$5 NLHE 6-max: nuts or air?

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker stars, $0.02/$0.05, $0.01 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players DEEP.

SB: $13.03 (260.6 bb)
Hero (BB): $11.70 (234 bb)
UTG: $2.53 (50.6 bb)
MP: $10.72 (214.4 bb)
CO: $14.55 (291 bb) Marked as an eagle on HM2. 25/17/ 43%agg in 630 hands
BTN: $5.52 (110.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A
heart4.gif
A
spade4.gif

UTG calls $0.05, MP raises to $0.20, CO calls $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.93, 2 folds, CO calls $0.73

Flop: ($2.19) K
diamond4.gif
T
diamond4.gif
heart4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $1.05, CO calls $1.05

Turn: ($4.29) 4
spade4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $2.05, CO calls $2.05

River: ($8.39) 3
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $8,
Hero?
I'm only really worried about AJ AQ suited here but that is a small part of his range and would he bet so big with any value hand?. There are 80bb in the middle already
It's so polarised anyone give me a sensible fold/call ratio?

Last edited:
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to make your bet sizes bigger. Normally with 100 big blind stacks, half pot bets are plenty big. But with deeper stacks, you need to bet larger so that your opponent has less implied odds and you can play for stacks if you like.

This bigger betsize also applies preflop, so I like your large-ish 3-bet. That got the stack-to-pot ratio to about 5. You could still go a little bigger ($1-$1.05).

Just shove it in on the river. Flushes are pretty rare in 3-bet pots, because there are many fewer suited hands in your opponent's range. With the small bets, the river bet size is a little on the big side, but you're not giving up with only a potsized bet behind.

J

JKo2theQQ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OUCH!!... I didn't see that coming. Anyway, I think I'm leaning towards air. I agree with your assessment that AQ, AJ, are his most likely diamond hands. I would imagine that those hands would be raising with a flop like that. Also, like you said, why such a big bet if he's holding the nuts. When you checked the river, that clearly says that you did not like that diamond. If I'm holding diamonds, I would throw out a 2 or 3 dollar suck bet and hope you want to see my cards. I do think you should have charged him more on the flop and turn, but AQ or AJ of diamonds weren't going to fold anyway.
Bottom line...you are getting 3 to 1 and I don't think he has it. I'm calling 80% of the time here.
Good Luck

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I called. Villain had 9T of spades.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because you are so deep CO will call any hand he called UTG open, your range OTR is mostly TP. Not that many players 5NL 6max are trying to push opponent away from TP and only few are trying any bluff when playing deep, so imo in the long run this is easily losing call.
Had you more information about the villain then maybe a call, but he is mostly passive if you look his VPIP / PRF difference.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because you are so deep CO will call any hand he called UTG open, your range OTR is mostly TP. Not that many players 5NL 6max are trying to push opponent away from TP and only few are trying any bluff when playing deep, so imo in the long run this is easily losing call.
Had you more information about the villain then maybe a call, but he is mostly passive if you look his VPIP / PRF difference.

No buddy he is not passive, 43% post flop aggression is 10% higher than most regs.... in fact the reason i made this call is because hes an aggressive regular who is clearly capable of floating and bluffing in this spot.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No buddy he is not passive, 43% post flop aggression is 10% higher than most regs.... in fact the reason i made this call is because hes an aggressive regular who is clearly capable of floating and bluffing in this spot.
This information should be in the opening post.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This information should be in the opening post.
It is....next to his stack size. 27/17 43% agg
I prefer post flop agg as a better indicator of river agg opposed to overall AF which includes preflop action.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice read. Catching bluffs with high price favors you.

I would have folded river even he is so aggressive postflop.

weldphaser

weldphaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't post results bro. But also need more stats and reads given 600 hands.

Otherwise yeah you played hand decent. But I would get more in before the river

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also go with a fold here but the one thing i will do different is bet more on the flop and the turn. I prefer not betting half pot in cash games.

If we want value then we bet a big chunk of the pot.