$5 NLHE Full Ring: Flop nut straight villain gets boat on river

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in bb with A10s everyone fold except sb. I min raise he calls. Flop comes Jd Qc Kh rainbow. Villain make small bet I raise 3x his bet he shoves I call with nut straight. Villain turns over JQoff. Turn is 5c. The River comes Qh. He wins with a boat. Did I play this hand wrong? What could I have done better here?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing to worry about, it was just a bad beat. On the flop you can bet small to induce bluffs in range V. From the BB you can increase preflop to 4-5bb to polarize your opening range and confuse the villain on the next fairways.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make a standard 3BB raise preflop. On the flop make a substantial raise like 60-70% pot. 3x his bet is not enough, if it was a "small bet". None of this would have changed the outcome though. Getting drawn out on is part of the game and nothing to worry about. Sucks when it happen, but this is why, we use bankroll management.

On pokerstars you can also use all-in cash-out. After the money went in on the flop, you cash out your 80+% equity share, and then the runout does not even matter. If Villain lets it run, he is now playing against PokerStars, and if he gets there, they are the ones paying him.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got all your money in on the flop with the best hand and your opponent drawing to 4 outs. You can't do any better than that!

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your opinions everyone. Appreciate the feedback!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm in bb with A10s everyone fold except sb. I min raise he calls. Flop comes Jd Qc Kh rainbow. Villain make small bet I raise 3x his bet he shoves I call with nut straight. Villain turns over JQoff. Turn is 5c. The River comes Qh. He wins with a boat. Did I play this hand wrong? What could I have done better here?

SB doesn't fold. But SB completed or raised?
Well, we can be mixing between calling and raising in situation like this. Ever since I have no ideia if SB completed or raised, I would be calling this 60% of times if SB raises ish, and I would go for calling 80% or more if SB completes.
The reason behind it is simple, because we almost never have the best hands when we do raise or call in spots where there are BB x SB, SB x BB, SB x BTN, etc.
The only problem of raising the nuts on such a dry flop is that we are going to have thousands of folds in the long run, except a few rare cases where SB also hits a good hand such as Two Pair or Set.
There was nothing else to do following your line. If you had any plan of folding your Straight Nuts, you should not have raised OTF, to begin with.
It is what is mate, pure variance.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa