AK from the small blind facing a three bet

T

trebor1993

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently playing cash 1-3 full ring 300 buy in. Just sat down. I am in the small blind. Player to my right on the button has a stack of around 450.
Player in middle position raises to 12 and the cut off calls. The button raises to 45.
I look down at A-K of clubs.
I re-raised to 125, the other two players folded and the button flatted.
Flop came Jc 7s 5h
I shoved for remaining 175 into pot of 280. He called and showed A-J off suit.
Would anyone have played this differently pre flop or post flop?
I had no idea of his image as I just sat down.

L

Lisavandervelden12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this just kind of a bad beat story?

I mean, you pretty much left yourself with no choice in the flop, but to shove.

The pot is $69 after villian raises to $45. I dont think the villian folds AJo to anything other then an all in by you. Even then, this guy may call. He doesnt seem very good, he got lucky. Cold calling a 4 bet OOP with AJo when your only leaving youself one move on and he knows it is terrible.

I think you played the hand fine. He just happened to get lucky. There is no way, you would think the Jack helped him. The only thing that would have worried me on that flop is 7s.

The board is pretty dry.

You said you had no idea of his image when you sat down.

Did you continue playing with him? What was his image? I assume very loose.

M

Maksimus71087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.
So in this situation on pist flop the Best you could do is check fold. Button knows that you can prottect blinds with many different hands, but his call on preflop could be with not so many hands. It could be with pocket pair 99 any higher, AJ, AQ, AK... May be KQ and QJ. If you eatch this you Jan see that hi enters the flop with AJ, JJ, QQ, KK, AA and QJ. And hi misses the flop with only AQ, AK, KQ, 99 and 1010. So 50/50. AK draws, 99 and 1010 give your opponent win. So hi folds only with AQ and KQ, and it is only 20 %.
So check fold is the Best on this flop.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your 4bet in preflop is correct, since the BTN wanted to get out of the way to the CO and isolate itself with MP. Probably the weak opening of MP has motivated the BTN to make an important and representative 3-bet of premium hands. As
In fact, your 4-bet now has a lot of preflop equity, and you are placing yourself in a very narrow line (AA or KK) for which, you must be prepared for an aggressive game for the following streets.
The call of the villain in preflop, definitely tells us that most likely we should include in its range, many premium combinations and ultimately consider the top pairs. Since in this case, BTN would have turned his hand into a 5-bet.
In the flop I think you played very well. Your bet was very credible and you continued representing your initial line. On rare occasions you would have hit yourself with double couples like J7, but I think your thinking was optimal. You also had the board in favor, so you should definitely block those streets that complicate the turn.
Regards.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I typically dont like putting more than a third of my stack in preflop and create these situations, where if someone call, the stack to pot ratio (SPR) is less than one. And I especially don’t like to do it out of position with a hand like AK. So for me this would be a spot, where I either fold or jam preflop. Sure it’s a bit large, but the issue is, his 3-bet is already so large, that there is not really enough room left to 4-bet and still get away from the hand. And if you are jamming all flops regardless, why not just jam preflop instead.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate that hand. Ak always told me that problems. it's a hand with which you have to play aggressive preflop and fold on the flop if you do not touch anything. I avoid bluffing with this hand because when your opponent pays your 3bet preflop is that he has a good hand. my problem with AK is that call the all-in of my opponents preflop and that I never win even when I have a better equity. right now as I touch that hand. I start to stress because I know that in the end I will lose chips.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fundiver nails it again in my opinion. I have nothing meaningful to add. I've been in this spot more times than I care to admit. Keeping in mind what the SPR will be after a bet or raise can be critical in hands like this and help avoid really tough spots. If we jam pre and he folds we pick up an easy 20+ BB with no flop in less than 60 seconds. That's an insane win rate and an awesome result. If we get called by the AJo it's also a great result. Obviously they can still out draw us but recognizing these spots is key.

ETA: Maybe we can still use this sizing with AA when we are jamming every flop anyway and want to induce weaker calls but with AK, KK, QQ, I much prefer a jam.

Last edited:
NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I typically dont like putting more than a third of my stack in preflop and create these situations, where if someone call, the stack to pot ratio (SPR) is less than one. And I especially don’t like to do it out of position with a hand like AK. So for me this would be a spot, where I either fold or jam preflop. Sure it’s a bit large, but the issue is, his 3-bet is already so large, that there is not really enough room left to 4-bet and still get away from the hand. And if you are jamming all flops regardless, why not just jam preflop instead.

+1

you JUST sat down. You have no clue as to your opponents. You're out of position. And, you left yourself 1 single play on the flop and that's shove no matter the flop. Jam preflop and hope e1 folds or fold. I'd actually have folded to get a beat on everyone first.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For live game, I would suggest playing 150BB deep at least as the open raise size tends to be larger. This would make you less committed preflop, to create 4bet/fold to 5bet range and more maneuver room postflop.

I would just jam preflop without read if playing 100BB

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I once won a Freeroll on the cardchat and you can build a bankroll from it, if you then play microlimits, then everything is possible, but you just need to keep managing the bankroll in a serious way!

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm. Why you push flop? You can play flop, turn and river imho. It is 4bet spot

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being that you both had no ones table image and they had no idea about you. I would have relaxed a bit with that hand. I lose a good bit with AK, and after that flop, he could easily have trips, seeing that indeed he did hit his lower kicker and you had A high, I would have not gone all in. That being said, it could have been to your advantage them NOT knowing what you would play as in cards and raises. Easier to evaluate when we know the outcome. lol