$5 NLHE 6-max: Tought wet board OOP against a Passive Fish!

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 117.6 BB
SB: 77.2 BB
BB: 120.8 BB
UTG: 110 BB

Hero (MP): 100 BB
CO: 117.8 BB (VPIP: 71.43, PFR: 14.29, Hands: 40)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, CO posts penalty blind 1.4 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.8 BB) Hero has A Q

fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (11.8 BB, 2 players) T Q J
Hero bets 11.4 BB, CO calls 11.4 BB

Especially 'cause he is a Passive Fish, my question is:
Q1: My CBet can possibly be bigger?? If yes, what bet size would you make here?

Turn: (34.6 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero ???

Q1: Would you continue value betting here? If yes, what size would you make?

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why not c-bet smaller? our losses would be minimum if they catch their draw on the next streets

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can just check/call this hand on the flop and bet/fold small on the turn against passive fish if he does not bet the flop.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually think you should bet smaller on that flop.
On the turn is an easy check call or bet small like 1/2 pot. We just want to get to showdown as cheaply as possible on that board out of position.
I'd check fold the river.

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for you, for all the responses. In my opinion, my bet needs to be big, especially 'cause he is a Passive fish. When i'm value betting, I need to make it as big as what He call me with worst hands. Given that he is a fish, there is a tons of draws here like 9x, Kx and etc. that he can calls me. I need to charge this draws, forcing him to make a big mistake. I think if he is a Reg, bet smaller or even check/call is the best option.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You really don't have enough info on him to know how passive he is. You just know he plays too many hands and is likely a fish.

You should c-bet smaller, not larger on that board texture, and just check the turn.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as I appreciate the exploit flop size I think this is a touch too big. Vs even passive fish this sizing makes it easy.

I prefer the too big sizing than a small size though.

The turn just sucks. I prefer a bet fold line on the turn, if we’re called and it bricks of same again on the river.

Check call lines don’t work vs s passive fish, and we don’t want to give a free card, or let a bad villain of the hook with Q5, KJ type hands.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for you, for all the responses. In my opinion, my bet needs to be big, especially 'cause he is a Passive fish. When i'm value betting, I need to make it as big as what He call me with worst hands. Given that he is a fish, there is a tons of draws here like 9x, Kx and etc. that he can calls me. I need to charge this draws, forcing him to make a big mistake. I think if he is a Reg, bet smaller or even check/call is the best option.
Only 40 hands but still opponent seems to be loose passive at least preflop. Most of the time that translates to passive on every street.

The big problem here though is that the board is so wet that you cant know if your ahead or behind and you only have a K as a possible draw if your behind. You will get better opportunities then this. So would bet smaller e.g. 2/3 pot instead of full pot.

That is a very bad flop a 9 and the flush draw got there. On the turn it is a check call if the bet is like 1/2 pot anything bigger I would fold here.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only 40 hands but still opponent seems to be loose passive at least preflop. Most of the time that translates to passive on every street.

The big problem here though is that the board is so wet that you cant know if your ahead or behind and you only have a K as a possible draw if your behind. You will get better opportunities then this. So would bet smaller e.g. 2/3 pot instead of full pot.

That is a very bad flop a 9 and the flush draw got there. On the turn it is a check call if the bet is like 1/2 pot anything bigger I would fold here.

Isn’t a check call line the worst of all options? Villains betting range is certainly narrower than a calling range.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn’t a check call line the worst of all options? Villains betting range is certainly narrower than a calling range.

Not necessarily his range could be wider when he bets to your passiveness and even passive fish make bluffs when checked to. But it is more out of pot control and hope for a check-check.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like smaller CB too. I'm thinking the same way than Gabe, bet/fold all the way but not too large, if we want to pot control, river should be better spot for that given he should still call us even with A-high because it's a gut.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take some time to study bet sizings and why you should bet different sizings.

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Betting all the way through folding to very big raises ;)

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the suggestion! What materials do you recommend for this topic???
I couldnt tell you specifically, as my own bet sizing strategy has come from a lot of different sources filtered through my own study. Maybe googling "poker bet sizing strategy" would be a good place to start

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think against fishes (considering you are talking about a NIT), big size bets has the same effect of low sizes, one point is important, when a nit pays, be aware. Besides this board set your top pair in hard situations with relevant frequency. When he pays on that board I would try to control the pot with 2 possibilities, calling a cheap bet on the river or fold for more agressive actions.:D
PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 117.6 BB
SB: 77.2 BB
BB: 120.8 BB
UTG: 110 BB

Hero (MP): 100 BB
CO: 117.8 BB (VPIP: 71.43, PFR: 14.29, Hands: 40)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, CO posts penalty blind 1.4 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.8 BB) Hero has A Q

fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (11.8 BB, 2 players) T Q J
Hero bets 11.4 BB, CO calls 11.4 BB

Especially 'cause he is a Passive Fish, my question is:
Q1: My CBet can possibly be bigger?? If yes, what bet size would you make here?

Turn: (34.6 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero ???

Q1: Would you continue value betting here? If yes, what size would you make?