$50 NLHE 6-max: Bad river card would you bet out or check call or fold.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, hands: 18)
SB: 210.68 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 109.68 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 33.33, Hands: 6)
MP: 122.32 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 19.44, PFR: 19.44, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 38)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8 7

fold, MP raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9.5 BB, MP calls 7 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 2 players) T 5 8
Hero bets 13.34 BB, MP calls 13.34 BB

Turn: (46.18 BB, 2 players) T
Hero bets 22.82 BB, MP calls 22.82 BB

River: (91.82 BB, 2 players) 4
Hero bets 54.34 BB and is all-in, MP calls 54.34 BB

My goal is to more aggressively 3 bet so I choose hands that are easy playable post-flop such as suited connectors in this case 87s. The villain calls the 3 bet. Flop is actually good for me and bad for villains range so I decide to bet the flop with just a small paired 8. Villain calls well that could mean anything actually. The turn is a low card that is not good for villains range so I bet out again (trying to get flush over cards to fold (or pay the price) as they have very good equity against my hand. Villain calls again. On the river the flush card comes.

Perhaps a check fold might have been a better option and also a smaller turn raise?

Hero shows 8 7 (Two Pair, Tens and Eights)
(Pre 39%, Flop 47%, Turn 68%)
MP shows 9 A (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 61%, Flop 53%, Turn 32%)
MP wins 196.5 BB

Oh well better next time :D

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, in my opinion you shouldn't widen your 3bet range if you don't know how to play them postflop. You should have some gameplan and I don't see any. You don't even consider that MP range vs a 3bet is generally tight. And if it's tight we don't have so much fold equity postflop like on wide ranges. As 87s is a hand which requires fold equity postflop, because we mostly have to barrel proper boards I prefer to call it preflop. Especially vs 2.5x we get great odds.

cbet is ok.
Turn- just make a homework and put villain on range which called the flop. How do you see it? and you will see if you have a valuebet or you just turn your hand into a bluff. Please don't be result oriented and exclude A9s from his defending range, because most of the regs will just fold it. so you should generally make a note on him that he defends A9s on MP vs BB 3bet what is not a standard.
River is easy check/fold. You just beat nothing and turn your hand into a bluff. On tight ranges I guess it's not a good idea. You don't block any clubs here and I would prefer to have here a hand like AKo with one club than 89s (no clubs here).

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think check calling the turn is a reasonable option,your hands not strong enough to bet 3 streets. So river becomes a check and probably a check fold on that run out.

A

Alexchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop: like what Misaki says. But since you choose to 3bet 87s and actually it could be in the 3bet range to balance the strong hands, it is OK if you know how to play it well.

Flop: you check all your range or bet or your range. I am OK with that.

Turn: I don't quite agree with what you say. when the V call the flop actually he is representing he has a T like T9s, QTs, KTs, JTs, some flush draws, 99, or some 77, or even some QJ. Actually, I feel you should check here with most of your range even overpairs like JJ-AA and bet the river if the V check the turn. Do you think you will get value from worse hands 3 street? You don't think so right? So he will have some TX combos here and you actually only push some straight draw fold. The T will change nothing if he has 99 or nitty lower pairs.

River: check is better. The flush complete and since you don't have blockers in your hand the possibility he has flush is larger. You have thin shown down value like you still beat some nitty guys never fold the low pairs or miss drawing.

L

Lezaleas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre is good, flop is good.

Turn, I don't understand if we are value betting or bluffing?
This is just a good hand to check/call why are we pushing?
As value, We're almost never getting called by worst.
As a bluff, our hand has good showdown value, we have much weaker hands to bluff with.

River, so our hand is a bluff after all, and its fine here. Our range is heavy on overpairs and flushes that we were bluffing with and improved.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn, I don't understand if we are value betting or bluffing?
This is just a good hand to check/call why are we pushing?
As value, We're almost never getting called by worst.
As a bluff, our hand has good showdown value, we have much weaker hands to bluff with.

On the turn I am value betting targeting over-cards and flush draws with a slightly less then 1/2 pot sized bet. Not many hands can call this bet thats true but I want to charge flush draws and take the pot down now if they have over cards.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
MP here is unk. You see that he call you. Why you play here 3rd barrel with your 2nd pair with low kicker? Imo turn check and river easy check/fold. I don't see any place here for any bluff. What did you count on the river that he called you; with what? With air or with trash 5X? Why are you here most pot committed? You didn't know villain. I don't understand you line of the game. Have you mistakenly suggested his VPIP 50% after 2 hands? As for me, at your own request money thrown into the mud.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i get your strategy 3beting those kind of hands, but i think the flop is pretty good for vilain his range calling a 3bet 99+ or AJs+. as u did hit some value u may check the flop and re evaluate.
i would play those hands as hit or fold hand, by hit i mean 2pairs or draw

Folding in Poker