$5 NLHE 6-max: where is my mistake?

T

t0b4cc0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
Im new here and new to poker playing. Today I played my first tournaments and also some cash games. (I do play wiht money since a few days)
I want to analyze one memorable moment of my todays play with you.

https://www.boomplayer.com/31548294_5A0A0D71F8

I know that it says I should be descriptive with my post and title but Its really hard to say something like "should i have cbet after his shove on the...." if you are new to the game. Also I dont have any special stats and idk how lose or tight the game was since I do not notice something like this much.

I also hope that this player format is ok for you. I tried to convert it but the converters dont seem to work with this boom thing (and its all I had after I was done playing... ill copy the text formats in the future).

The thing I took away at first myself from that I will post as answer later so it doesnt mess with the analysis (since it contains spoilers): And Id like your analysis of that aswell (im not here to just learn poker, im here to learn to learn poker!).

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had 60 bb and your hand was too poor to face the blind.
This is a fold preflop.
You should look for better hands to open a pot with half a stack.
Greetings.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should play a full stack 100bb , preflop is fine and i would cbet that flop with the gs bdfd and overs. Otherweise it's played fine the flop check isnt bad i dont think and turn and river play is fine.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its part of poker, that sometimes we will have a very good hand, but our opponent just happen to have something even better. So losing a pot does not mean, we did something wrong. This is really important to understand, because otherwise we end up being way to results oriented.

Overall you actually did nothing really wrong in this hand, but I do think, I see some issues in this hand, that might be of a more general nature. Preflop you mini-raise. Would you also have done that with AA or AK? If not you are announcing the strength of your hand already, which is not the best idea especially against good players.

On the flop you checked back, and as others have said, this was a good spot for a C-bet. Your opponent has missed this board a lot, and if you only C-bet, when you hit really strongly, you give yourself less ways to win the pot, and become easy to play against.

On the turn you made a straight, and now you bet the size of the pot. Especially coming after a mini-raise and a check, you are almost announcing to your opponent, exactly what you have. I would much rather have gotten some more money in preflop and on the flop.

The river was not the greatest card, since now a flush and full house is possible. I still agree with betting for value though, and half pot is fine. But when he raise, I feel like womiting. In theory its not wrong to give him action, because he could be bluffing, and you only need to be good one out of four times to break even. But in reality a raise on the river is essentially always the nuts in a game like 5NL or at least super often.

Take-aways:
*Only use one betsizing preflop and probably not a mini-raise
* Learn to C-bet the flop like a champion
* Dont pot it, when you improve
* At least consider bet-folding the river

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All was wrong!) Idea of blind stealing was good but sizing was awful (0.12-0.15 is good) Also you should to bluff on the flop (gutshot + backdoor flush). Bet sizing on the turn is extremely bad you just told to your opponent 'I got the straight' and he told to you 'Ok but I have the outs to punish you' and called you. With straight he should 2bet you on the turn. His outs was the flush draw, the 9s, or T9 to get bigger straight, or sets + 2 pairs. The river closed the most likely out and you raised him to represent pocket 6s(?) but no one will believe that line. Opps river 2 bet showed the full house openly but you called him. I think you knew that he had the full house but called him by inertia.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A flop bet would have been good, with the backdoor flush draw, 2 overs and the gutter. Other than that, unfortunate, and move on to the next hand.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in preflop would be the right move.