$5 NLHE 6-max: Top of range check raised on wet flop... what hands do we fold?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We ever fold this flop? I called b/c he could do this with so much, plus I have a flush blocker. What do we fold here, though? Just curious how to play these spots against BB.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 104 BB
SB: 99.8 BB (VPIP: 22.86, PFR: 2.86, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 38)
BB: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 21.21, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 35)
CO: 157.6 BB (VPIP: 30.91, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 57)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: Q:spade:

fold, Hero raises to 2.8 BB, fold, BB calls 1.8 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond: 5:spade: 8:spade:
BB checks, Hero bets 3 BB, BB raises to 13.4 BB, Hero calls 10.4 BB

Turn: (32.8 BB, 2 players) 6:spade:
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (32.8 BB, 2 players) 8:club:
BB bets 17.2 BB, fold

BB wins 31.2 BB

0.4 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We ever fold this flop? I called b/c he could do this with so much, plus I have a flush blocker. What do we fold here, though? Just curious how to play these spots against BB.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 104 BB
SB: 99.8 BB (VPIP: 22.86, PFR: 2.86, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 38)
BB: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 21.21, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 35)
CO: 157.6 BB (VPIP: 30.91, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 57)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, Hero raises to 2.8 BB, fold, BB calls 1.8 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) 9 5 8
BB checks, Hero bets 3 BB, BB raises to 13.4 BB, Hero calls 10.4 BB

Turn: (32.8 BB, 2 players) 6
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (32.8 BB, 2 players) 8
BB bets 17.2 BB, fold

BB wins 31.2 BB

0.4 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

Thank U 4 Posting.

BB smashes this flop. Why are we betting flop?

When a board like this flops we must be thinking about getting to showdown our hands for the very reason this run out demonstrates. This board is not bad for us it is terrible. Not just wet but coordinated as well. We bet for protection vs Kx and Ax but all spade combos call anyway.

QQ by the river is 35th best hand. BB can bluff this river with any 2 cards and we should be folding.

Qs in our hand means we want to check as well because we have backdoor equity.

We have to make hero calls to keep our villains honest by checking flop we can probably call turn and river for what it cost us to call the flop check raise. this may limit future bluffs.

Hope this helps

:):)

delirium1129

delirium1129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow! This is rly hard decision here. I think it's better to calculate here but without stats we can't do it.
I would assume that bb will call you with 60% range on the preflop.

On the flop QQ had 72% vs opps 28% and that means you made good raise on the flop but opps 2bet showed rly strong hand and very rarely that was bluff.

Best for you opp had A-9/JJ/TT/77/66 but JJ/TT could raise you on the preflop.

Turn killed a lot of chances to win with QQ.

River improved QQ only vs 9-5s.

That means on the turn and river your opp was ahead. What about flop I think you should fold vs 2bet but call or raise doesn't look like bad move.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting.

BB smashes this flop. Why are we betting flop?

When a board like this flops we must be thinking about getting to showdown our hands for the very reason this run out demonstrates. This board is not bad for us it is terrible. Not just wet but coordinated as well. We bet for protection vs Kx and Ax but all spade combos call anyway.

QQ by the river is 35th best hand. BB can bluff this river with any 2 cards and we should be folding.

Qs in our hand means we want to check as well because we have backdoor equity.

We have to make hero calls to keep our villains honest by checking flop we can probably call turn and river for what it cost us to call the flop check raise. this may limit future bluffs.

Hope this helps

:):)

I actually do understand your ambition to bet flop but can also follow the logic outlined here. We are risking getting checkraised and we might be drawing dead already. You will likely face a turn bet and have to give up then anyways. Hence I agree with the post to manage potsize here and check behind. I’d rather bet something like A9 here which limits his 2paor combinations.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well played in my opinion. Possibly this villain is a tight player. Although the sample of hands we have is small, we can observe a little that trend that BB has.
In the flop, the size you chose seems correct, although maybe if you make a slightly larger size (for example a c bet that is between 60-65% of the pot size), you can get a call of this type of villain (apparently conservative). And as a result, you would have a stronger image of your range on the turn.
I think that you call is acceptable in the flop, after the villain's 3-bet. Because Since your rank, block several combined draws that the villain could have. For example: As-Ks; Js-Ts; Js-7s; etc. However, you don't block 6-7. So you are in a thin line, where you must play with the necessary observation, to act according to your perception.
On the turn, the 6s is a street that impacts your range and also the BB. For what we assume is a negative effect on your range, which is compensated, for the influence that also exists in the v range. Therefore, the check is the standard play for your protection of hand.
On the river, the 8c is a street that clearly benefits the BB. Now the villain retains the strongest part of his rank, thanks to the 3-bet he made in the flop. At this moment, we are almost always in a call / fold decision, but considering the whole hand in general and the probable characteristics of this player in the BB, possibly our range has little capacity, to defend our position.
Regards.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over pairs are really just bluff catching on that board. It's better to check back the flop and evaluate on the turn vs most players. It is better to lose a small pot vs a range that mostly beats your actual hand than risk a large portion of your stack because you were ahead pre flop.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker