$5 NLHE 6-max: Facing a Donk Bet on a Dangerous Board w/ a Set( End of Spot)!

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 223 BB (VPIP: 31.82, PFR: 25.76, 3Bet Preflop: 17.86, Hands: 69)
BB: 109.5 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 48.5 BB
CO: 110 BB

Hero (BTN): 108 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8 8

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, SB raises to 6 BB, fold, Hero calls 4 BB

Q1: Do you agree with this Call??
His 3Bet is too small, I think call here is better than fold.

Flop: (13 BB, 2 players) 9 8 6
SB checks, Hero bets 9.5 BB, SB calls 9.5 BB

Turn: (32 BB, 2 players) T
SB checks, Hero bets 15.5 BB, SB calls 15.5 BB

Q2: Do you think my bet sizes on the Flop and Turn are good?

River: (63 BB, 2 players) A
SB bets 57 BB, Hero ???

This Donk bet is tought for me. I don't know if he wants to extract value with a made flush, thinking that I can check back with a hand like TPTK or 2Pairs. Or maybe he has air, trying to represent the flush or the Ace.
Q3: What would you do here? What range do you think he has in this situation?

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably 4-bet preflop here to 18-20BB. Villain is a little loose and has a pretty high 3-bet number.

As played, I like the flop sizing, but I would check back the turn. That 10 is a bad card, and I would control the pot now, looking to call a river bet or raise if the board pairs.

I think you have to call the river as played. Your set still has a lot of equity.

Intako

Intako

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably 4-bet preflop here to 18-20BB. Villain is a little loose and has a pretty high 3-bet number.

As played, I like the flop sizing, but I would check back the turn. That 10 is a bad card, and I would control the pot now, looking to call a river bet or raise if the board pairs.

I think you have to call the river as played. Your set still has a lot of equity.

- Nice advice! Exemplary..:D

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
69 hands is a nothing sample for 3bet so calling 88 ip is the best option for me. Any un-made hand check calling the turn is a draw which just completed so we could check back the turn here as over pairs usually bet the flop . And the river is tough but i think i find a fold vs this line villain doesnt have AK AQ or KK QQ now so it's hard to see what you beat. Maybe an occasional Ax with the ace of spades looking for a hero bluff but it's wasnt the board for them to float on.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3x raise pre. your flop bet size is good. but you could check the turn. probably opponent has a flush. i hope you folded river.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot control

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 223 BB (VPIP: 31.82, PFR: 25.76, 3Bet Preflop: 17.86, Hands: 69)
BB: 109.5 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 48.5 BB
CO: 110 BB

Hero (BTN): 108 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8 8

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, SB raises to 6 BB, fold, Hero calls 4 BB

Q1: Do you agree with this Call??
His 3Bet is too small, I think call here is better than fold.

Flop: (13 BB, 2 players) 9 8 6
SB checks, Hero bets 9.5 BB, SB calls 9.5 BB

Turn: (32 BB, 2 players) T
SB checks, Hero bets 15.5 BB, SB calls 15.5 BB

Q2: Do you think my bet sizes on the Flop and Turn are good?

River: (63 BB, 2 players) A
SB bets 57 BB, Hero ???

This Donk bet is tought for me. I don't know if he wants to extract value with a made flush, thinking that I can check back with a hand like TPTK or 2Pairs. Or maybe he has air, trying to represent the flush or the Ace.
Q3: What would you do here? What range do you think he has in this situation?

Thank you for posting.

Let us focus on the turn play. Why do we pot control?
When boards get this ugly we switch from building pots to winning pots. We do not want to get all-in anymore. We just want to get some value on the river or hit a full house and trap a flush for stacks.

Our opponent will check all hands on this turn. If we bet we can expect calls from the best and folds from the worst. Also as we build the pot, our opponent can now pressure us with pot sized river bet bluffs and they can value bet AsX unkowingly bluffing us as well.

Notice the pot size if we check turn, a pot size bet by villain on river is only 30bb ish a much easier call to make if villain has bluffs.

Being able to see how villain plays in this spot is much more important than trying to guess what villains range might be later on.

Hope this helps

:):)

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you check the turn, you likely have a much easier river decision. As played I would fold, all the draws got there and you had shown so much strength. What hands is he trying to get to fold with a bluff? A single pair?