$5 NLHE 6-max: flopped straight villain 5x's river paired board

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 430 BB (VPIP: 31.25, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 17)
Hero (SB): 224.4 BB
BB: 113.2 BB (VPIP: 45.45, PFR: 45.45, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 13)
UTG: 108.4 BB (VPIP: 8.33, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
MP: 183.2 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.00, PFR: 15.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 40)

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Th Kc
fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.4 BB, Hero calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.4 BB

Flop : (7.2 BB, 3 players) Qs Jh Ac
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets 1.8 BB, Hero calls 1.8 BB, fold

Turn : (10.8 BB, 2 players) 3d
Hero checks, BTN bets 16.2 BB, Hero calls 16.2 BB

River : (43.2 BB, 2 players) 3s
Hero checks, BTN bets 409.6 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 204 BB and is all-in

please tell me if I can improve this post in any way this is my first post for a Hand history

1.what range would you put this person on having only a small amount of hands on him I wasn't sure if I can I can include two pair if I was to include it my range would look like this JJ+, AQs-AJs, AQo-AJo is this too nitty of a range or too loose I think its too loose considering he 5x the pot!
2. whats the minimum you would continue with in this situation
3. should I raise turn ( as there and not many bluffs in his range at this point)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't slow play straights & flushes. Any K, T, A, Q, or J on the turn kills your hand or your action. Either bet/3bet the flop, or raise. Check/calling the flop is setting money on fire. ESPECIALLY don't slow play when you're 200 deep and you'd like to get it in with the nuts.

Turn & river decisions are irrelevant because you should literally never play the flop as you did.

And given villain's over shove on the river, you should probably fold preflop as well.

Last edited:
guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first mistake was calling with KTo from SB. Then, checking the flop OOP with the flopped nuts in attempt to slowplay rainbow board. Even though there's no flush draw on flop, you should not slowplay here. The free card you are giving can come back to haunt you and kill your action.

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first mistake was calling with KTo from SB. Then, checking the flop OOP with the flopped nuts in attempt to slowplay rainbow board. Even though there's no flush draw on flop, you should not slowplay here. The free card you are giving can come back to haunt you and kill your action.

what are you saying we should do with KTo here?
I agree there are any cards that kill our action but I don't really like donking here as it is just a button open he could still bet with a lot of hands I do however think I should of raised turn big as I don't think he is over-betting as a bluff here
Looking back on it I don't think I played turn poorly KTo is fine to just call pre I think

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When making big river decisions I ask myself a few questions.
1. What do I beat?
2. Is my opponent capable of turning a made hand into a bluff at the end?
3. Does my opponent think I will fold?
4. Is my opponent an idiot?

What do you beat? Nothing but a bluff
Is your opponent capable? Can he be turning QJ into a bluff here when he gets counterfeit at the end?
Does it look like you are going to fold? You called an overbet on the turn, I think you hand looks very strong.
Is he an idiot? Your judgement call.

I think this pretty much adds up to a fold.

However, if he was a skilled balanced player, this is a snap call. [I DOUBT IT.] This is probably the single best hand you ever arrive at on the river this way. There are bluffs a good player can have here, like QJ, A10, type hands, that get counterfeit ,block the straight, or try to leverage a range advantage. All things that I do not give people credit for at the microstakes.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 430 BB (VPIP: 31.25, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
Hero (SB): 224.4 BB
BB: 113.2 BB (VPIP: 45.45, PFR: 45.45, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 13)
UTG: 108.4 BB (VPIP: 8.33, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
MP: 183.2 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.00, PFR: 15.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 40)

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Th Kc
fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.4 BB, Hero calls 2 BB, BB calls 1.4 BB

Flop : (7.2 BB, 3 players) Qs Jh Ac
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets 1.8 BB, Hero calls 1.8 BB, fold

Turn : (10.8 BB, 2 players) 3d
Hero checks, BTN bets 16.2 BB, Hero calls 16.2 BB

River : (43.2 BB, 2 players) 3s
Hero checks, BTN bets 409.6 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 204 BB and is all-in

please tell me if I can improve this post in any way this is my first post for a Hand history

1.what range would you put this person on having only a small amount of hands on him I wasn't sure if I can I can include two pair if I was to include it my range would look like this JJ+, AQs-AJs, AQo-AJo is this too nitty of a range or too loose I think its too loose considering he 5x the pot!
2. whats the minimum you would continue with in this situation
3. should I raise turn ( as there and not many bluffs in his range at this point)

Personally, I do not think it's wrong to check the flop considering the raise of the BTN I think I would have done the same, maybe in what would differentiate me from how this hand was played is that on the turn I would have made a check/raise maybe I would have gained less but it was what I probably would have done, I think the hand was played well when I get a straigth on the flop and I particularly like to play it slow if then my opponent completes it with a T or a K (in this case) I consider it bad luck but until that happens I have the pot and I will try to get as much money as possible with that hand

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind the check on the flop, but think you have to check raise right there, then barrel the turn. The sizing is so small, and you want to find a way to get it in with the nuts when you are ahead. After check/calling flop, yes, I think check raising the turn is best, and I would have made a pot sized raise.

As played, the river is a fold for me. I think villain flopped a set based on bet sizing and not many players at these stakes can fire that bluff on that river. Villain hasn't over valued his 2 pair on the flop or turn, why would they on river? That said, I think you should've been all in on the turn. If you're going to slow play this hand (and you shouldn't imo), you have to be able to lay it down when you think you're beat since you'll never get enough value for this hand when you're ahead.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop, don't defend offsuit broadways from the SB, you're OOP post-flop, plus the BB can squeeze, third offsuit hands play bad multiplay.

Since you called pre, check-raise the flop, he's betting super small, you have the nuts, so you want to get the stacks in by the river.

Since again, you just called... Check-raise the turn, reason same as above...

As played, the river is a fold with over 200bb+ deep... Sorry to say this, but for me, this hand was misplayed on every street.

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone

I pretty much agree with what everyone said definitely for the turn and river I know it’s hard to say because I can’t prove it but I would never play the nuts like that on the turn. recently been playing 5 nl and not been winning and it’s put my game off completely but from now on I will never play the nuts like that at any level no matter what
And in my gut I really think I should of folded river because i agree now that he would not be doing that with Two pair and even more likely to have a boat with the paired board just for future reference what do you think this player would have shoved if the river was anything that doesn’t pair the board like a 7? And what’s the minimum we call with if we don’t have a straight like middle Set ?

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don’t agree with not calling preflop

Preflop, don't defend offsuit broadways from the SB, you're OOP post-flop, plus the BB can squeeze, third offsuit hands play bad multiplay.

Since you called pre, check-raise the flop, he's betting super small, you have the nuts, so you want to get the stacks in by the river.

Since again, you just called... Check-raise the turn, reason same as above...

As played, the river is a fold with over 200bb+ deep... Sorry to say this, but for me, this hand was misplayed on every street.
I don’t think KT is a 3bet or fold in this situation I do agree it’s rifht on the edge like KJo AJ 3 bet but I think calling with KTo is fine