AQ Pre flop

S

Snakester420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise UTG to 3BB in a 6 handed NL2 cash game with AQ. The button 3 bets me for 9BB. I 4-bet (should I do this?) 3x his raise and he 5 bet shoves. Do I call? At this point my pot odds almost force me to call... How can I avoid this?

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the 4-bet with AQ...too many hands you could be dominated by. I think a straight call and evaluate on the flop would be the better play.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the 4-bet with AQ...too many hands you could be dominated by. I think a straight call and evaluate on the flop would be the better play.
Agree - just call the initial 3-bet. The other guy is screaming strength, which often means AKs, AA, KK, AK or QQ all of which dominate your AQ. A bet like that from a position of strength (btn) carries more weight than the same reraise from a blind (where the guy may also be saying that he doesn't really want a call).

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Matt, you are being dominated, just call.

K

kevinmarkus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's only a hand... Yeah it sucks, but you need to draw something and unless its an ace, you probably are going to be beat by AA or KK.. :(

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you know the button to be a an over aggro clown, i'd just call his 3 bet pf. You're out of position, and could easily be dominated preflop.

K

kmart99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With zero info on villain, why even call the 3 bet? You are up against AA, KK, QQ, or AK almost always. You need like 6 to 1 odds just to out flop them and if you miss you're facing another massive bet.

I'd just fold to the 3bet unless I have information on Villain that widens their range.

Unless the flop comes AQ2,AQQ,or KJ10 you are hooped. What if the flop comes Q72r? Then what ? I hate calling a 3bet with AQ, ESPECIALLY OOP like this situation.

N

nkat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
start by putting them on a range.. what are they 3b you after you raise utg?

How does AQ do vs that range?

What does 4b do to his range? (as in what hands does he continue with to the 4b and what does he fold?)

these are the kinds of questions you wanna be asking yourself to avoid that situation

S

Snakester420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Im glad to get some help on the situation. Thanks to everyone.

wc2hell

wc2hell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i think that in 6handed the 3bet maybe can represent force, but with the informations that you have from villain is the besy way to your decision.

S

Snakester420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another Question

Should I three bet AQ AJ and A10 from the button? or smooth call? How about 99 or TT?

S

sQueezeRC

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better call, I don't like AQ that much

R

roygor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call 9 BB with AQ, would not go all instantly.

It seems you were dominated by the other player, were you losing at the end , what did he have?

mihaste

mihaste

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would call 9 BB with AQ, would not go all instantly.

It seems you were dominated by the other player, were you losing at the end , what did he have?

I think your rate is too high, because very few people will go into the game

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well AQ inst that good starting hand i dont like to play them especially with that raises in front of you. I would fold there. But thats just me. :) Cheers!

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove preflop think face crown, high card against any pair is coin flip, eg AQ x 33,
46% x 52% prefer to play post flop.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Forget the pot odds, they always get u in trouble, if u feel u are behind just fold your hand, its as easy as that, most of the time the pot odds dictates u should call, even if u are dead certain u are waaaaaay behind with your hand, so once again forget about pot odds, in this case i would fold that AQ, a raise from u then a reraise and a reraise, clear fold.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I have AQ, I ask myself this, would villain ever do this with AQ/AJ/AT? So you are left with the following range:

AA, KK, AK, and MAYBE QQ and JJ. Aside from JJ, you're in a lot of trouble vs. villain's 5 bet shoving range. Unless they are completely nuts and are doing this with a small pocket pair, you're not doing well.

Just out of curiosity, are you playing Zoom on Stars or Snap on 888? Or just a standard ring game where your opponents don't change? It sounds like you don't have a read on the villain here.

I've learned to fold AQ if I am 4bet against, and just auto fold if I'm in late position and a raising war has started in front of me.

Maybe that's a bit on the nitty side, but I'd rather be initiating aggression instead of reacting to it.

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I three bet AQ AJ and A10 from the button? or smooth call? How about 99 or TT?

the hands you mentioned are very vulnerable to be dominated by higher cards so why take the risk? however, i would deffo 3-bet with 99 or TT on the button if my opponent especially is a loose one

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah! I know at this point your thinkin. Most of my stack is in there so i would call. #justathought - Good luck @ the tables guyz. From Bonnie Scotland.

Vitaliy Popik

Vitaliy Popik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think just call. But AQ not so be strong hand.. And you said your opponents are reises.. on pre-flop , that he had some better hand than you.

B

BabkovAA

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd only played AQ when few opponents, and my stack is an advantage

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just can't see the raise you made with a 3 bet before you and you 4 bet him. I mean it was possible to see the flop for less. Does that make any sense.? Pot odds is not what you are thinking. You must not look at the way players give you a read. The heavy betting was to move you out or win a great pot. So really you have not said anything about the hand. You have not even told us what hand you had and what the other player had. A lot of 3 and 4 bets is what I'm hearing, but you are telling me how bad you got beat calling in unsure hands. The hardest thing to lay down is the 2nd best hand. And you are at a point where you either call or fold, and a lot of thoughts. running through your head. I can tell you really should work on your attention in the game. When you need help, give us all of what is going on. But one other thing. I would have been out of that hand in a minute. Because I know it was a losing hand you thought you could win. I see too many players who thinks that even though they know their beat, they just can;t fold. And more so if an A is involved/ GL to you

M

MakeUcryalot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise UTG to 3BB in a 6 handed NL2 cash game with AQ. The button 3 bets me for 9BB. I 4-bet (should I do this?) 3x his raise and he 5 bet shoves. Do I call? At this point my pot odds almost force me to call... How can I avoid this?

AT-AQ are tricky. It goes deeply into what range the villain would bet from that position. You need to tread very lightly with those hands against a shark. Poker loves to give me QA and the person on my immediate left KA, its sick. So when in doubt fold that shit when you really don't know.

The answer to this question is - I can't tell you until i know what type of player the villain is. If it's a fish I'd 4b as played and call their shove confident that it was +EV. If it was a decent reg that I've played many times id call the 3bet and if i miss the ace on the flop I'd play purely odds to equity, most likely leading to a fold. Even then they could also have AK, so you really need to gauge the confidence of the bets in correlation to the board and gauge THAT players range from THAT position at THAT time.