$50 NLHE 6-max: Heads Up- SB Vs BB

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are in the SB and we face heads up against the BB. It was really a difficult place from the turn, when another color line was opened for the villain. Fortunately it gave me a little more security, the fact that my hand blocked both lines with my queens.
But the disproportionate bet that BB made on the river really made me doubt, because a flush line was completed on the board.
As for the villain, I really observed strange movements in his previous sequences, which we also played together. Of course I could be wrong, but I couldn't find strong enough combinations in his range, so I decided to make a final call.
I would like to know your opinion about this hand in general. Any suggestions or advice will be very welcome for me.
Here I leave the link of the hand played:
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5qdLSxy

Regards.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We are in the SB and we face heads up against the BB. It was really a difficult place from the turn, when another color line was opened for the villain. Fortunately it gave me a little more security, the fact that my hand blocked both lines with my queens.
But the disproportionate bet that BB made on the river really made me doubt, because a flush line was completed on the board.
As for the villain, I really observed strange movements in his previous sequences, which we also played together. Of course I could be wrong, but I couldn't find strong enough combinations in his range, so I decided to make a final call.
I would like to know your opinion about this hand in general. Any suggestions or advice will be very welcome for me.
Here I leave the link of the hand played:
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5qdLSxy

Regards.

Hi gustav197poker, it is me again. :p
Your preflop raise was smaller because you were heads-up? Because I like to raise 3x at minimum versus BB, when we are heads-up and there are other players in the table. (when it comes in GAP to SB).
When there are more players at the table I elect to raise 3.5x from the SB with almost 100% Range versus BB depending on the Villain's BB stack size.
I guess you could be checking out of position in the flop and go for check-raise if you wanted the pot to grow.
But this Check-raise from Villain in the BB is very strange my friend. Because if BB had some kind of strong hand such as AA, KK, JJ, TT, 54, 75, 74, 86o, 86s and the sets with 55, 77 and 44, would it REALLY be Check-Raising for value, knowing that SB is opening a giant and wide range (heads-up almost everything).
SB will only call with better hands in a spot like that and fold all the marginal hands and even some draws because the price BB gave for SB is not that good. It is a very polarized bet size which makes me think the Villain in the BB is a recreational, as you told that you saw it doing strange moves.
In the Turn comes a 9s bringing some back-doors. But nothing too worry about, because I found a very hard time for a regular to be betting that strong in such flop types. Of course BB could have those combos of 75, 86, AA, KK, etc, but in a scenario like that, most of times is a huge bluff, again in the Turn.
BB Villain makes a very strong bet in the Turn and when SB calls this bet his is KILLING BB's range with a lot of Two Pairs, Sets, Straights and in the easiest scenario, SB would show TT+. When SB calls the C-bet Flop it demonstrates a lot of strength because SB it is out of position. Now in the Turn again? 80% pot or more? OMG, I guess it is an easy call, because BB will almost never had a Flush Draw with a Club. so I suppose SB doesn't need too much protection here, in spite of the high connected board, which is terrible for bluffing as it seems BB is doing. (I didn't see its hole cards yet).
The River completes another straight (T8) and a Flush, and now Villain in the BB demonstrates that it is a FISH, for sure. Because no sets, two pairs, Pocket Pairs are betting this River, because the Jack of Spades kill the action of those hands which could be dead versus SB's range (although SB will not have so many flushes in its range).
If the BB have the Nuts such as two Spades with an Ace, it doesn't make any sense to bet that strong and get thousands of fold, when sometimes checking this flush nuts will induce more bluffs and worse hands of SB to bet.
We see that this Villain's Shove in the River it is most likely to be irrational either for value or for bluff. For value is bad because it will only be paid if SB has a better hand most of times. And for bluff ever worse becaue SB WILL always call with better given the line BB took during the hand.
Yes, I saw its hole cards now and you gotta put a note on this guy a Whale man. A recreational player trying to make High Stakes moves at lower limits, which are not profitable. If BB had at least an Ace of Spades, blocking the Flush nuts I would barely agree...even so it is wrong because it is hard to represent a runner-runner flush in a situation like that. So Villain had a gutter and decided to play fancy, which at lower stakes are bad. Even at 100 NLHE I would say it is wrong the way BB played.
And very good for you gustav197poker who was paying attention to the adversary to make a HUGE PLUS EV HERO CALL in the River! Congratulations! Well played!
It seems a very scary line but we should ask ourselves which nutted hands would be triple barreling with a high frequency. And we see that BB had more bluffs in his range in the River than values. It was desperate for the SB to fold.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When oop I will raise to 3x preflop.

Other than that, well played. I've played many hands against that player and have found him to be overly aggressive and spewy. He often/always barrels off on any kind of draw, and I've seen him lose many stacks doing so.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When oop I will raise to 3x preflop.

Other than that, well played. I've played many hands against that player and have found him to be overly aggressive and spewy. He often/always barrels off on any kind of draw, and I've seen him lose many stacks doing so.

I would also open to 3x. I agree with your line because I don’t give him a lot of credit for the backdoor flush. I would be more concerned if a 4 straight comes in or the original flush draw arrives.
But we have to be aware that we will face a set two pair here as well from time to time.