$5 NLHE 6-max: Good spot for a check raise?

• Thread starter teh_colonel_saigon
  • Start date
teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is a 38/34 with a 22% cbet. KTo might be slightly outside our calling range IP, so we should just stick to suited combos? We're raise folding off suit ones?

I figure he'll C-bet with just 108 combos out of his 22% and call/jam over with just 30-40 of those.

Let me know! I'm trying to bring some more aggression into my game, getting hurt bad out there! :icon_flow

Yatahay Network - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 102.8 BB
CO: 152.8 BB
Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 104 BB
BB: 101 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T K

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, SB raises to 7.4 BB, fold, Hero calls 5 BB

Flop: (15.8 BB, 2 players) Q A Q
SB bets 11.8 BB, Hero raises to 41.2 BB

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villain is a 38/34 with a 22% cbet. KTo might be slightly outside our calling range IP, so we should just stick to suited combos? We're raise folding off suit ones?

I figure he'll C-bet with just 108 combos out of his 22% and call/jam over with just 30-40 of those.

Let me know! I'm trying to bring some more aggression into my game, getting hurt bad out there! :icon_flow

Yatahay Network - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 102.8 BB
CO: 152.8 BB
Hero (BTN): 100 BB
SB: 104 BB
BB: 101 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T K

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, SB raises to 7.4 BB, fold, Hero calls 5 BB

Flop: (15.8 BB, 2 players) Q A Q
SB bets 11.8 BB, Hero raises to 41.2 BB

Nice stats you brought for us, thank you. When we are going to check-raise the flop, specially for bluff we look for two basic things: a high percentage of c-bet flop plus a high percentage to fold to c-bet flop. At higher stakes such as 50 NLHE for example we are going to start to use the stat fold to raise flop/fold to check-raise flop/fold to raise-donk, etc.
For the number you provided us, 22% c-bet flop is not a great number to be check-raising for bluff, since it seems that Villain is going more for value than for bluff OTF.
Plus, we have no idea how much SB 3-bets preflop, which is also a good stat for decision making.
Giving this flop configuration I would be folding my gutters and the vast majority of my range. The chances of only being paid and raised for AQ is gigantic, and we could be nearly drawing dead on most of scenarios.
In the case the flop doesn't double pair and we got at least a gutter plus a BDF, we could be check-raising for bluff, if it is the case of Villain to over c-bet the flop and over fold to c-bet flop.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, 22% is his 3 bet, he has a 70% Cbet

But point taken. I'll look at adding those stats, or at least looking at them.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me know! I'm trying to bring some more aggression into my game, getting hurt bad out there!

I love that idea, but I think, this is a bad spot for it. First of all this is the wrong kind of opponent to bluff. He is one of those crazy LAGs, you find at 6-max, which is almost bordering on a maniac. This player type is kind of recreational, and they typically are not very interested in folding. They want to be the table captain and show everyone, who is boss. You get the idea.

Second you are in position in a 3-bet pot, and the board is very static, so would you ever raise the flop for value? And I think, the answer is no. If you flopped trips or a boat, you would feel so golden here, and the game plan would 100% be to just call and allow this LAG/maniac guy to continue hanging himself on the turn. Being in position mean, you can always take over the betting, if he check, so you can still get stacks inside.

This mean, your line here is very unbalanced. And while he might not be a great player, it is possible, that he will figure that out and fight back at you. He is after all quite a bit of a play machine. So I think, I much prefer the float play here, because it is a better way to represent a strong hand given the whole situation. If the turn is a brick, and he fire a big bet, then just give up. The way to beat a LAG / maniac is to let him win a lot of small non showdown pots, while you win most of the big ones at showdown.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, for me hand like KTo in 3betting pot is a little too weak to play and I prefer fold pre flop. Opponent seems to be loose player. It is true that after flop we will be in position, but with hand KTo you can some problem with not good kicker when you hit the king on the flop. As played - It isn't good situation to raising flop. Opponent play even big bet, for about 2/3 of the pot. Usually this bet means that he can hit something on the flop. Weak aces like a2s-A5s is in his range. For me better play only call on the flop and better to see what opponent will do on the turn. If opponent will not continue aggression on the turn, it is better situation to bluff on the turn, because check on the turn from the opponent can mean that he is afraid something. GL :)

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, 22% is his 3 bet, he has a 70% Cbet

But point taken. I'll look at adding those stats, or at least looking at them.

KTo is a hand better placed in your 4Bet range as it doesn't play as well in 3Bet pots compared to other hands, say KJs, or even KQo. If it was suited I don't mind the call as much.

As played I don't like the raise here. It may have worked in this instance but if villain had Ax and half a brain, he would realise that actually, if you had Qx - like you are trying to say you have - then you wouldn't be raising it and folding out his weaker AJ/AK hands, instead you would slowplay and hope he ends up pot committed on the turn or river.