$5 NLHE 6-max: Busted my AA with a sorry flush draw

R

Redmane

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, this is my first post here. Here’s my question. I was playing Zone poker NL5 for about one hour and had grinded up to $12. I was dealt AA in the big blind, and everyone folded to the SB who had $8.50. He raised to 15 cents, I 3bet to 45 cents and he called. The flop came Kc5c4h. He checked, I C bet about 60 cents, he raised, I reraised, and he went all in. I decided to call. He had 8c5c for a freaking flush draw! A club came on the river and he busted my AA. My question is if you all think I made the correct decision to call his all in move for what really amounted to slightly more than one and a half buy ins.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's impossible for him to had 8c5c :p.
But ok I know what you mean.
I guess if he's a bad player that he's doing crazy moves all the time or a LAG that plays very aggressively I call here too.
The main thing that I afraid of is the case he hit a set. If I respect the opponent and I know that he 's a great player I fold here because it's almost a 0% chance to not have the set.
Against a random the hands that we win here are way more than the ones that we lose from.
Our opponent's range, taking in account his preflop and postflop action, includes AK, the sets and any meaningful flush draw.
Call.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general its a little iffy to get an overpair all in postflop in a 3-bet pot for 150BB. But blind vs. blind ranges are wider, and there are still only 6 combos of sets, that have you in really bad shape. KK would typically 4-bet, and even against a hand like 54s you are not that far behind. So I am certainly not folding AA on the flop, but I would just have called his raise and then made some decisions later. If he is overplaying a hand like KQ, we dont want him to realise his mistake and get away. Depending, what then happen on the turn, maybe we can get away on the river, when the flush draw complete, or we can get to showdown without losing our whole stack.

F

fast_frog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like re-raising there, just call down and fold if the flush makes it. You are pretty deep, not going to be in good shape usually getting the money in.

If he had a pair+draw like 8c4c (impossible to have the 5 as it's on the flop) then you're flipping, but generally you'll be losing against his getting in range, unless he's a fish or overplaying TP - quite possible, but you are deep; if you had just 100 blinds it would be a much easier decision

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your play was fine blind vs blind. You got very unlucky.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pot control and the use of position

Hi, this is my first post here. Here’s my question. I was playing Zone poker NL5 for about one hour and had grinded up to $12. I was dealt AA in the big blind, and everyone folded to the SB who had $8.50. He raised to 15 cents, I 3bet to 45 cents and he called. The flop came Kc5c4h. He checked, I C bet about 60 cents, he raised, I reraised, and he went all in. I decided to call. He had 8c5c for a freaking flush draw! A club came on the river and he busted my AA. My question is if you all think I made the correct decision to call his all in move for what really amounted to slightly more than one and a half buy ins.

Hello there Redmane, welcome to the CardsChat community and thank you very much for sharing your hand with us!
So, first of all:

Hero in the BB had 240 BB Effective Stack
Villain in the SB had 170 BB Effective Stack

Pot control and the use of position on our advantage:

Here is a very common situation where, I believe, almost 100% of the 5 NLHE field is making a 3-bet preflop without any other concern.
The fact is that the SB is a stealing position. Most of times players will be opening very weak hands from the SB to try to steal the blinds from the Big Blind.
Of course, we love to 3-bet the top of our range JJ+, ATs+, BB vs SB, however, there are some situations where the call will work a little better than the 3-bet: when we are facing a recreational player.
Recreational players don't think about position, ranges, range advantage, deep stacked pot, pot odds, implied odds, none of this occur to their minds. They just want to "play" in the sense of kidding.
By increasing our calling frequency, in situations where we are heads-up, Big Blind versus Small Blind, with the top of our range will be a much better business.
Let's suppose you have ATs and a fish from the SB opens to 3 blinds. If you 3-bet there is the risk of the fishing leaving its trashes preflop. When you call the fish will never give you a strong hand. (Sweet).
So, you decided to call with ATs and the flop comes 5cAs9s, and the SB c-bets for 100% pot! You call, because your hand still has a lot of equity. The turn comes a brick and the SB sends 1/2 pot now. You call and in the river the SB checks. Complete a flush and a straight you're blocking part of this range, however if you bet here SB can continue to represent its original range that did bet flop and turn and re-raise or shove you putting you in a strange position.
You check and the SB shows it had A7o, and you get a pretty sizeable pot!

The Same goes for when you have AA, KK, QQ and AKs, AQs: increase your calling frequency. When it comes a flop with a flush draw and you have AA you can either call or raise, both are correct versus a recreative player.
If you control the pot good you can avoid and scape very easily of situations like this where you know for sure that the fish hit the flush in the river.
This hand could be played in several manners, let's picture a different one:

SB raises with all of its nonsense range and both players are deep stacked, so you decided to just flat AA from the BB.
The flop comes Kc5c4h:

A) If SB checks: you bet for value and protection because of the flush-draw. IF SB raises, you can safely call in position here and reassess your equity turn/river.

B) IF SB bets 1/3 pot: You can call or you can raise depending how you think SB would react to your bet.

C) If SB bets 1/2 pot or more: we are calling more here because the pot is already too big, yes TOO BIG, and we don't want to make things go out of proportion here. Of course we could be raising too but I guess that when the SB bets more, it is polarizing its range so we must have an effective strategy for the times SB had more values than bluffs and for the times that SB had more bluffs than values.

In the turn it is very hard for the SB to continue bluffing its flush draws and if it bets, you can call again with your value hand or you can raise.
When BB calls you and re-raises you it is representing KK, 55, 44, AK, KQ, K5s, K4s, QQ, JJ, TT, the flush draws of clubs and the straight draws. 76 and A2 for example could be doing the same here, raising the flop or turn for bluff/value having a very balanced range postflop.

However, we can see how unbalanced and nonsense the SB is: it cold called 3-bet out of position with 85s!!! It does re-raised a player out of position, deep stacked and went all-in later with a flush draw having 8 high! I don't need to say anything more about the SB, weak-sick player.
You played fine, however we must foresee the moves and actions of our opponents, antecipate them so we can extract the maximum value or lose the minimum value.

In the river, when completes a flush we can be checking and calling, depending how large the SB put and how much odds do we have range versus range (BB versus SB).
IF SB goes all-in or put up a ludicrous huge sizing bet in the river, when it completes a flush, a straight or double paired and you have no blockers, it is an easy fold for KK, AA and AKs.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
Full Flush Poker