$50 NLHE Full Ring: Line check - attacking weakness

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live game.I know most of the players though this specific villain is new. Been playing with him for about 2 hrs, seemed pretty ABC on the weak side.
He has about $250 behind and I have just under that.

Villain limps from UTG.
3 calls.
I am in BB with :4s4::4c4: and I check.

Flop is :ah4::2s4::5c4: (Pot $2.75)
I check
Villain bets $1.5
Rest of the players fold.
I raise to $4
Villain calls.

Turn is :7s4: (Pot $10.75)
I bet $7.
Villain calls.

River is :kh4: (Pot $24.75)
I bet $16
Villain tanks.....will share results later :)

What do you think of the line I took?
What would be your calling range here?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live game.I know most of the players though this specific villain is new. Been playing with him for about 2 hrs, seemed pretty ABC on the weak side.

Villain limps from UTG.
3 calls.

I check
Villain bets $1.5
I raise to $4
Villain calls.

I bet $7.
Villain calls.

I bet $16

You’re attacking weakness sure...but without a well defined plan or describing his range.

I don’t like your hand selection for 1. You’ve got 4 outs and that’s about it. 6 outs if you include sets (but there will s a 4 Card straight of you make your set so not real comfortable).

When you check raise what are you repping? What do you think he has? What are you targeting to fold?

I don’t think any A is folding. At least not yet. If you’re planning to triple barrel I think it’s too risky but I think you should upsize. I’d raise something like $6 on flop then bet just under pot on turn and bet about 1.2x pot on river. Again I wouldn’t take this line but I think the sizing doesn’t apply enough pressure to ace rag.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would much rather see us x/c flop and x/f turn

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’re attacking weakness sure...but without a well defined plan or describing his range.

I don’t like your hand selection for 1. You’ve got 4 outs and that’s about it. 6 outs if you include sets (but there will s a 4 Card straight of you make your set so not real comfortable).

When you check raise what are you repping? What do you think he has? What are you targeting to fold?

I don’t think any A is folding. At least not yet. If you’re planning to triple barrel I think it’s too risky but I think you should upsize. I’d raise something like $6 on flop then bet just under pot on turn and bet about 1.2x pot on river. Again I wouldn’t take this line but I think the sizing doesn’t apply enough pressure to ace rag.

- He limped. What's his range? Suited connectors and other "garbage" I'd expect to fold to my reraise on the flop and if they hit a 5, unless it 57 suited i'd expect villain folds on the turn. Ax. unless a very strong X (which I'd expect would raise and not limp) would not (in my opinion) call 3 barrels.
Small pair maybe, would fold on another barrel on the turn.
My point is only very strong hands would call 3 barrels on this type of board in a limped pot.
- I'm repping 2pair, set, straight. Which I would play almost the same if not identically.
- I was not trying to hit, though I would not mind it.
- I expect any pair under A and Ax (not AK- and I don't expect to see there AK limping UTG) to fold.
- I agree I could have bet higher, but I was trying to keep it the same sizing as I would if I had the range I was repping.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- He limped. What's his range? Suited connectors and other "garbage" I'd expect to fold to my reraise on the flop and if they hit a 5, unless it 57 suited i'd expect villain folds on the turn. Ax. unless a very strong X (which I'd expect would raise and not limp) would not (in my opinion) call 3 barrels.
My point is only very strong hands would call 3 barrels on this type of board in a limped pot.
- I'm repping 2pair, set, straight. Which I would play almost the same if not identically.
- I expect any pair under A and Ax (not AK- and I don't expect to see there AK limping UTG) to fold.
- I agree I could have bet higher, but I was trying to keep it the same sizing as I would if I had the range I was repping.

Don't think it's reasonable to expect a bad player to fold a pair of aces ever here

M

MrSamsa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Villain limps from UTG.
3 calls.

I check
Villain bets $1.5
I raise to $4
Villain calls.

I bet $7.
Villain calls.

I bet $16

Not raising preflop is pretty bad, Why the sudden aggression with the ace high board when that slams weaker players limping range? You've got double blockers to the nuts but not much else when he calls two streets all in all pretty bad play in my opinion

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think it's reasonable to expect a bad player to fold a pair of aces ever here

Valid point. Maybe I should have tried this on a better player?

Long story short (as it seems all agree this was a bad play)-
Villain tanks. After a couple of minutes I call time. He mutters "if you got it you got it" and turns over AA :confused:

Later that session I used a very similar line, but in position (when I was not the pre flop aggressor), and it worked very nicely (villain - not same one - folded folder top pair/medium kicker face up). That's why I wanted to hear some opinions about this general line.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not raising preflop is pretty bad, Why the sudden aggression with the ace high board when that slams weaker players limping range? You've got double blockers to the nuts but not much else when he calls two streets all in all pretty bad play in my opinion

I’m never raising small PPs preflop in a limped pot like this. They’re not folding and occasionally the UTG limper springs the trap with AA/KK/QQ.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes his range is wide when he limps; but when he limps then bets into 4 people on this board he nearly always has at least an A.

If you’re putting him on a pair of 66-KK then you must think he’s really terrible to play it this way. I generally don’t try to bluff Players that terrible.

I understand that you’re not trying to hit...and it’s better that you have 4-6 outs instead of virtually none but I’d prefer to bluff with hands like 54s where I can pick up BDFDs or a 5/4/2. In general though this just isn’t a good board to triple on. I’d prefer to have something like Ac4c on a Kc3d5h type Board where I’ve got an over and BDFD and gutshot and K rag boards generally don’t connect with limping ranges. Ahi boards aren’t great for barreling, IMO.

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you’re putting him on a pair of 66-KK then you must think he’s really terrible to play it this way. I generally don’t try to bluff Players that terrible.
I shared the result. Yes he is that terrible.
My main lesson here is not to try this against players that bad. I think that if I have gone higher in my bets a better player would have folded their Ax, but maybe not in a frequency worth exploring.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think when he bets into multiple players on the flop, it makes it very unlikely he has a bluff. Most likely holding is Ax, maybe even an AK if hes that type of guy. Betting into this player on a stone bluff is suicidal. These guys dont fold.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 limps and you check along with them.

Player leads into 3 others, showing strength, and you decide to get frisky.

Explain to me how this is attacking weakness. Looks to me like you waited until they showed strength to wake up.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Explain to me how this is attacking weakness. Looks to me like you waited until they showed strength to wake up.

+1

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Leads on an A high board after limping pre + he just called my flp and turn best.
I still think that if he was not holding AA he folds there (he tanked for over 5 mins with AA...). I do agree that the choice of player to do this on was not the best and that I should have bet higher on every street, then it would be more of an attack.