$600 NLHE 6-max: 2/5NL line check

joebenigno

joebenigno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2/5 3 handed
v1 1000 (covers me), opening almost almost every pot to 3x, cbetting almost every pot, does not fire too many double or triple barrels
v2 ~250, playing fold/push
hero - 800, has been playing LAG for about 4 hours, bought in for 500, high was 1200 low was back to around 500 (1BI)

hero SB 22 (no club) BBv2 unknown v1 button unknown

v1 $15 hero flats 22 in sb, v2 flats in bb

772cc, I check, BB leads 15 (???) BUTTON V1 $45, I flat, BB folds

should I have check/raised flop?
turn: offsuit 9
pot 150 hero 740 behind

I lead 90, v1 calls
pot $330, hero $650 behind

river 5c flush comes in, my play is to try and get max value from any 7 as I believe 7x checks back and might even check back baby flushes. If I check, I’m only hoping to get action if he has Q+ high flush IMO. I overbet pot 300 into 330. he insta-jams? fist pump call?

also, how do I go about acquiring enough street cred to get access to the ACR daily $100 freerolls? lol

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's a big difference between flopping the over boat and the under boat. I would have played your under boat fast and gone for a c/r on the flop.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this line, if it was heads up I would have x/r flop. But after a x/b/r I think we fold out too many hands by putting in a back raise 3 bet on a paired board. We pretty much always have 7x or better when we do that and we almost never get action from BB or BTN. The way we played it we can often get BB to put in another $30 and continue 3 ways to the turn where we can still lead the blank and pot river both for proportionally larger bets since there's an extra $30 in on the turn.

I don't know about the fist pump but you certainly can't fold river. If he has a bigger boat then god bless him. Really don't expect anyone to raise quads on this flop so there are very few combos that beat us. Sucks if he shows up with 97 or 99 but he really shouldn't have anything else that beats us. Even if we give him the quads as well that's only 10 combos.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume, this is live poker? As a disclaimer I am an online player, but its still NLH, so here is my take on the hand:

Preflop
The smallest pairs like 22-44 are always a bit awkward in small blind facing an open raise. Do we call and take a setmine out of position, do we 3-bet them as a bluff, or do we just fold and wait for a better spot. All three options have merits, but with an aggressive 3-better in big blind I kind of like flatting the least of any option.

Flop
We bink it big time, big blind comes out for a donk bet, and original raiser pumps it up. This is just perfect apart from their sizing, which is very small. Even so a cold 3-bet will look extremely strong, so I am completely on board with just calling with our small boat.

Turn
I dont really understand, why Hero goes for the donk bet here? If BTN has value like an overpair or 7X, he is surely going to bet again, and if he has air, he is just going to fold it, when we donk into him. So I much prefer checking to him again with intentions to go for a check-raise and then jam most rivers.

River
I definitely want to bet again, but I am not sure, I would choose this basically pot sized bet. An obvious draw came in, and is an overpair or even trips really always going to love calling such a large bet now? I am not sure, but to be honest live poker dynamics and reads are important here, and of course I do not know, what these were. If you go smaller, I think, a flush might even raise you, and this would be my choise.

Anyway you pot it, and even so you still got raised, which I am not particularly thrilled about. Even so I think, the baby boat is just to strong to fold here. I think, he could still be doing this with a flush, and if he happens to have a better boat, it just sucks to be you. You are also getting 4:1 here, so you only need to be good 1 out of 5 times, which I think, you are.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assume, this is live poker? As a disclaimer I am an online player, but its still NLH, so here is my take on the hand:

Preflop
The smallest pairs like 22-44 are always a bit awkward in small blind facing an open raise. Do we call and take a setmine out of position, do we 3-bet them as a bluff, or do we just fold and wait for a better spot. All three options have merits, but with an aggressive 3-better in big blind I kind of like flatting the least of any option.

Flop
We bink it big time, big blind comes out for a donk bet, and original raiser pumps it up. This is just perfect apart from their sizing, which is very small. Even so a cold 3-bet will look extremely strong, so I am completely on board with just calling with our small boat.

Turn
I dont really understand, why Hero goes for the donk bet here? If BTN has value like an overpair or 7X, he is surely going to bet again, and if he has air, he is just going to fold it, when we donk into him. So I much prefer checking to him again with intentions to go for a check-raise and then jam most rivers.

River
I definitely want to bet again, but I am not sure, I would choose this basically pot sized bet. An obvious draw came in, and is an overpair or even trips really always going to love calling such a large bet now? I am not sure, but to be honest live poker dynamics and reads are important here, and of course I do not know, what these were. If you go smaller, I think, a flush might even raise you, and this would be my choise.

Anyway you pot it, and even so you still got raised, which I am not particularly thrilled about. Even so I think, the baby boat is just to strong to fold here. I think, he could still be doing this with a flush, and if he happens to have a better boat, it just sucks to be you. You are also getting 4:1 here, so you only need to be good 1 out of 5 times, which I think, you are.

^this sums it up very well

However I will add two things. One is that I really hate a check raise on this flop. If it went bet, call to then back to you I think you could check raise. A bet, then a raise back to you and you cant check raise there. It will looks way too strong as you are raising a raise and it could possibly even scare away a small over pair. Plus the check raise will make the BB even more apt to fold and for value we would much rather have him in this hand.

The only thing I disagree with in above is the river about not being thrilled they jammed into us. Since we did not check raise the flop and donk led a little on the small side we really under repped our hand here. On the river, flushes and I think even 7x might raise us depending on the villain. I would never be folding the river as mentioned above but I would be happy when I get jammed here.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2/5 3 handed
v1 1000 (covers me), opening almost almost every pot to 3x, cbetting almost every pot, does not fire too many double or triple barrels

Turn
Provided reads are that V opens and cbets almost every pot, but double or triple barrels rarely. If he has a value hand he can raise turn and also call with draws that may have checked behind, if not he was probably checking back anyways and not putting much in on the river as the pot will be small if turn checks through. With these reads why not lead and go for max value? We can also get calls from overcards on occasion. I think leading turn looks weaker than x/r where only 7x, flush draws, and maybe over pairs would probably continue.

Also since he's raising a lot and it's only 3 handed I don't think folding a pair pre is an option unless we think BB will squeeze. We can 3 bet but I'd rather at least have a high card blocker and we are plenty deep to set mine for this price.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also since he's raising a lot and it's only 3 handed I don't think folding a pair pre is an option unless we think BB will squeeze. We can 3 bet but I'd rather at least have a high card blocker and we are plenty deep to set mine for this price.

In my opinion these very low pairs just tend to perform like junk. Even against a wide range like 50%, 22 does not have amazing equity, and especially out of position without initiative equity realization also tend to be very poor.

Sure we can talk about setmining and implied odds, but out of position it is more difficult to get paid, when we finally hit our set. Also when ranges are wide, as they are facing a BTN open, then Villain will often not have a hand, which is strong enough to pay us more than say the standard C-bet, even he has loads of stack behind. If in this spot he had for instance K8 offsuit, we are never getting more than a C-bet out of him. And a C-bet is not enough to compensate for all the times, where we miss our set and have to check-fold on the flop, even though we might often have the best hand.

And finally there is also some amount of reverse implied odds, which actually gets worse, when stacks are more than 100BB deep. The lower our set, the higher is the risk of running it into a better set or as in this hand possibly running a full house into a better full house. I think, a lot of people feel, that "OMG I have a pair, I can not fold", but if you think about, where the money is actually going to come from, its not so easy to come up with a good answer :)