$50 NLHE 6-max: Up paired board and flush draw, How would you play this hand?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand. I like a larger 3 bet OOP $6-6.50. Flop sizing is fine with the draw on board. I think things get really interesting on the turn. I don't think we ever size this large when we hit a flush or a boat on the turn. I think our hand is face up here as an overpair or AJ only allowing V to play perfectly. V should really only have one combo of AQcc in a 3 bet pot if we size larger pre. I don't think we are getting flushes to fold river given our line and less than a pot sized bet left. We are only getting value from a sticky QQ or super fishy AJ. Everything else that calls has us crushed unless we have a maniacal image. So I guess it could come down to reads. What's our read on V and what's his likely read on us? Without reads I don't like the river shove. We aren't really deep enough to bet / fold though. So we can x / eval. Again with no reads and a stronger 3 bet V shouldn't have any 8x other than the 1 combo of 88. We can probably bluff catch a half pot river bet but if V sizes up or jams we will have to make a tough read. I would still prefer to x/c rather than jam because it alters V's range. If based on V's stats we can find a call that means we think he has enough missed draws that can bluff in his range. If we shove in ahead of him we don't get value from any of those bluffs. We should really only be getting called by QQ+, flushes, and boats.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just run your hand via GTO+ given this is NL50 as I don't play this stake online.

As BTN vs BB theoretically should have a wide 3bet and defence range,turn you will have to check-call at very high frequency and better to play this hand passively to realize your equity as BTN should have more 8x

If BTN check back turn, you can bet the river.

Generally I would raise bigger preflop OOP.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Line: 2/3 pot OTT when it completes a flush

In this hand I decided to take the aggressive path, there are possibly different ways to play it but I decided this line. I thank you all for yours analysis. In 24 hours I will publish the result.
Here I leave the link of the hand, greetings.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qpvIeK

Hello there dear mate, thanks a lot for sharing with us. :D

The Preflop

Standard. We can be 3-betting more often and flatting here less often, depending on Villain. I like the sizing too, 2.7x is a good sizing, because we are 3-betting too many hands BB x BTN, because it is part of our stealing range, if we never polarize this range, we never make huge mistakes postflop.
Because BTN can have a lot of hands on its range is the reason we could/should be calling here with TT+ and AJs+ to protect our pretty wide range that calls BB x BTN.

the postflop

The Flop

Very good for our range and also good for Villain's range that now could be calling plenty of Jx, flush draws, a few straight draws, but we believe BTN will not display a lot of JJ here, because given the price and the position JJ is a possible candidate to be 4-betting BTN x BB but also could be flatting.
When you bet OTF and Villain calls, giving your size up for nearly 1/2 c-bet, Villain cappes its range for weak hands, because we believe that strong hands that would need protection would not be calling down here, such as 22, 88 and JJ. It is possible but not much likely.
Ac8x, AcJx, even some Ac2x are calling here, depending on Villain, besides a bunch of pocket paris are not folding as well, at least no OTF.

The Turn

It didn't change the picture very much because it double paired the 8 of clubs and we block AcKc, leaving for Villain only the AcXc and AcXx. Given we have a ton of range advantage here, most of times and we want to extract immedialy from Jx, QQ, TT, and the combo draws of flush. Yes, we are now considering that BTN/Villain capped its range for medium-weak hands and we want/need to extract ASAP.
Needless to say that when we go for 3/4 pot or overbet turn, which is one of the possible lines we are going all-in on almost every single river that it is not an Ax.

The River

Another double paired situation, which doesn't alter the picture very much, because Villain would be folding its 2x OTF or OTT, and such a big maybe some Ac2s, or Ac2d that it decided to call because of the nut draw, even so just speculation and just a few combos.
Here we don't need to worry very much if Villain hits a flush, because if Villain hits a flush there's nothing we can do, good for her/him. The same goes for the other possible coolers such as JJ and Ac8x, Ac2x that could be on this river.
Our concern is how to extract value from QQ, TT, 99, AJ, KJ, that are hands that could be sticky here. Well played, I liked very much the way was played and I would do exactly the same.
Usually I am going all-in on almost every river when I am playing 3-bet/4-bet pots and make a huge bet or an overbet OTT, for value and for bluff and on this specific river, Hero/You have a lot of bluffs that could be jamming, so IMO, even for the times we get coolered this is automatic shove.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your 3-bet is to small. Flop C-bet is fine. Your turn C-bet is to large. You dont want to set it up for stacks with this hand on this board. You could even check turn, but I dont mind a smaller bet, since you have a flushdraw to go with your pair. River is a massive overplay. What are you trying to get called by? Like QQ exactly? Check and make a decision.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this hand I decided to take the aggressive path, there are possibly different ways to play it but I decided this line. I thank you all for yours analysis. In 24 hours I will publish the result.

For those interested in v readings, we really have a sample of only 92 hands. As for the specific views on BTN, we have some reason to think that perhaps we are facing a wider range. And from this point of view I thought that maybe we could take the initiative and execute a slightly more aggressive strategy. In 24 hours I will publish the result. I leave more time without results so as not to intervene in your analyzes. Thank you.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BB should have range advantage and more nut combos because of the over-pairs in his range, BTN should have A-high and no made hand about half the time so I think we should bet small on the flop with our whole range maybe 1/3 pot.

