$5 NLHE 6-max: Sickening flop shove with AA

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 29/20/7

Not sure what to say really. Late at night after a long and pretty horrible session where nothing much was going my way. I was on the comeback from being about 3 buy ins down, and had made two of them back but been up and down like a yo-yo all night. Was about to pack it in and then AA came my way. Villain seemed very interested pre flop, and on the flop my AA looked to be crushing any premium pairs he might have had... not sure if it was a rush of blood or just a feeling he would snap call given the pre flop action and his very high aggression factor, in either case I shoved all the rest of the money in....

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
Hero (BB): 221.6 BB
CO: 101.4 BB
BTN: 125.2 BB
SB: 212.6 BB
SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:diamond: A:spade:
fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, SB raises to 29 BB, Hero raises to 59 BB, SB calls 30 BB
Flop: (118 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond: 3:diamond: 2:heart:
SB checks, Hero bets 162.6 BB and is all-in, SB calls 153.6 BB and is all-in
Turn: (425.2 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:
River: (425.2 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:
Hero shows A:diamond: A:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Threes)
(Pre 80%, Flop 92%, Turn 95%)
SB shows J:club: J:heart: (Two Pair, Jacks and Threes)
(Pre 20%, Flop 8%, Turn 5%)
Hero wins 404 BB

Felt good to pull that one off.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I think flop shove was totally unnecessary. You got it in this time, but most of other times villain would sigh and fold all of his non made hands and even some of his middling pairs if he had. You denied him opportunity to bluff with AK, KQ type of hands and for no reason really. You are absolutely not afraid of any turn.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree with above poster and say that was a pretty terrible flop bet. You have aces on the most dry board possible. There will be times villain will have suited connectors which he 3bet and then flatted a 4bet with and you are just shutting out any possibility for further action.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode I: The Fish Menace

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 29/20/7

Not sure what to say really. Late at night after a long and pretty horrible session where nothing much was going my way. I was on the comeback from being about 3 buy ins down, and had made two of them back but been up and down like a yo-yo all night. Was about to pack it in and then AA came my way. Villain seemed very interested pre flop, and on the flop my AA looked to be crushing any premium pairs he might have had... not sure if it was a rush of blood or just a feeling he would snap call given the pre flop action and his very high aggression factor, in either case I shoved all the rest of the money in....

Pacific Poker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
Hero (BB): 221.6 BB
CO: 101.4 BB
BTN: 125.2 BB
SB: 212.6 BB
SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A A
fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, SB raises to 29 BB, Hero raises to 59 BB, SB calls 30 BB
Flop: (118 BB, 2 players) 2 3 2
SB checks, Hero bets 162.6 BB and is all-in, SB calls 153.6 BB and is all-in
Turn: (425.2 BB, 2 players) 8
River: (425.2 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero shows A A (Two Pair, Aces and Threes)
(Pre 80%, Flop 92%, Turn 95%)
SB shows J J (Two Pair, Jacks and Threes)
(Pre 20%, Flop 8%, Turn 5%)
Hero wins 404 BB

Felt good to pull that one off.

Hi there GreenDaddy1, thank you for posting your hand.
First, Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 29/20/7 for how many hands? 10 hands or 1000 hands? Because these stats can be very tricky in a small sample. ;)
We are not playing statistics and HUD tracker (only). The aggression factor of Villain will only be solid when you have a pretty decent sample of hands played, otherwise you can be mislead into miscalculation and error.
Some good players don't even use HUD so we see that statitics are good in poker, but not essential for decision-making.

Emotional control and balance

Quoting yourself: "Late at night after a long and pretty horrible session where nothing much was going my way. I was on the comeback from being about 3 buy ins down, and had made two of them back but been up and down like a yo-yo all night."

As you clearly explained for us, you had a long and terrible session. We don't need to play long cash sessions to begin with: when you see that you started a session and already have one or two "bad beats"/"coolers" just give it away and stay out of the tables!
We don't need to try to recover our losses and, considering this is 5 NLHE, losing 3 buy-ins is more than enough to trigger a huge tilt.

The preflop action plus emotional control (or lack of it)

I understand that Villain could be a recreational but we know that ranges that open from SB, BB, CO and BTN are generally dynamic: we are going to find a few times AA, KK, QQ, AKs and AQs, and most of times we will find a lot of hands, varying from 15% to 50% range (depending on the player and the stakes we are in).
When you 3-bet your pocket A's in a situation of BB x SB you gotta be very sure that Villain doesn't fold a lot to 3-bet. Otherwise, as anybody knows, you are turning a very sweet preflop nuts into a bluff. IF Sb folds your 3-bet your AA is done. :p
You could also have called the SB's 4-bet, considering that you are deep stacked and we don't want to go all-in preflop very often in situations like this.

