Hand Analysis Help

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a hand I played recently on ACR and I wanted some opinions and insight on this particular situation:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.49, PFR: 19.61, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, hands: 51)
BTN: 116.5 BB (VPIP: 10.34, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 29)
SB: 100.5 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
BB: 130.5 BB (VPIP: 35.56, PFR: 17.78, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 49)
UTG: 177.5 BB (VPIP: 30.56, PFR: 19.44, 3Bet Preflop: 15.79, Hands: 37)
Hero (MP): 150.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K 9

fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, BTN calls 4 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (9.5 BB, 2 players) 6 3 4
Hero checks, BTN bets 4.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (18.5 BB, 2 players) K
Hero checks, BTN bets 13.5 BB, Hero calls 13.5 BB

River: (45.5 BB, 2 players) 7
Hero checks, BTN bets 32.5 BB, Hero raises to 75 BB, fold

Hero wins 105 BB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I won the pot and I feel that my raise on the river was a good play based on my assumption of my opponent's range. He seemed like a TAG so I had his calling range at QJs+, 99+, A8s+, AJ+ preflop. When the Kd came on the turn he bet about 2/3 pot so it seemed bluffy and fell in line with my assumed range so I called to see the river. I knew the 7c was a brick for him so a raise in my opinion was a good bet because it put pressure on his bluffs and gave me an opportunity to get called by a worse hand in case he thought I was bluffing.

Note: It was a pretty tight game so the open with K9s was an attempt to steal or isolate the BB

Do you agree with the line I took?
What would you have done and what information are you getting from the villain's betting pattern?
Would you call or raise less to induce a call? Or would you just have folded the hand on the flop?

This is my first time trying to really analyze a hand so any help and insight would be much appreciated. Also this was an interesting board so I would like to hear how somebody else would play on a similar board.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure where to start. The only street that was played correctly was the turn.

Pre-flop, fold. Especially w/ the players in the blinds. Flop, bet or check/fold. C/cing with K high OOP on this kind of board isn't a winning play. If you were planning to bluff later, you'd want a better board. Thinking you can c/c for value w/ K high here is, maybe a pipe dream by some solver?

Not even sure what to say about the river. Are you turning your hand into a bluff, or what are you doing here? If it's for value, what worse hands are calling you?

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
after the flop IMHO you should have C Bet indicating you have a better than board pair or at least a drawing hand,
on the turn im going to bet out here also to indicate i hit the k or it didnt bother me
on the river i like the check raise it says you probably have the 5 for the str8. the only problem is if he was value betting the 5.
many hands can be played many ways. i dont like your passive play though. but playing it passively would make it look like you were going for the str8

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure where to start. The only street that was played correctly was the turn.

Pre-flop, fold. Especially w/ the players in the blinds. Flop, bet or check/fold. C/cing with K high OOP on this kind of board isn't a winning play. If you were planning to bluff later, you'd want a better board. Thinking you can c/c for value w/ K high here is, maybe a pipe dream by some solver?

Not even sure what to say about the river. Are you turning your hand into a bluff, or what are you doing here? If it's for value, what worse hands are calling you?

Yeah im still trying to discipline myself with suited cards lol But that's what the forums for right? Thank you for advice, i'm definitely going to keep it in mind.

mrxuptown

mrxuptown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
after the flop IMHO you should have C Bet indicating you have a better than board pair or at least a drawing hand,
on the turn im going to bet out here also to indicate i hit the k or it didnt bother me
on the river i like the check raise it says you probably have the 5 for the str8. the only problem is if he was value betting the 5.
many hands can be played many ways. i dont like your passive play though. but playing it passively would make it look like you were going for the str8

Im assuming this is if you're going for the bluff right?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with others pre flop is a fold. If we are LAGing it up at a tight table we should be bet/folding flop or check/folding flop. Check/calling with no draw and King high one of the worst options. Why are we putting in money passively on the flop with K high and no draw? We aren't even bluff catching with K high as a missed small Ace still has us beat along with any pair or better. Turn is fine. What range did you give V that bet flop and turn and called a raise pre? His 55, 56, 67, 45 all improve on that river, I expect his sets to call down and there was never a flush draw.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im assuming this is if you're going for the bluff right?
not necessarily, you should be c betting most of the flops that you raised. The turn you did hit the king and a bet there still keeps you in control of the hand. You never want to look passive that is a sign of weakness. by c betting you are giving the button a chance to fold. then theturn bet is giving the button a chance to fold also. when you check then just call the button has position and control of the hand. again this is just one way i could have played it. The way you played it worked out for you. I just would have been a little more aggressive,

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands