$5 NLHE Full Ring: Did I play this correctly?

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

Hero (UTG): 115.6 BB
UTG+1: 203.6 BB (VPIP: 20.29, PFR: 13.04, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 70)
MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 11.76, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 35)
CO: 164.6 BB (VPIP: 14.96, PFR: 12.82, 3Bet Preflop: 3.75, Hands: 238)
BTN: 147.2 BB (VPIP: 24.32, PFR: 8.11, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 38)
SB: 100.4 BB (VPIP: 8.70, PFR: 8.70, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
BB: 159.6 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 15.63, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 32)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Ah As
Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop : (6.4 BB, 2 players) Jc 2d 5s
BB checks, Hero bets 5 BB, BB calls 5 BB

Turn : (16.4 BB, 2 players) Ac
BB checks, Hero bets 10 BB, BB calls 10 BB

River : (36.4 BB, 2 players) 3s
BB checks, Hero bets 30 BB, BB raises to 124.8 BB, Hero calls 67.6 BB and is all-in

BB shows Ad 4c (Straight, Five High)
(Pre 8%, Flop 17%, Turn 9%)

Hero shows Ah As (Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 92%, Flop 83%, Turn 91%)

BB wins 222 BB

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry about the non-descriptive title - late at night and I don't know how to change it now haha

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I think you played it correctly. He called with his top pair bad kicker and gutshot straight and sucked out. 9/10 times he wouldn't have. Nothing you can do about it. The only thing I would've done differently is to raise it a bit more since you're UTG.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your Bet sizing is a bit strange.

River is a fold. Stacking off with just a pair is always gonna be beat in these spots at these limits

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your Bet sizing is a bit strange.

River is a fold. Stacking off with just a pair is always gonna be beat in these spots at these limits

Just a pair? He has the nut set. Most of the time that is good here. Just because villain happened to have a straight in this case doesn't mean that he will always have it. Had that 3 not hit, villain would've still probably stacked off with his weak ace thinking it's good.

F

Frozrbyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a pair? He has the nut set. Most of the time that is good here. Just because villain happened to have a straight in this case doesn't mean that he will always have it. Had that 3 not hit, villain would've still probably stacked off with his weak ace thinking it's good.

I think at these stakes it's a borderline fold or call. From the way it was played, villain's range at the river was 46,45 or a suited A4. Some players may have the middle or bottom set but I think you would have heard about it on the turn. When there's no aggression at the turn, it seems like he had caught a pair on the flop or a draw. River shove was was just an ugh spot for you. Folding sets is a really tough action and frustrating to make. Villain calls >3/4 pot size barrels chasing a gutshot and OOP. I have a hard time folding sets too and when I do, it just kills me inside. But in order to develop as a player I think it's just as important to learn make a big fold as it is to make a big call if not more.

I don't think he would've stacked off with his weak ace if the 3 had not hit unless hero shoves. He would have most likely just called because he seems more like a calling station from the way he played. Calling stations don't normally show aggression and when they do it's almost always a close to nuts.

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at these stakes it's a borderline fold or call. From the way it was played, villain's range at the river was 46,45 or a suited A4. Some players may have the middle or bottom set but I think you would have heard about it on the turn. When there's no aggression at the turn, it seems like he had caught a pair on the flop or a draw. River shove was was just an ugh spot for you. Folding sets is a really tough action and frustrating to make. Villain calls >3/4 pot size barrels chasing a gutshot and OOP. I have a hard time folding sets too and when I do, it just kills me inside. But in order to develop as a player I think it's just as important to learn make a big fold as it is to make a big call if not more.

I don't think he would've stacked off with his weak ace if the 3 had not hit unless hero shoves. He would have most likely just called because he seems more like a calling station from the way he played. Calling stations don't normally show aggression and when they do it's almost always a close to nuts.
Yeah you've got the nut set but villain is repping a str8 and you're getting better than 3:1 on the call but unless you think he called 3 streets with 33 and spazzed on the river your set is no better than a pair. It's a fold for me.

Bet bigger Pf. 3.5-5x or more if the table is calling any bet with any pair or AQ+

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Oh shit yea.

Turn bet is too small, I'm probs sigh calling the river

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always stick by never calling river raises or sudden aggression by fish though. It's always nutted hands. Top set is grim here though

F

Frozrbyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you've got the nut set but villain is repping a str8 and you're getting better than 3:1 on the call but unless you think he called 3 streets with 33 and spazzed on the river your set is no better than a pair. It's a fold for me.

Bet bigger Pf. 3.5-5x or more if the table is calling any bet with any pair or AQ+

Yeah, I would've folded too. I wouldn't like it but I would've done it anyway. Like I said villain seems like a calling station so when that shove came, top set probably ain't going to cut it.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you ever feel your villain has caught you at all... simply checking behind on the river is fine to avoid these spots.