The Flop

We already know that SB is a whale. Otherwise it would have folded this JJ in the flop.
When you 5-bet, Deep Stacked you maybe will have A2s and A3s (if you have a 4-bet/5-bet bluffing range).
But, as long as that players at the micros are simply 4-betting/5-betting AA, KK and AKs there is no risk of finding A2 and A3 in a range like this.
This is a mistake that almost the whole field commits, deliberately: when it comes a lower board, players are more inclined to go with TT, JJ and QQ, forgetting that when the hand began, there was a 4-bet-5-bet preflop narrowing both ranges. :cool:
Another thing to observe here in SB's shoes is the superficial reading on the flop: when you go all-in flop in a 5-bet pot you will have AA, KK and AdKd, only.
AA could go all-in here knowing the SB is weak, okay
KK could go all-in here knowing the SB is weak, okay.
AdKd could not go all-in here only with two overs and a overcard.
When Hero goes all-in like this in the flop, it simply has no bluffs, because it is a deep stack pot.
It also looks like that BB got scared of the flush draw, but SB will not have many AKs in its range right now.
SB calls a 5-bet because it is a weak player. JJ will not play good in a 5-bet pot unless it hits a set.
SB calls a ALL-IN flop because SB is a recreational: A recreational player will make dry reads of the boards and put BB in only one possible hand. SB thinks that BB is going all in only with AKs, AQs, and with the flush draws.
SB can never see that in a situation like this, BB will never have TT, 99 and 88, because those are hands that are not included in any 5-bet range either for value or for bluff.
So, BB can ONLY have a flush-draw so is a insta-call. :D
It is very obvious that SB is a majestic chip-donator-whale, so I see no problem in unbalancing your range like you did, in a monstruous manner (going all in flop in a situation where you have no bluffs that could to the same).
Very well played, but remember, when you start to feel angry, or feel that you have lost 1 or 2 buy-ins and you are beginning to feel the steam, the heat, the anger, leave the tables, forget about poker and return next day.
Many times when we are angry and go all-in deep stack in a situation like this and SB hits a Jack in the turn/river we will not be able to leave the tables and we are going to stay very mad.

About so-called "bad-beats":

Note: bad beats don't exist. What really exist is a mathematical event that WILL happen from time to time whether we like it, whether we are the master, whether we are going to get nuts, etc.
See that the ratio in poker is almost never absolute: when we are destroying with our equity we will have, for example 90% of equity in the turn and we must put all the chips in the middle. Means that 10% of times, Villain will hit its equity
Most of times we are in breakeven spots where we are 55% vs 45% or 60% x 40% and those are huge numbers:
Let's consider that we have 10% of chance of dying today. Is this a small number or a big number? ;)

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the others have said, it seem a little unnessesary to overbet jam the flop. I am never folding AA, when the SPR is this low, but there is stack enough behind to at least make it a 2 street hand. Maybe bet 1/3 pot on the flop, rest in on the turn.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the others have said, it seem a little unnessesary to overbet jam the flop. I am never folding AA, when the SPR is this low, but there is stack enough behind to at least make it a 2 street hand. Maybe bet 1/3 pot on the flop, rest in on the turn.

I agree with your thinking. It is a pretty good situation for us, but anyway I would choose a slightly larger size on the flop (for example 50% of the pot) since we have a flush blocker.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on the come back. I agree with others on sizing. You have two options if we are 5 betting. One is to go small as you did here and then bet 1/3 pot flop and jam turn as fundiver suggested. The other is to 5 bet larger to 2.5x making it 75 BB instead of 59 BB. Then there is 150 BB in the pot and 137 BB effective behind. If we want to jam flop we should set up this super low SPR and jam less than a pot sized bet. Facing more skillful Vs we will get more value if we avoid 1.5x overbet jamming relatively dry flops in 5 bet pots. We even block AKdd here so we should be getting tons of folds from QQ- and AK. Try not to let the fish off the hook easily.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with fundiver here, c-bet small between 20-33% depending on spr in these spots and then jam most turns.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer a cbet too, since we have certainly the best hand and we want to subtract as many chips as possible from our villain or give him a chance to bluff, BUT then villain 4bets and flats a 5bet.
Maybe the push on the flop is a good move after all because looks a bit like we want to force him out of the hand on a pretty rag flop.
Given that we know your hands and the streets and villain's 4bet and call on your 5bet (wow) I guess his intentions was to play for stacks with his JJ, so you gonna bust him whatever moves/bets you make xD.

Last edited:
TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Totally agree. If they re-raise the flop bet, it's an insta-shove on our part here.