BTN should call with anything that has decent equity versus Hero's small flop bet ,OTT the equities change a bit and equities are about equal, the 8c should be good for BTN's range by improving his 8x to trips like A8s,K8s,Q8s and T8s, his 22 and J8s make boats (4% of range), he has made a flush a small amount of the time aswell,

On The Turn
BTN = 50.2%
HERO= 48.8%
Tie= 1.8%

I think this should lead hero to check more often and when he does bet choose a larger sizing and bet polarized, KK would be a good candidate for that. When villain calls your large bet on the turn his range is strong, he has good top pairs, flushes, trips and boats. from the stats I get I see your shove as an OK play since he should have top pair combos 39 of 71 total combos and this is more than half justifying a value bet and extracting value from worse but it is close, the rest of his combos are like I mentioned all flushes, trips, boats , that beat Hero's KK. so I think river could be played as bet or check.

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Hi dear mate, allow me to make some addendum to my overall analysis:
If we have no combos of clubs in situation like this, where we 3-bet light BB x BTN, I am great fan of check-folding or check-calling to evaluate river, as other have said.
We have quite a few hands that could be doing it, and I guess it is fine if we do it when we got the King of Clubs and/or the Ace of Clubs as blockers, so if Villain doesn't hold the Ace of Clubs on its rank, we can represent on this river all the nut flushes, all the full-houses and some AcAx that could be doing the same of KcKx.
Summarizing when we are holding the combos of KhKs KhKd, , we don't play like that, we don't even c-bet the flop to start with. When we don't have the blocker of clubs I am great fan of following fundiver199's and Cornbread's lines.
We choose our combos for bluffing very carefully and we play them the same way, no matter the result, so here we are representing as values only JJ, AcKc, AcAx, and maybe spaz AhAd, AsAd, etc, KcKx, and as bluffs missed AcXx.

One more thing: if we do have a boat or a nut flush OTT, OF COURSE we are sizing it! Of course, if we know our opponent is either too fishy or to experient to be calling, because otherwise we are raising/betting when we hit bluffs/equity? This is why we do mix our strategy and sometimes we go by calling and sometimes we go by checking.
I don't know, players seems too much scared of the flush, when BTN will not present a lot of them, and after all, only a few combos of 2x, 8x, nothing to be worried at all. I believe it because BTN didn't get the best price to be pursuing a flush and even if it had a medium-weak flush it should be folding to this river jamm because BB will have all the nut flushes and full-houses given the sequence line of the hand: 3-bet preflop, c-bet 1/2 pot Flop, c-bet 2/3 pot Turn, Jam River: we are only doing this line with the top of our range and with the top of our bluffs.
BTN's line is very weak and players at 50 NLHE can be creative enough to be calling down this river with AJ or QQ, because they will enter into some leveling war and start to believe that given that BB make a small 3-bet, BB is stealing and trying to take the pot by brute force, so BTN increases its calling range a lot, given the possibility of BB to be bluffing very weird hands here, considering that even our 3-bet range of BB x BTN is not capped, but sometimes we can be 3-betting 18% range, very safely for stealing, specially at 50 NLHE, and I would not be scared at all if BTN displays some sticky QJ here, just because BB can have many bluffs in situations like this.
Sorry, had to edit.

Regards;

Last edited:
C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Carlos I think that is a good point that you said , jamming river with the line taken by hero represents bigger flushes and may get villain to fold weaker flushes aswell, I like Hero’s river all in more With that in mind

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Carlos I think that is a good point that you said , jamming river with the line taken by hero represents bigger flushes and may get villain to fold weaker flushes aswell, I like Hero’s river all in more With that in mind

Why are we turning a hand this strong into a bluff?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are we turning a hand this strong into a bluff?

Equities should be close on the turn so we bet polarized with our best hands and some of our bluffs with equity, I think this was the gto play, if it is then on the river I thought we can all in, since we are polarized we can get villain to over think and possibly call his top pairs or over-fold and let go of small flushes and hands that arnt boats, increasing profit, I may be wrong but these are my thoughts

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you won the hand then. The fact, he called with AJ, does make this play better, even it might seem results oriented. Its a wild guess, but maybe the board runout actually helped you here and made him curious. With the dubble paired board he might think, you would not even shove a flush, and its pretty rare, you have an 8 or 2 in your hand. So it might have looked like a bluff, which is of course exactly, what you want, when you are betting for value :)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
*** SHOW DOWN *** https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qpvIeJ

Thank you all very much for your analysis. My question remains open to all other opinions that want to join. Greetings.

Yeah, just as I have expected, given how dynamic ranges are, BB vs BTN, and the fact that our dear mate choose a very wise small 3-bet preflop. By depolarizing the preflop 3-bet, Villain felt more safe calling with TPTK.
However we are going to miss this a fair chunk of times, however I believe the shove river is automatically profitable, even if Villain only pays us with JJ, 2x, 8x or the nut flush, which BTN will not have in a high frequency.

Regards;

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, just as I have expected, given how dynamic ranges are, BB vs BTN, and the fact that our dear mate choose a very wise small 3-bet preflop. By depolarizing the preflop 3-bet, Villain felt more safe calling with TPTK.
However we are going to miss this a fair chunk of times, however I believe the shove turn is automatically profitable.

Regards;

Thanks my dear friend!

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands