$5 NLHE 6-max: Simple turn bet IP on paired board 3bet pot

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain 28 hands, VPIP 15, RFI 23, PFR 12, CB 2/2, AFq 2/3, 3bet 0/10 -> He is shaping up to be another nitty wannabe tag with passive traits.

Hero passive and nitty

Assuming his range for value: TT+, AK, for bluff not so many given stats of both hero and villain, let say something like one random pair, and some Ax, one suited connector. I think he will CB his whole range, he also probably checks his whole range (at least sometimes) on the turn.

On turn hero decides to make a bet, now the problem is that bet is made as a blocker bet & deny equity for river and not for value.

Q1: Would you say this is standard value bet on the turn? If not value bet how you would classify it?

Q2: How would you play turn and river?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 63.2 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
SB: 161 BB (VPIP: 18.92, PFR: 16.22, 3Bet Preflop: 13.33, Hands: 39)
BB: 51.8 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
UTG: 109.4 BB (VPIP: 16.38, PFR: 14.66, 3Bet Preflop: 2.08, Hands: 120)
Hero (MP): 151.4 BB
CO: 141.2 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, SB raises to 9 BB, fold, Hero calls 6 BB

Flop: (19 BB, 2 players) 7 T 3
SB bets 13 BB, Hero calls 13 BB

Turn: (45 BB, 2 players) T
SB checks, Hero bets 20 BB, SB calls 20 BB

River: (85 BB, 2 players) 2
SB checks, Hero checks

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, the turn is a VB, and I'd prefer betting there. The river is also a VB. You have 7x, 88+. If you're betting ~35 on the river, you can fold to a shove and squeeze value from more second best hand combos.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx John. I’m trying to push myself against not turning to too nit and this hand was a candidate for twisted though process. It’s hard though, this guy had AA so in theory I should be happy but it’s getting a bit too weak.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’d 4B pre as standard. But you have the read, sb 3B ranges should be fairly wide though.

I think given the read (I’m not saying its reliable btw) that the bet on the turn to buy the sd is pretty good.

The thing is once the T pairs we have a great bluff opportunity. I wouldn’t expect villain to have too many aces and kings after checking the turn so I would value bet river. But if I thought he did and he was nitty I’m jamming this card. We get close to 100% folds by jamming, lose 35% of the time by checking.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play is standard pre and on the flop. When Villain checks the turn I'd see this as weakness or a trap. I think the turn bet is a required value bet. When Villain calls the turn and checks the river, she is either folding to a bet or trapping. In either case the best play is to check back.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the turn bet, his 3bet range from SB will be a bit wider I would assume so you can still get called by worse. River, not sure, might just check. You can sometimes go for thin value by betting small but I dont hate the check. I assume that most of his turn calling range that you dominate is gonna fold to the river bet, so I dont hate the check.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think given the read (I’m not saying its reliable btw)
Yes, not reliable, especially SB upswing gives no calling range, only 3bets. That is not typical player pool behavior though.
The thing is once the T pairs we have a great bluff opportunity. I wouldn’t expect villain to have too many aces and kings after checking the turn so I would value bet river. But if I thought he did and he was nitty I’m jamming this card. We get close to 100% folds by jamming, lose 35% of the time by checking.
I recognized that the board ‘has dynamics’ but failed to come up with these ideas. ty.
In either case the best play is to check back.
Your thought process was 100% like mine, except that value part on turn was on third priority in hero’s mind.
I assume that most of his turn calling range that you dominate is gonna fold to the river bet, so I dont hate the check.
This might well be true especially if small bet indicates small made hand typically, so you need to be selective what to call.