$5 NLHE Full Ring: What is better move. fold or call?

M

Mcclares

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 18/16/3

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 8 players

CO: 85.6 BB
Hero (BTN): 108 BB
SB: 39 BB
BB: 111.2 BB
UTG: 98.6 BB
UTG+1: 163.2 BB
MP: 118.2 BB
MP+1: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J:heart: 9:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 6 BB

Flop: (19.4 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond: 5:diamond: 2:club:
CO checks, Hero bets 9.4 BB, CO calls 9.4 BB

Turn: (38.2 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
CO checks, Hero bets 22 BB, CO calls 22 BB

River: (82.2 BB, 2 players) 2:spade:
CO bets 45.2 BB and is all-in

Thanks for advices!! And Stats attempt to steal: 41 , I have played with him total 83 hands. It is everything approximately. Jusr tell me, what you will do in this situation?:D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and flop
Preflop and flop is fine in my opinion. The flop bet is mostly a protection bet to fold out his random overcards.

Turn
The turn is, where the hand gets interesting in my opinion. You improved to two pair, but before betting again it is important to ask, if you can get worse hands to stack off? And I think, the answer is not many. Maybe QQ but that is like one hand. So I am either checking back turn or river here against a tight regular, and I might decide to check back turn.

River
Now he donk shoves, and this is just gross. I think, this line is probably a set playing scared of the flush on the turn, but when the board pair, now he have the nuts, so he ships it in. You also lose to QQ-AA with the board pairing, and of course you lose to a flush. So if I am on my absolute A-game, I will let this one go. The main thing is, this kind of player typically just dont have any bluffs in their range in a spot like this. Its all value, and unfortunately you dont beat any of his value.

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 18/16/3

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 8 players

CO: 85.6 BB
Hero (BTN): 108 BB
SB: 39 BB
BB: 111.2 BB
UTG: 98.6 BB
UTG+1: 163.2 BB
MP: 118.2 BB
MP+1: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J 9

fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 6 BB

Flop: (19.4 BB, 2 players) 9 5 2
CO checks, Hero bets 9.4 BB, CO calls 9.4 BB

Turn: (38.2 BB, 2 players) J
CO checks, Hero bets 22 BB, CO calls 22 BB

River: (82.2 BB, 2 players) 2
CO bets 45.2 BB and is all-in

Thanks for advices!! And Stats attempt to steal: 41 , I have played with him total 83 hands. It is everything approximately. Jusr tell me, what you will do in this situation?:D

Hello there Mcclares, thank you for sharing your hand.

The Preflop

Against this type of player we can be folding J9s in a low frequency and 3-bet in a low frequency if this player folds too much to 3-bet. Stats seems of a Tight player.

the postflop

The Flop

Our range that steals here can be pretty wide (as it is in fact) and I don't see many problems to c-bet 1/2 pot having TP4K, and we must ask ourselves which hands Villain is paying right now, not only flush draws but pocket pairs, etc.

The Turn

We complete a very strong hand by the same token it completes a flush draw. Here I would not value bet my range, because I have no diamonds removal and given that now I am going for 2/3 pot, if Villain goes all-in, I am in no matter what, and many times we would be calling this only versus flushes or potential flushes.
A check would work fine here with AA, KK, QQ, even JJ, TT, 99, so we do control the pot for some even worst rivers in the case completes more straights draws of flush draws.

The River

Very hard to fold here, but CO is clearly trying to represent the flush. Given that maybe CO is a Tight Aggressive player we can be calling this down in a X frequency and folding in Y frequency as well, given that Tight Aggressive are creative enough to be shoving some strong pocket pair with the blocker of diamonds, AK missing with the blocker of diamonds etc, but we never have many hopes here since at 5 NLHE specially, Tight Players are never bluff that much.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballlinamion' Barbosa

Folding in Poker