AA vs KK Facing an all In

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a live game yesterday. I had KK in the big Blind. The blinds are 2 dollars
Middle position raised to 15 dollars. Everybody fold to me, I re-raised to 45 dollars.
He takes a little be to think... and just called.

(He is a tight player but tends to defend after he makes a raise)

the flop came 9/10/2 rainbow. I raised to 70 dollars
He goes all in for 500 dollars
I have 450 behind

Call?
fold?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a tight MP player I tell you what I would do:
We would try to see the previous hands, how he played them.
You say that he defends his position, in that case this allows us to expand a little more his range of possible hands he could have.
I believe that MP wants to bet for value, in front of a board coordinated with possible stair projects. (from this reasoning we eliminate high speculative hands: AK; AQ; AJ; A10 and we leave top pairs: AA; KK; QQ; and JJ as last option)
As we have KK I think this represents an obligatory call, because we defeated 90% of the pairs in the deck.
There is a possibility that he has flopped a set of tens or 9 but it is a risk that in this case, taking into account the characteristics of the opponent, at least I would take.
Greetings.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he has QQ or JJ, with aces he would have moved on the preflop, and he played a call. I'd call him all-in.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
board with a lot of outs, hard to fold Kk..

With the info, board j102 rainbow, it leaves a lot of outs. KK is a favorite, I would make the call, in spite of all the outs. Rather go out on my shield, fighting, than trying to win by lagging, playing scared.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a stack to pot ratio (SPR) around five I am typically not folding bit overpairs after the flop, and certainly not on a board like this, where what does he even have, that beat you? Does he open from mid position and then call a 3-bet with T9, T2, 92 or 22? Probably not, so realistically you lose to TT and 99, which is a whopping 6 combos of hands.

Also I will say, that if he actually flopped a set with TT or 99, I dont think, he would play it this way. It makes no sense, because he want you to stay in the pot, and there is not that much, a set need to be scared about on T92 rainbow. So I think, sets mostly call in position and look to get the money in on the turn and river. The hands, I see play this way, is QJs, which flopped an OESD, and maybe hands like JJ and QQ, which overplay, because they are panicking about overcards.

So yeah I am calling here with KK, and its not even much of a decision for me to be honest. If he happened to flop a set on me, he would get value anyway, when I bet the turn and bet the river, so him going all in with this absurd overbet does not even change the outcome.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play lower stakes , but I have seen something similar with players having 9T,or 99,TT which means the hands strength of 2 pairs or 3.
If you have one pair you all-in either at the very beginning or the very end, but that is again on the lower level.

LibaSzabi

LibaSzabi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its fold flop is important and dangerous .. he might have set on flop

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for the input.
I was thinking the same thing, It did'n make sense if he had a set. The board was not scary at all. But people sometimes make those moves when they feel you have a good hand.
I believe he put me in QQs or better. I was playing kind of tight as well And my raise pre-flop put me exclusively on one of those hands. But the way the hand was played told me he has AAs, I was thinking to fold and ask him: "If I fold, will you show me your AAs"???
My gut were telling me I was beat. But is so hard to fall KKs on that flop. so I made the call.
He had AAs
Another reason I called is because he could have had JJ, QQ or even A/10 suited, hands that I could beat.

anyway, it was a great hand and I took the beat pretty good. I feel if I had folded and he didnt show, I will be haunted now by the though if he had it or not.

thanks guys

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he actually had AA, which you hinted at in the title, then his weird way of playing also did not affect the outcome. Would you have folded KK preflop to a 4-bet, of course not. You would at least have called and probably 5-bet, so the money was going in either way.

In most situations KK vs. AA is just a standard cooler, and in the long run coolers simply dont matter. Sooner or later, be it against him or someone else, you will have the AA, they will have the KK, and they will also lose all their money to you.

There are very specific situations, where you can get away from KK preflop, but this was not one of them. Sure you were a bit deep, but with his open size, which I assume was kind of normal for the game, this was more like a 100BB hand with a normal open size.

And then you simply just dont fold KK preflop, unless you have the most sick action like UTG open, UTG+1 3-bet and UTG+2 cold 4-bet. Against a single opponent you just get it in, and if he happen to have the pocket rockets this time, good for him.

M

Master Bedroom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to be haunted by it. Consider the hand, and the position you were put in, and try to recall these things the next time you are in this spot.

D

drhousethebest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally have a good gut intuition, and most of the time when i dont listen to it, i get the beat. But like I said, this hands is ok because is the only way I could have played the hand.

I have another hand but this time I was holding the AAs, I will post it in another threat. I would like to hear your input too. Maybe this situation was a little more complicated.

thanks

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the luxury of my couch, I would call. Good luck.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also consider that there is a possibility that mp wants to protect his rank with JJ or QQ, since he blocks stairs.
This I think is the main reason why the call is profitable in this case.

GustavoMaruno

GustavoMaruno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to fold kings, but sometimes we need to.