$50 NLHE 6-max: Jamming bad river deepstacked?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars - $2 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

BB: 227 BB
Hero (UTG): 205.5 BB
MP: 254 BB
CO: 139.5 BB
BTN: 163 BB
SB: 159.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Ah Qc
Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 8 BB, fold, Hero calls 5 BB

Flop : (17 BB, 2 players) Jd Kc Td
SB bets 6 BB, Hero raises to 25.5 BB, SB calls 19.5 BB

Turn : (68 BB, 2 players) 5h
SB checks, Hero bets 47 BB, SB calls 47 BB

River : (162 BB, 2 players) 5d
SB checks, Hero checks

$65NL ish
The riv sucks obv. I think vs a reg this should be a check back. He's an unknown fish tho. We beat AA,AK.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont mind checking back on this particular card. Other than Kd this was the worst card, that could possibly have come.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the check on this river too, I don't think I would want to leave myself vulnerable to a re-raise on a river card that brought so many draws and other hands in.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't make much sense for the villain to check the river. If SB connected your scale well I congratulate you, but if you did not do this it is a clear sign of weakness. On the other hand the readings are quite adequate. You floated 2 times with your semibluff on a coordinated board and now you can afford a push representing a monster, and induce a call from a recreational player.
Many villains strengthen their range by checking on the river when they are out of position. But when there is a lot of money at stake, this strategy ends up having an exploitable option, since if we have the second best possible hand, sometimes we can transform it into the best possible hand.
In this case we have a number of advantages that help us to take an aggressive path.
In principle we reach the river without blocking the color. This although it sounds psychopath is very good, since it increases the possibility that the villain blocks this line. For which, there is the probability that its rank has many bluff catchers that at this time try to catch us.
Also in its range there are many smaller hands than ours, including a minor ladder.
We are leaders in chips (although the margin of difference is small, this is an important advantage because now we exert all possible pressure)
And to this we add our advantage of table position.
Obviously the check on the river on our part is the most standard alternative. Check for protection. This is an alternative path that I propose for special cases.
Regards.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I should change my glasses is a paired board. The 3d never existed. This is a clear check on the river. (Instead of turning my hand into a bluff, I must turn it into gleaming crystals)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the check on this river too, I don't think I would want to leave myself vulnerable to a re-raise on a river card that brought so many draws and other hands in.
I don't think there is a river raise that we're folding to. There's 168 BB in the pot and V has about 85 BB left. The only bet that really makes sense is all in. The flushes and sets just got there though and we don't block either. I still think checking back is fine but it's good to look for spots to make this jam. I would want some info on V before jamming though. What hands can we beat that he still calls with? We took a super strong line post even though we flatted the 3b pre. I would only go for it against loose stationy players who may not be able to fold AA, AK, KQ, KJ, JT.

V

Vlad Savchenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both options are fine IMO, but check is a clear +EV, while jamming here can be slightly better if he calls your bet really wide, and terrible if he only continues with better hands.

The problem is that unknown fish usually don't 3-bet all that wide from SB vs UTG, so he's always going to have a part of his range that beats you, and doubtfully will have a ton of worse hands.

So while usually I'm all for going for thin value and agressive lines, here checking seems like the best option