Bad play?

U

Uski1915

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing live game, 5-10 nl I call a preflop raise for $75 with ah8h ... Also another caller... (Loose table) flop is 2h3h4c raiser bets $75.. I reraise to $175 .. intial raiser re-pops to $350... I shove all in for $800... He calls with AA ... I had no clue what he had, I figured I could take the pot down with a 4 bet... Even with AA that's a scary board...turn was an 8... River an ace...I had nut flush draw, straight draw, 2 overs..

Last edited:
dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, welcome to cc forum.

Interesting hand. Is he the guy with AA, who preflop raise 75$? What is the reason for your reraise to 175$? Value re raise..? He has value from the start. For him, still safe flop, not that scary, coz what is the chance that A 5 called 75$? His raise of 75 after flop, is small (his bad) you could buy nuts for small money. you should just call, if you already want to gamble and chase hands. His re-pop to 350$, wow, you should think a lot about that. it was good chance obviouse that he had pair over from hand. And your shove.. for what? value. He wasn't lay down.. if you tried to kick him from the hand. he already put 500$ into hand (value) Gamble didn't go well this time for you. Hope other time it will. or you will play more carefully.

Good luck,

S

sbarnhouse

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, when you raise to $175 you need to be willing to get stacks in, otherwise, I'd just call the bet on the flop. I think it depends on how the table has been playing, was 7.5x a standard raise pre? Seems a bit big to me, and personally I'd let my A8s go because of that, but as played, I think I'd just flat the bet on the flop and proceed from there with caution. Can't really blame you for jamming after he 3b because folding after calling the 3b would be burning money, but I'd just be taking a more cautious approach to the hand from the start.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IF the table is as lose as you say it is, just flat call the flop and let them bet for you if you hit your flush. Easier to get away from if you miss. After your flop raise, him min raising you.....should've sent up warning flags. Again...just call that min raise. But save yourself the $175 and just call the original bet especially if you're last to act.

B

Blair29

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre its a pretty big raise to call With A8s, I'd be more on board with a hand like A4s because it can make straights as well.

You can never really make a horrendous mistake getting in 100bb with the nut flush draw so long as your bankroll can take the variance.

The absolute worst equity you can have here is 24% and thats specifically vs the 56h. Against sets your about 30% and vs KK and QQ your flipping. Even if villain has 56 you still have 40%.

I actually quite like the raise on the flop, it knocks out a lot of hands that have decent equity against you, AK AQ maybe even 66- TT. But once you get re raised its pot committing because flatting just leaves you in no mans land if you miss on the turn and villain shoves.

Basically as played I'd say the biggest mistake was hand selection preflop. On loose tables its better to tighten your range and select hands that flop well. A8s just doesn't flop all that well most of the time.

G

Grantadvo24

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded A8 pre probably. Don't like the kicker to his 75 dollar raise. I assume he has over pair and I don't wanna flip with A8.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a big Ace-trash player, even when suited, and especially for a 7.5X raise.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, you should have called and see what's next. He already made a bet, so he might have a hand, maybe even a small pocket pair that thripped or a straight. You have highcard ACEMaybe he'd bet the same amount and you could have laid down with 150 bucks less on the river instead of 800On the other hand you would have shoved in latest on the river, isn't it?
So you just lost a hand, A8s sucks

Last edited:
AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with NCdaddy your play was a bit single minded and aggressive. You could’ve proceeded with a bit more caution.