$5 NLHE 6-max: Folding AA vs re-raise and TP vs overbet

G

Genisys

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pacific, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $8.52 (170.4 bb)
Hero (BB): $8.42 (168.4 bb)
UTG: $0.85 (17 bb)
MP: $5.91 (118.2 bb)
CO: $9.43 (188.6 bb)
BTN: $9.60 (192 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with As Ac
UTG raises to $0.10, MP folds, CO calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, UTG folds, CO calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.02) 8c Qh 7s (2 players)
Hero bets $0.81, CO raises to $1.62, Hero calls $0.81

Turn: ($4.26) Td (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $2.20, Hero folds

Results: $4.26 pot ($0.25 rake)
Final Board: 8c Qh 7s Td
Hero mucked As Ac and lost (-$2.07 net)
CO mucked and won $4.01 ($1.94 net)

Not a fan of how I played this really. I think I should've raised larger pre-flop. However as played I think folding was the best option here? I think they have a set too many times not to fold.

Pacific, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $8.87 (177.4 bb)
Hero (BB): $10.84 (216.8 bb)
UTG: $3.21 (64.2 bb)
MP: $5.78 (115.6 bb)
CO: $5.18 (103.6 bb)
BTN: $11.13 (222.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Js Ah
3 folds, BTN raises to $0.14, SB folds, Hero calls $0.09

Flop: ($0.30) Tc Ac 2d (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.60) 8h (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $1, Hero..?

I really don't like his overbet here, so I wasn't too sure what to do. I think he could be bluffing after I called on the flop, or could have 2pair/set and be trying to get my to call him off with my Ax.

GotaLovePoke

GotaLovePoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't mind your pre-flop. You get a villain to call with a weaker hand. I think your problem here is that you showed weakness on the flop, and by consequence you need to fold the turn. Played as is, turn is a fold, unfortunately for our aces.

Think about it this way. Lets make it 4$ re-raise. What hands does villain have? Pocket 7, Pocket deuce, AQ, suited connector, pocket king. By re-raising we are getting a fold on most of these hands. We are either getting a re-raise or a call by a Set. And we are getting a call by kings or AQ. Villain is in position, he will check behind any hand but a set there, so you can check turn, he checks back, then we get to call a value bet on the river.

I can see 4 mistakes in your second hand.

You did not re-raise pre-flop when your hand was obviously a monster compared to BTN bet.

You need to dunk bet on that flop considering the flush board and BTN has position.

You need to re-raise BTN on Continuation bet considering that he is putting you more than often on a weak hand, and check raise almost always gets a call from him there. And then he'll run down for value unless he has a monster.

If you don't dunk bet flop, and you check for pot control, you definately donk bet on the turn.

As it was played, easy called on the turn, check river call any value bet, even if a club comes out.

G

Genisys

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't mind your pre-flop. You get a villain to call with a weaker hand. I think your problem here is that you showed weakness on the flop, and by consequence you need to fold the turn. Played as is, turn is a fold, unfortunately for our aces.

Think about it this way. Lets make it 4$ re-raise. What hands does villain have? Pocket 7, Pocket deuce, AQ, suited connector, pocket king. By re-raising we are getting a fold on most of these hands. We are either getting a re-raise or a call by a Set. And we are getting a call by kings or AQ. Villain is in position, he will check behind any hand but a set there, so you can check turn, he checks back, then we get to call a value bet on the river.

I can see 4 mistakes in your second hand.

You did not re-raise pre-flop when your hand was obviously a monster compared to BTN bet.

You need to dunk bet on that flop considering the flush board and BTN has position.

You need to re-raise BTN on Continuation bet considering that he is putting you more than often on a weak hand, and check raise almost always gets a call from him there. And then he'll run down for value unless he has a monster.

If you don't dunk bet flop, and you check for pot control, you definately donk bet on the turn.

As it was played, easy called on the turn, check river call any value bet, even if a club comes out.

First of all thanks for your really detailed post, I'm trying to learn as much as possible so people like you are awesome!

Hand 1: I agree with you here, just calling his re-raise shows weakness on my part. I also need to start thinking ahead in hands more such as what doing x action will likely make happen on future streets.

Hand 2: I'm personally not a fan of 3-betting AJo pre since you're likely only getting called by better a lot of the time. If they call with AQ/AK it leaves very awkward situations on any Axx flops since I'm always out kickered.

But I do agree with you that I should've donked or at least re-raised his cbet - I should probably be more aggressive with my holdings.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand #1 is terrible spew, hand #2 looks like a standard fold if villain has tight/solid stats.

Folding in Poker