$5 NLHE 6-max: Re-raise on the flop ZOOM

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was at a total loss what to do here. I played only about 10 hands with him. I think my check-raise looked really strong here and then he comes over the top like that. He re-raised pretty fast as well.

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $5.17 (103 bb)
MP: $9.05 (181 bb)
CO: $5.36 (107 bb)
BU: $6.64 (133 bb)
SB (Hero): $6.07 (121 bb)
BB: $5.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with J Q
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.10, BTN calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.35) J T Q (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.09, BTN calls $0.09, Hero raises to $0.42, CO raises to $1.69, BU folds, Hero???

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not quite understand the meaning of your actions. What reaction did you expect from a villain, and why did you fold two pairs? Of course, straight is possible, but then there was no need to re-raise.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 hands is nothing. 100 hands is the minimum sample size required in order to even consider the accuracy of limited reads. Of course, you have top two pair and shouldn't fold here as he can have bottom two pair or being overaggressive with an open straight draw. There's no flush draw and if he has a straight, it's just a cooler.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 hands is nothing. 100 hands is the minimum sample size required in order to even consider the accuracy of limited reads. Of course, you have top two pair and shouldn't fold here as he can have bottom two pair or being overaggressive with an open straight draw. There's no flush draw and if he has a straight, it's just a cooler.

So I should shove?

I did not quite understand the meaning of your actions. What reaction did you expect from a villain, and why did you fold two pairs? Of course, straight is possible, but then there was no need to re-raise.

My thinking was that he re-raised to protect his made hand. He could have a straight and protecting it from a full house. He could have a set and protecting it from a straight. If he was on a draw, re-raising my check-raise doesn't make much sense when he can see it cheaper after a strong check-raise that would likely get atleast a call.

I have been playing at 0.01/0.02 for a long time and I just moved up, so I don't know the regs on this limit yet. If this was a fish on the 0.01/0.02, I would shove, but here I was being more cautious for that reason. Maybe that's a wrong way of thinking but that's what I thought.

Last edited:
Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On this board you have less nutted hands like sets/nut straight than CO open, if I assign CO shoving range to {KK-TT,AKs,KQs,K9s,Q9s,AKo,KQo}, , you have roughly 33% equity

Also BTN is acting behind so I think CO will bluff less so I think it is a fold against good regs.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a spot your going to see the straight very frequently it's whether you see TJ KJ KK AA often enough here to warrent shoving and for me probably not. I think the hands your ahead of either fold or call on that flop so it's oribably better for us to just call the flop and keep those hands in the villains range. But i dont see shvoing top two here either as being a huge mistake or anything once you have raised.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a spot your going to see the straight very frequently it's whether you see TJ KJ KK AA often enough here to warrent shoving and for me probably not. I think the hands your ahead of either fold or call on that flop so it's oribably better for us to just call the flop and keep those hands in the villains range. But i dont see shvoing top two here either as being a huge mistake or anything once you have raised.

I thought about that as well, but I knew that if I would call the money would go in eventually anyway. I played some more on this limit tonight and there are more crazy all-ins than on 0.01/0.02 so now I'm thinking I should've just shoved. :p

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was at a total loss what to do here. I played only about 10 hands with him. I think my check-raise looked really strong here and then he comes over the top like that. He re-raised pretty fast as well.

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $5.17 (103 bb)
MP: $9.05 (181 bb)
CO: $5.36 (107 bb)
BU: $6.64 (133 bb)
SB (Hero): $6.07 (121 bb)
BB: $5.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with J Q
2 players fold, CO raises to $0.10, BTN calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.35) J T Q (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.09, BTN calls $0.09, Hero raises to $0.42, CO raises to $1.69, BU folds, Hero???

Thank you for posting.

We must be mentally prepared for villains to make a raise there. We do this by thinking of villains hand ranges preflop and on the flop prior to our check raise.
AK will bet 9 then reraise. So will QQ JJ 1010 and KK. In wild games like these so will AA and Q10 KQ AQ even.
There are very few hands that are bet call hands that lead for 9.

By thinking about the hand ranges preflop we instantly prepare ourselves for multiple actions by villains.
So the raise comes as expected, we now look at pot odds.

pot is 2.64 1.25 to call 2-1.
What think about our data.
Can we get an average equity of 50% vs villains range?
Will villain shove any turn or shut down?

Should we fold and move on to easier hands? This is zoom after all.

My point is to be lost means we are not prepared before we take an action and do not know what to base our next action on.

Think about the data you have and use it to make decisions.

Hope this helps

:):)

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought about that as well, but I knew that if I would call the money would go in eventually anyway. I played some more on this limit tonight and there are more crazy all-ins than on 0.01/0.02 so now I'm thinking I should've just shoved. :p

You can usually differentiate them pretty quickly, but yep there are lots of them around. And in a vacuum hands like KK+,AQs,KJs-KTs,QTs-Q9s,JTs,AQo,KJo-KTo,QTo,JTo cant be ruled out. Once you raise you have to call it off it's just whether raising is better than flatting vs the cbet and raising is probably more than ok.

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have folded pre with QJo and called with QJs. Is this standard online? Seems really weak and OOP. Even if we flop a pair we could be in bad shape. Seems too light to 3 bet as well. At any rate, once we call we are capping our range and repping really thin on this flop. The best hand we can really have here is 89. We can have 2 pair but we can't really rep AK or a set. For that reason I really don't like the raise on the flop. Just flat on the rainbow board with top two. We could potentially make more by keeping the third player in too. Once we x/r and get 3 bet we are bluff catching against a narrow range of KK, KQ, KJ, etc... If V is good they will keep on the pressure on the turn since again we never have the nuts here since we just flatted pre. Maybe V slows down if the board pairs. I think I fold to the three bet and cut our losses.

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CO is uncapped and has way too many combos that beat you. . . Fold pre or squeeze, I lean towards folding.

Sure we block QQ/JJ but he has every combo of AK, the remaining combos of QQ/JJ, TT, 89s, K9s, and even possibly K9o / 89o which are reasonable opens from the CO.

As played not raising flop, and then just folding to the flop 3b after we do.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CO is using typical fish like bet sizing both pre and flop thus in 5NL zoom we must assume he is a fish. So after we get re-raised we need to get it in on the flop imo, but then again folding is not a big deal probably.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BINGO:

On this board you have less nutted hands like sets/nut straight than CO open, if I assign CO shoving range to {KK-TT,AKs,KQs,K9s,Q9s,AKo,KQo}, , you have roughly 33% equity

Also BTN is acting behind so I think CO will bluff less so I think it is a fold against good regs.

We shouldn't even be check raising because of the above imo. It's a board we will connect with a lot, but we're at a nut disadvantage since we can likely only have the bottom straight, no sets, and villain can probably have top and bottom straight, plus all sets.

Our range as a whole also benefits from having hands like this in our call range when the board pairs the turn as well.

If I am check raising this flop it's because I think the villain is very weak and is never folding AQ, AA, etc. In which case I'm check/raise/fist pump high fiving my friends before snap getting it in.