$50 NLHE 6-max: Facing a river bet with trips on a very wet board call or fold?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$50 NLHE 6-max: Facing a river bet with trips on a very wet board call or fold?

PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4[/url]

BTN: 80.7 BB
Hero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 150.2 BB
UTG: 105.52 BB
MP: 100 BB
CO: 247.94 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 8

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3.5 BB, BB calls 2.5 BB

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 8 T 9
Hero checks, BB bets 6.64 BB, Hero calls 6.64 BB

Turn: (20.28 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BB checks

River: (20.28 BB, 2 players) J
Hero checks, BB bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

BB shows 9 9 (Full House, Nines full of Eights)
(Pre 82%, Flop 86%, Turn 98%)
Hero mucks 6 8 (Three of a Kind, Eights)
(Pre 18%, Flop 14%, Turn 2%)
BB wins 59.16 BB
Rake paid 3.12 BB

Last edited:
K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the pot bet range on flop looks like TPTK, 2P, Sets, & semi/straight draw
after the turn check, i think half pot call on river still ok, but ≥pot bet looks more like a value bet

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't think there is many bluff in villain range that called the flop bet, maybe K9?

J9 may check back, 77, Q9 got there

But SB vs BB I think you can adjust if villain tends to overbluff

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you're trips isn't even the nut trips. There are so many hands that beat you, 86 should be in the muck.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check/fold the flop or bet/fold. Why are you calling with bottom pair OOP and the crap end gutter if someone is betting that board?

As played, if you think someone is bad and bluffing that flop, then you're calling that river 100% of the time. Be thankful that he stupidly checked the turn.:) Wow... worst check ever on that kind of board.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My initial thoughts were to bet the flop or to check fold,so it was nice reading the comments to see John A gave that opinion. My thoughts on the river is to fold.It's a 4 to a straight board you really dont beat anything that bets for value.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard call here on the river. Can't fold trips here.
You could of easily gotten stacked here so villain should be kicking himself for missed value.
I would of led out on river though and fold to a raise. BB vs sb range is very wide so I don't want to run the risk of the river checking through with a strong hand like trips.
I think checking is still good though because there are so many draws that got there. Checking ensures you get to showdown.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Urnm yes bet/fold is a better option here.

The reason that I called on the river is the check-check on the turn which seemed weak to me. If he bets on the turn I would have fold on the turn.

If he would bet the turn for the same value he bet the river I would certainly fold as I cant stand another bet on the river.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4[/url]

BTN: 80.7 BB
Hero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 150.2 BB
UTG: 105.52 BB
MP: 100 BB
CO: 247.94 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6 8

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3.5 BB, BB calls 2.5 BB

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 8 T 9
Hero checks, BB bets 6.64 BB, Hero calls 6.64 BB

Turn: (20.28 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BB checks

River: (20.28 BB, 2 players) J
Hero checks, BB bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

BB shows 9 9 (Full House, Nines full of Eights)
(Pre 82%, Flop 86%, Turn 98%)
Hero mucks 6 8 (Three of a Kind, Eights)
(Pre 18%, Flop 14%, Turn 2%)
BB wins 59.16 BB
Rake paid 3.12 BB

I probably just fold pre tbh. Not a fan of raising blind v blind with SC's where we have to play OOP entire hand.

As played, I'm not a big fan of x/call flop. Probably just b/f or just x/f. Again, hate putting ourselves in these spots bc none of the options are really great.

Turn- fine

River- x/c I guess is okay, but I really prefer to x/f tbh. We beat absolutely nothing besides just complete air. All medium strength hands are checking back to preserve their value imo. Just lots of straight's + flushes or the occasional slowplayed boat.

L

Lezaleas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Made a quick analysis and trips are strong enough to call(this was assuming you check range on every opportunity, but having a bet range only makes our hand go up in value when we check anyways). You are probably better off calling 2pairs because blockers tough, and you have plenty of those. They are both bluffcatching at that point.
Don't listen to people going "you don't beat anything he bets for value, easy fold". The thing is that you will find some spots where 90%+ of your range is not beating any of his value, and you can't fold everything there, or you are getting bluffed to death as soon as you meet a decent player. Believe me, I'm a decent player and I exploit nits that can't bluffcatch on a daily basis.
Also, I would have gone bet/fold on the flop. Barely good enough to bet/raise, I'm probably bet/raising 87.
This is all gto of course. If your opponent is bad and doesn't bluff enough, just don't bluffcatch, fold.

Folding in Poker