$5 NLHE 6-max: Facing a Shove with QQ underpair on a 4Beted Pot!

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 64.8 BB
Hero (CO): 103 BB
BTN: 106 BB (VPIP: 27.08, PFR: 20.83, 3Bet Preflop: 5.56, Hands: 55)
SB: 94.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.6 BB, BTN raises to 9.2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 32 BB, BTN calls 22.8 BB

Q1: Do you disagree about this Preflop 4Bet??
I made this 4bet here 'cause I don't have any reliable reads about his Postflop tendencies. Playing this hand postflop without initiative is too though for me.
Q2: What range do you think he make this call??

Flop: (65.4 BB, 2 players) 7 9 A
Hero checks, BTN bets 74 BB and is all-in, Hero???

Q3: Would you make a Cbet here?
I didn't made this 'cause I think there is no value to extract in this hand.
Q4: What range do you think he is jamming here?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think your 4bet is fine. Reggy villain calls and I don't see him doing this with anything less than AK, KK+. You're beat on the flop unless you can somehow foretell a set, you are dead in the water. Your Cbet would either get jammed or called and you would lose more money.

There's the off chance he has your exact same hand.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$5 NLHE 6-max: Facing a Shove with QQ underpair on a 4Beted Pot!

1. The 4B is good COvsBTN but to big. This is fine as an exploit vs stationary players, creating as lower as possible spr pot with a power hand. But vs a reg it’s not as good.

2 I don’t think the general population protect a calling range here, so his range is somewhat capped. Whether he flats or shoves AK (I’d shove because my blockers with AK weight you towards lower pp) is player dependent.

3 The flop SPR is 1. This means we have to push our range and nut advantage. Vs a reg this is a CB, .33p.

4. Ax and bluffs. Probably over balanced to Ax.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop goes both ways, I usually dont 4bet QQ (but I used to) because people are nitty and I dont want to be isolated against KK and AA.

Flop is a fold as you dont beat anything and his calling range significantly improves on an A-high board

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. The 4B is good COvsBTN but to big. This is fine as an exploit vs stationary players, creating as lower as possible spr pot with a power hand. But vs a reg it’s not as good.

2 I don’t think the general population protect a calling range here, so his range is somewhat capped. Whether he flats or shoves AK (I’d shove because my blockers with AK weight you towards lower pp) is player dependent.

3 The flop SPR is 1. This means we have to push our range and nut advantage. Vs a reg this is a CB, .33p.

4. Ax and bluffs. Probably over balanced to Ax.

Aboslutely suicidal advice, its 5NL, talking about balance is absolutely out of line, you are never going to be good calling here. Its a huge -EV to call here. Balance is absolutely irrelevant to 5NL.
Also we clearly dont have to push as this exact board, out of all other possibilities is the single worst board to push.

dunkyhory

dunkyhory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently playing 5nl and the games are quite aggro.You tend to have a decent chunk of fold equity vs a 4bet so getting in QQ and AK isn't terrible for 100bb in certain spots.A recent trend is to flat 4bets with JJ QQ AK AQs and perhaps a little wider with 88-TT TJs T9s. That sort of range anyway.Id stab the flop for 1/3p i don't really like checking the flop as were basically just giving up.

Last edited:
G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never said call.

And balance might not be needed, I never mentioned balancing either, just an awareness of board and range. The spr is a flat 1, this regardless of balance has a huge impact on how we should play this board. A b/f line is fine. X/f and letting 88 or JTs push us of our equity is horrible, equity realisation is a big factor, we lose very little long term ev here with a 1/3psb vs a mixed strat anyway.

We can’t say villain only has AK, AQ here read-less.

J

JackleOfCrackle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB
UTG: 100 BB
MP: 64.8 BB
Hero (CO): 103 BB
BTN: 106 BB (VPIP: 27.08, PFR: 20.83, 3Bet Preflop: 5.56, Hands: 55)
SB: 94.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q Q

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.6 BB, BTN raises to 9.2 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 32 BB, BTN calls 22.8 BB

Q1: Do you disagree about this Preflop 4Bet??
I made this 4bet here 'cause I don't have any reliable reads about his Postflop tendencies. Playing this hand postflop without initiative is too though for me.
Q2: What range do you think he make this call??

Flop: (65.4 BB, 2 players) 7 9 A
Hero checks, BTN bets 74 BB and is all-in, Hero???

Q3: Would you make a Cbet here?
I didn't made this 'cause I think there is no value to extract in this hand.
Q4: What range do you think he is jamming here?

4 bet pre is fine but we have to make a cbet on the flop IMO. Check looks super weak and he can jam 99 TT JJ here bluffing us off better hands. He is really struggling to make a play in this spot with these hands if we C bet the flop. If he jams over the top of a c bet we can fold pretty easy as we really do not beat anything in that range..

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you check after 4 -betting it is extremely face up your cards obvious what you hold. It is clearly a "big" pocket pair less than aces. To me it is a clear fold. That balance shit only works on $5/10 and higher in my experience.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 4 Bet preflop is big would make it just under 30 leaving you a bit more room post flop.

On this flop could make a cBet but as you don't have enough betting room you almost limited to all-in or betting very small like 1/4 pot. Would cBet 1/4 pot in this particular spot looking as if you are trying to get the money slowly in setting up for an allin on the turn. If he calls would let it go unless a Q comes off. Most likely he has an A and it will probably be impossible to get him off any Ax hand.

As played on the flop would fold.