$50 NLHE Full Ring: Turned a straight but wonder on what street I should fold if any

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$50 NLHE Full Ring: Turned a straight but wonder on what street I should fold if any

PokerStars - $0.50 NL - Holdem - 8 players

CO: 47 BB (VPIP: 13.39, PFR: 11.02, 3Bet Preflop: 11.29, hands: 127)
BTN: 102.02 BB (VPIP: 20.59, PFR: 20.59, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 34)
SB: 60.64 BB (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 29)
Hero (BB): 130.2 BB
UTG: 103.9 BB (VPIP: 23.33, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
UTG+1: 102.2 BB (VPIP: 20.05, PFR: 16.79, 3Bet Preflop: 9.89, Hands: 405)
MP: 100.9 BB (VPIP: 12.27, PFR: 8.09, 3Bet Preflop: 3.70, Hands: 387)
MP+1: 53.04 BB (VPIP: 31.58, PFR: 21.05, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 19)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7 8

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) 6 9 9
Hero checks, MP+1 bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Turn: (8.5 BB, 2 players) T
Hero checks, MP+1 bets 4.04 BB, Hero calls 4.04 BB

River: (16.58 BB, 2 players) Q
Hero checks, MP+1 bets 8 BB, Hero calls 8 BB

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see a raise preflop. The guy sounds pretty loose, just take the pot right there. As played,
A: The flop is pretty good for you. You should probably go ahead and bet this. He doesn't really ever have anything here, and there is no point in trying to draw to a str8 if you don't have to. I would probably just donk it for around pot size and expect to see him fold.

B: You catch a ten for the nut straight. If you are going to check this, it needs to be a check-raise. There are already 3 hearts on the board, so you might be drawing dead already. We can never ever ever check call here. If you bet the turn, go for around pot size. Sure you miss value from some 9x hands, but you str8 is in a bad spot. If you check raise, i would make it around 15. Honestly at this point i just want to end the hand, so i have no problem forcing out hands that we are ahead off.

C: How can you call this river. There are 4 of a suit on the board. You only beat bluffs, and are still losing to some of his bluff hands. This is a FOLD.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thx for the review.

Preflop I dis not raise as I have only 19 hands of info on opponent (MP+1).
A) Yes an option
B) I like this one.
C) Agree a fold is needed here.
I like option B check raising which I completely missed.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain looks like he has a pocket pair or Ax with a heart either way. Agree with previous post on the turn and river...

Turn should be a check-raise to get value from pairs w/ heart or any flush draw.

River is an easy fold. He simply isn't likely to be betting without a flush or better.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he is loose 3bet or fold pre. You just got a great flop, most times you are check folding.
Don't mind the call on the flop, we now have great equity and don't want to raise and get shoved on.
Turn depends on player type. Aggro then go for a check raise. If he's passive just lead out for value and look to get it in if the river is favourable.

R

roddy1977

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see a raise preflop. The guy sounds pretty loose, just take the pot right there. As played,
A: The flop is pretty good for you. You should probably go ahead and bet this. He doesn't really ever have anything here, and there is no point in trying to draw to a str8 if you don't have to. I would probably just donk it for around pot size and expect to see him fold.

B: You catch a ten for the nut straight. If you are going to check this, it needs to be a check-raise. There are already 3 hearts on the board, so you might be drawing dead already. We can never ever ever check call here. If you bet the turn, go for around pot size. Sure you miss value from some 9x hands, but you str8 is in a bad spot. If you check raise, i would make it around 15. Honestly at this point i just want to end the hand, so i have no problem forcing out hands that we are ahead off.

C: How can you call this river. There are 4 of a suit on the board. You only beat bluffs, and are still losing to some of his bluff hands. This is a FOLD.
Would be good to know why you think we should 'never ever ever' check call on the turn? [emoji846]

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would be good to know why you think we should 'never ever ever' check call on the turn? [emoji846]

Probably bc with this board, there are many "drawing" hands that can beat our hand on the river...hands like two pair, flush draw, maybe even a set. Essentially, a check-call would:

A) Give our opponent a free card to draw to any of these hands

B) Not give us any information about what villain has by the time the river comes

C) Potentially lose us value (an extra bet) if/when villain does have one of those strong draws

B

bark9188

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think TenJack nailed it, but I'd hone in on pre-flop. The call is very weak, especially out of position. Maybe I'm being a bit nitty here but I don't like that hand much and am dumping pre-flop, but if playing it has to be a raise. If you are re-popped you can dump it; sounds likely that he'll call and you can lead out your open-ended on the flop.

R

roddy1977

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably bc with this board, there are many "drawing" hands that can beat our hand on the river...hands like two pair, flush draw, maybe even a set. Essentially, a check-call would:

A) Give our opponent a free card to draw to any of these hands

B) Not give us any information about what villain has by the time the river comes

C) Potentially lose us value (an extra bet) if/when villain does have one of those strong draws
Thanks for explaining your thought process. Makes sense - I guess there's also the consideration that the villain could have turned a flush or full house, or may seek to bluff the river if his draw doesn't come in. In those instances check calling could keep the pot small in case we are drawing dead, and may lead to value in inducing a bluff. I suspect mathematically check raising is the better play as the villain is more likely to have a draw than a made hand - I guess I wanted to know your reasoning as I could see reasons to check call, and wondered how it was so black and white as to justify never ever check calling.

Folding in Poker