• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not my hand! Some poker vlogger had this hand in Reno recently, 5 handed at the Pepper mill

So I don't know this dude- it's the first video I've seen from him.

Video link:

Hand in question:
Hero is dealt :9d4: :9c4: on the button.

----
UTG is a loosish player... I don't think he's unreasonable, but the vlogger was mad bc he called his flop bet a hand prior with K high (it was vs Hero's donk bet on a draw heavy board)... whatever man :boring:
----
UTG raises to $15, Hero 3! to 50, BB cold calls, UTG calls

FLOP: :4d4: :5d4: :6s4: POT: $150

---
DECISION: BB xs, UTG xs, Hero ?????
---

ITH Hero bets $75, BB folds, UTG XR to xxx??? [He min raises, vloggers math doesnt add up here. I also don't know the rules on min raising lol is it just 2x your bet?]

Hero calls

TURN: :4d4: :5d4: :6s4: :6d4: POT: ~$300

UTG bets 100. Hero now with diamond draw, calls.

I'm struggling to see what 99 is ahead of here.

RIVER: :4d4: :5d4: :6s4: :6d4: :8d4: POT: ~$500

UTG bets $200, Hero calls.

THOUGHTS:

PRE: We can used a merged range against a loose player who never folds to 3!s. 99 is definitely in that range, probably 88 as well. Since V is UTG (HJ really, we're 5-handed) calling wouldn't be too bad either. In position is fine to 3! for value.

FLOP: Can we possibly check here? Maybe with the 9d we should be betting, but we'll be facing a raise often with many good draws with his wide continuing range, I'd like to check with our SDV for pot control. Personally I'd be inclined to check up to AA, although premiums would be in better shape vs a V XR with two overs and a fd as compared to 99.

A call on the flop sets us up for later streets of calling as well, so there's a threat of future investment.

Turn + River, I don't care lol, I think the decision was made on the flop! :bath:

Your thoughts?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen some of this guys vlogs before. Hand is interesting but I don't hate his line here.

I think pre is standard, especially as V is someone we think is wider than normal. We still went 3 ways with the squeeze. If we flat we could easily end up going 4 ways or getting squeezed ourselves and then playing a capped range in position depending on sizing. We can easily fold to the 4 bet as well and lose the min when he has a monster.

For the same reasons we have to lead this flop with a vulnerable over pair. I could see checking KK+ with one diamond though. Min raise is double whatever the previous raise was. So on the flop it's just 2x. Pre flop the blinds don't count so it's a little different where if the big blind is 5 and someone opens to 15 a min raise would be to $25 since the actual raise was $10 more than the blind.

Yeah the math is off. If he min raised then $300 went in on the flop and the pot is $450 (he also ignored the SB but we will chaulk this up to the rake). How can you fold getting 4.5 to 1 with an over pair and diamond draw? If V turned over AA with no diamond would you call? I hope you said yes. Would V really use that sizing with that hand? That's a different question, but I think it illustrates there are some hands that V could have (77, 88, TT, etc) that we want to continue with for this price.

River is gross again. We hit the second best possible run out making the flush rather than the boat. V bets so small it's hard to fold again. Could he have 77 and made a straight? What about TT or JJ with no diamond? Or even a smaller flush. It's $200 to win $850. I think it's a huge mistake to fold and be wrong while only a small mistake to call and be wrong. Our call represents 19% of the $1050 pot. Are we good 1 out of 5 times here? It's close, we have to make a read. And sometimes our read is going to be wrong. The reason I don't mind calling is because, especially live where the pace is snail slow, the times you are wrong you'll have valuable info for the rest of the session. In this case the guy left but sometimes having that read for the next couple of hours can pay for itself when this scenario comes up again. More hands that may take this line from V that we now beat: 32s, 45, 76, 78, really any 7x (obviously without the 7d for the straight flush).

Last edited:
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the reply. Considering that the math for the pot size is wrong, V is betting very small. I can see how one could be induced to call.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands