$600 NLHE Full Ring: Live 2/5 Can we defend here with second pair?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fairly late at night and games are breaking so reads are limited as players are turning over quickly. V in this hand is younger guy. Seems like a reg but we haven't played with him before. He arrived at the table with almost $3k in chips. Max buy is $1k. He's been active and aggressive but hasn't shown down many hands. Has folded some when played back at suggesting he has bluffs.

Hero should be viewed as tight by V but not enough reads for V to know if we are weak, passive, or aggressive. We haven't played together before so he may assume we are a more casual rec player (which is mostly true).

OTTH: Straddle is on to $10 and it folds to the BU where V opens for $30. The standard open on straddled pots had been $40 with an occasional $45. Hero is effective stack with $650 in SB and BB is also weak tight so BU range can be wide here. Hero looks down at QsQh and 3 bets to $110. BB folds, V pauses for a few seconds. Thinks then calls.

Flop (~$230 after rake): Ks Td 3c
Hero checks. This is a weak check but I don't mind having some stronger check backs in a 3 bet pot when the SPR is low. We can eval and call a reasonable bet here and decide if we can continue on safe turns. If we bet and get raised or even called it will be really tough to make it to the river OOP. We also fold out a lot of weaker hands that missed if we cbet here. Cbetting still may be correct but I opted to check / eval. V bets $80. We think for a while and decide to peel one and eval.

Turn ($390): Ks Td 3c 2h
Hero checks. V thinks for about 15-20 seconds and puts out a stack of black putting Hero all in. SPR is 1.17 on the turn. It feels gross but we review the hand in our head. V would likely use standard sizing with AK, KQ type hands. AK and KK+ also 4 bets often. We block KQ. V should be folding a lot of smaller Kx. Maybe 2 combos of sticky KJs, 3 or 4 combos of AK that decided not to 4 bet and sized small pre to get action, 1 combo of KQs that we dont block. A couple of combos of slow played KK+, and 3 combos of TT. All together maybe 12 combos. Now how many bluffs can we find? I think QQ, JJ, QJs, and 99- take this line a fair amount as well. Maybe even a sticky JTs, or T9s. Our hand could look like a sticky AQ or scared JJ that can be bluffed. Long story short. How often can we call it off here? This is a pretty common spot where there's one over card to your PP and V applies pressure. We can't fold them all but we can't call them all either. Can anyone do a minimum defense frequency calculation here? Also our passive line has under-repped our hand. It may have been easier to cbet / fold but now that we are here. Do we call it off?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the "V" rarely has any bluff in their 3bet call range, I think he has AK, TT or KT, in this situation, KK not, and I think your hand is defeated in this spot, soo you need to fold
I don't know nothing about minimum defence frequency MDF, sorry, I have to learn...
I like your post, good explained

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given 1.17 pot bet, you would need around 55% equity to make a call profitable. I don’t see him valuebetting worse here so he would have to be bluffing at that frequency. I would expect him to potcontrol some hands on the flop as the king hits your range quite decently. Based off of that, I’d be more inclined to fold turn than call.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the "V" rarely has any bluff in their 3bet call range, I think he has AK, TT or KT, in this situation, KK not, and I think your hand is defeated in this spot, soo you need to fold
I don't know nothing about minimum defence frequency MDF, sorry, I have to learn...
I like your post, good explained
Thanks, and thank you for your feedback. I do not expect V to be calling a 3 bet against a tight player with KT. There are 2 combos of KTs left but if V has top two pair here I would not expect him to overbet turn. He would want us to call and size down. Same with TT, and KK. This sizing indicates 1 pair or a draw or even an airball bluff against our weak line like AJs. Since we are checking he may figure he can rep the K or he may even think that Tx or JJ is good. I am worried about a slow played AK, KQs type hand though. I'm not sure it's this cut and dry but you could be right.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given 1.17 pot bet, you would need around 55% equity to make a call profitable. I don’t see him valuebetting worse here so he would have to be bluffing at that frequency. I would expect him to potcontrol some hands on the flop as the king hits your range quite decently. Based off of that, I’d be more inclined to fold turn than call.
Value betting worse than what? We could be 3 betting AQ, AJs, and 99 here as well as JJ+ and AK. Since we checked twice we probably don't have KK+ or AK. So it opens the door for V to both value bet Tx and better and bluff with hands like QJ or JJ or 99-. Jamming 99 here when we check twice isn't really a bluff if V thinks we have AQ. He can also bluff Ace high gutter draws like AQ, AJ against our line.

Last edited:
Organize a Home Poker Game