continue, C/R. If the guy ships after we C/R, yeah it's shitty. We then assess our equity (about 25% +/-), and if we aren't getting 3 to 1 pot odds, its -ev.

3#.... I recommend just folding flop. On to the next hand. Reverse implied odds. We could hit and still have a loser. Play draws like this aggressively when we have nut draws, not "I hope I'm good" draws.

So yeah, my official opinion is call pre, or 3b pre.

On the flop, if we 3b, we can cbet. If we don't 3b, i like folding. If we don't fold, C/R, but I don't like that cause we OOP and board is paired with two clubs.

Edit: Don't call river as played. Nooooo.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd definitely prefer 3betting pre.
Bean has told some interesting points playing postflop.

4TWeen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
3#.... I recommend just folding flop. On to the next hand. Reverse implied odds. We could hit and still have a loser. Play draws like this aggressively when we have nut draws, not "I hope I'm good" draws.

Great thanks for your answer. Just one question: in general, wouldn't you rather check raise bluffing your worse draws such as gut shots? Since when we check raise our good draws, for example an open ender, getting 3bet is an extremely awkward spot?

Thanks.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great thanks for your answer. Just one question: in general, wouldn't you rather check raise bluffing your worse draws such as gut shots? Since when we check raise our good draws, for example an open ender, getting 3bet is an extremely awkward spot?

Thanks.

If/when we C/R flop, it has to be read dependant. Being OOP, we have to think there's some possibility V will fold to C/R. We win two ways, with or without showdown. We take control of the hand, and now we have the lead. V is on the defensive now.

Edit: basically, nutshell, we always want to take aggro lines when possible, and when we think we have fold equity. We win two ways, by making V fold, and by him calling and getting there. It makes us harder to play against if we are C/R people and applying pressure with draws and made hands.

But we dont C/R top pair and hands that have very little chance of improving. As for gutters, once again, need to think we have fold equity to raise. In position is always better, no matter what hand, what draw, etc.

However, I know its 5 handed. I know we have a good draw. Board is paired and two clubs. I really think we just fold here, unless we think this guy is just cbetting air....then we c/r. But we better be right with the read.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks.

Villain's PFR is 18%, but be probably raises wider from the cut-off when there are no limpers. Let's estimate 25%. A 25% raising range looks like this: [22+,A2s+,K9s+,QTs+,A2o+,KTo+] and has 59% equity against your hand at the flop.

Despite his lead in equity, I think he probably has not connected with the board (I don't have software to analyse this, but I think any hand connects to a random flop less than 50% of the time).

Villain makes a standard c-bet. Is his c-bet % above 60? If so, then he probably almost always c-bets in this situation (heads-up, opponent has checked, no ace on the board to worry about if he doesn't hold an ace), no matter what he is holding. The c-bet tells us nothing.

The co-ordinated board is probably scary for him, just as it is for you. Even if he has overcards or an overpair, he probably doesn't have many outs to a flush, straight, or full house, and you do (straight and backdoor flush). He probably has more reason to fear having a good, but second-best, hand than you do. His WTSD and WWSF show that he is not a calling station.

Folding is reasonable, but I like the semi-bluff check/raise here, unless your table image is hyper-aggressive. Behind in equity, and set up to lose big with a straight that will be hard to fold, I definitely agree we don't want to see the turn.

Later we find out that he has probably connected with the board, but we don't know that on the flop.

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check calling flop with a paired 2 flush board is asking for trouble.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I like your reasoning on calling preflop to keep the weaker player in the hand. Not too excited about the check call out of position on the flop.

You hit your straight on the turn and get called by a raise. Now you are in a really bad spot because both of you are committing yourself AND you are out of position.

Overall put yourself in a really tough spot vs what looks like a solid player (noting villain's TAG 20/18 stats)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands