€50 NLHE 6-max: Do you call or shove this river?

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
iPoker - €0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 43.06 BB (VPIP: 39.19, PFR: 20.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 81)
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 26.33, PFR: 18.98, 3Bet Preflop: 5.92, Hands: 2,259)
SB: 111.74 BB (VPIP: 52.94, PFR: 7.49, 3Bet Preflop: 4.55, Hands: 194)
Hero (BB): 241.62 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:club: Q:club:

fold, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero checks

Flop: (2 BB, 2 players) 5:club: A:spade: 4:club:
SB bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

Turn: (8 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
SB bets 6 BB, Hero raises to 28.6 BB, SB calls 22.6 BB

River: (65.2 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:
SB bets 25 BB, Hero ??

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we assume villain’s 3bet range is widest, and limping range almost maximal, he has pre range about like {88-22, A9s-A2s, K9s-K2s, Q9s-Q2s, J2s+, T2s+, 92s+, 82s+, 72s+, 62s+, 52s+, 42s+, 32s, A9o-A2o, KJo-K6o, Q9o+, J8o+, T7o+, 97o+, 87o}
Unfortunately he has no strong aces here, but some flushes and straights
If you shove, we will say he call Ax or better giving you 60% equity, thus shove is not wrong. His lead on the river should be the key factor here. I don’t know what that means, but usually small bet means weak. If we only assume he has A in his hand you have 55% and shoving is not wrong, but starting to get marginal.
So I didn’t find any conclusion to this hand, except both calling and shoving are not too far apart (probably).

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will call only since there is a chance of a higher Flush! :deal:

T

TCashMoney19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 handed against a SB limp, I don't think he has nearly enough hands that beat ours to warrant a call with almost a 1/3 size bet. Looks almost like a blocker bet with an ace that he doesn't want to call a large bet with. I think if he had something as strong as a boat or bigger flush, he would check to you almost always, since you have shown aggression on the turn and he doesn't want to lose his customer and also wants to stack you if his hand really is that nutted. So I think a raise here is almost mandatory considering the SB/BB dynamic and also with the table being 4-handed. Missing out on too much value from Ax, smaller flushes and so forth imo.

What did he end up having?

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just call, no need to shove with a hand nowhere close to nut into someone who called your raise on the turn and then led out again on the river.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove all day. Not sure it's really close honestly. You have a fish you will call with worse and a ton of Ax combos they will call with that aren't boats and lower flushes (even though there's only a couple lower ones). Obviously against more competent opponents you're only calling.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
you should have folded on flop, also poor played pre. imo

Last edited:
T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reasons for not isoing pre?
Against a fish and especially being IP QJs should be strong enough to iso. Or did any other reads on villain factor in?
As for postflop, we can't expect a fish to act in a certain way everytime, unless we have info on this particular fish. So he can still have a lot of Ahigh flushes, Khigh flushes and boats OTR, so I would just call the river.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reasons for not isoing pre?
Against a fish and especially being IP QJs should be strong enough to iso. Or did any other reads on villain factor in?
As for postflop, we can't expect a fish to act in a certain way everytime, unless we have info on this particular fish. So he can still have a lot of Ahigh flushes, Khigh flushes and boats OTR, so I would just call the river.
It's already a heads up hand. Everyone folds then SB limps....

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok so we are up against a proper fishy player so I'm raising pre flop with a hand this strong compared to his ranges. The reason is simple, these players make big mistakes so I want as much in pre flop here as I can I'd make it 4 or 5 bb to go pre flop and I take charge of the hand.
On an ok flop for our hand I'd cbet and expect to take it down from most of his range other than an ace.
We hit the flush we are usually just value town against his aces. If he raises over you on the turn then you know you've got a problem. This is the value of showing strength, if a fish raises into your betting you know he has a hand.
As played there are so many more Ax hands than flushes it's a fist pump shove for me, of course a fish like this is paying off with trip aces and if you do anything else you are being too results oriented. I'm glad to see you did shove it's just a cooler if he has you beat.