$5 NLHE 6-max: defending in 3bet pot - TT on paired board

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q: Turn decision?

Awkward or awkwardly played hand, villain nothing out of ordinary, but he betted really fast so I gave his range to be air heavy

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 118.4 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 40.00, 3Bet Preflop: 50.00, hands: 5)
SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.91, PFR: 13.64, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 90)
BB: 122.4 BB (VPIP: 6.67, PFR: 6.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
UTG: 104 BB (VPIP: 32.35, PFR: 29.41, 3Bet Preflop: 18.52, Hands: 69)
Hero (MP): 100 BB
CO: 125.4 BB (VPIP: 16.92, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 8.70, Hands: 68)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T T

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, SB raises to 11 BB, fold, Hero calls 8 BB

Flop: (23 BB, 2 players) J 6 2
SB bets 14 BB, Hero calls 14 BB

Turn: (51 BB, 2 players) J
SB bets 29 BB, Hero raises to 75 BB and is all-in

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre is fine.

Spade draw on the flop, otherwise fairly dry. The Jack is not good, though. AJ fits his range, he could definatley 3-bet that, as well as KJs. You are drawing almost dead to JJ, but its hard to put him on a set yet.

Turn is interesting, it actually helps us a lot in some ways. We can now eliminate more AJ and KJ combos from his range. He bets a little bit more than half pot, which means he either has AsKs or AsQs, AsJx or JJ. (Imo, at least. He could have something wierd every now and then but these are most likely.) We are probably way behind here. AKo is probably not going to barrel again, most of his betting range clobbers us.

I don't like a jam at all. What calls you here? Only Jxx and maybe a flush draw with 2 overs if you are lucky. AsKs still has 35% equity, any ace, king, or spade beats you. I don't like this spot at all and am fine with a fold.

I would consider this a bluff jam representing a jack to fold out AA, KK, QQ, and Axs.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like a jam at all. What calls you here? Only Jxx and maybe a flush draw with 2 overs if you are lucky. AsKs still has 35% equity, any ace, king, or spade beats you. I don't like this spot at all and am fine with a fold.
I would consider this a bluff jam representing a jack to fold out AA, KK, QQ, and Axs.
The jam was with the idea that if hero calls we are pot committed (we have 46 behind and pots is 109), so it’s just better to shove. But like you mention I was wondering what he will do with overpairs :D

So your reasoning to fold is that a) board is too dry him to try anything fancy most of the time thus is range is solid vs hero b) his sizing says value bet. These seem reasonable assertions. However, this is going to be difficult fold, even when more information is poured to hero's head.

Last edited:
TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True, stack sizes do make it a Jam/fold spot. (This is why i like playing with at least 300 BB)
You have some fold equity against AA, KK, QQ. (depending on the player you might have a ton, or absoulutley none. At low stakes some people simply aren't capable of folding aces or kings.) I feel like overpairs probably check this turn to you and hop to see you check back and then bomb the river, like was mentioned in the hand i posted about Aces on a paired board.

It is a nasty spot for sure, but i really do think that it is hard for him to bet this turn without a J when you called flop. I think i make what some people might call a nitty fold and top off, but i could be completely wrong. I want to hear what Misaki says as well but as the hand is played i think i can make a fold.

If he had checked it to you what was your plan? I would love to see a bet then because we have so much fold equity.
Does he call you? I would imagine so as he is getting such a good price.

Last edited:
B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he had checked it to you what was your plan?Honestly, I had no plan, for some reason this hand feels alien to my brains. But people often get carried away on paired boards at my stakes. Also 3barreling with air is mostly not done, and so I think we actually can call turn and fold river and we are not pot committed and shoving was even more stupid so fold > call > shove

The mentality of us 5NL zoom players is quite well demonstrated in this hand, I rather shove than fold a made hand =)

It is a nasty spot for sure, but i really do think that it is hard for him to bet this turn without a J when you called flop.I think this is spot on especially because stats say villain is quite normal. That said if villain mostly checks pairs, his barreling range is polarized to weak+strong and still includes some funny hands.