$5 NLHE 6-max: Bluff raising the flop and barreling the turn on low board

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5NL 6-max zoom on pokerstars. Villain is unknown.

Hero (BTN) has $22.96
Villain (SB) has $18.52

Hero is dealt Js Ts
Villain (SB) posts $0.02
BB posts $0.05
3 folds
Hero (BTN) raises to $0.12
Villain re-raises to $0.41
BB folds
Hero calls $0.29

$0.83 in pot (2 players)
Flop shows 6d 5h 4c

Villain bets $0.58
Hero raises to $1.70
Villain calls $1.12

$4.09 in pot (2 players)
Turn shows 2s

Villain checks
Hero bets $3.40
Villain folds

What do you think of the way I played this hand? I figured the villain probably had a hand like A high or K high, and even if he did have an overpair like 88-AA, I felt I could get him off it by representing a strong made hand like 2 pairs, a set or a straight.

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think the play is alright since you're both deep-stacked, and he's probably competent enough to fold overpairs against your barreling off. He's capped to overpairs, and you are totally uncapped. Against a regular stack though, I think folding without any BDFD/BDSD and unclean overcards is much better. I don't expect people to fold overpairs, especially AA/KK, either in 3-bet pots 100-120bb deep.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you're getting him off AA/KK here (and maybe not even QQ), but your play will get him to fold all overcards, and even several smaller overpairs (88-JJ).

Nh!

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't know people folded OP's at 5nl. Well played, since Villain Is unknown, I mean AA/KK/QQ all aren't going anywhere (I mean I'm not going anywhere with them), but that's Just me. Yet others are others (So It may be possible). Still your hand Is wide enough to rep a ton on that flop, sets/2pairs all of these hands are capable of calling preflop In position, because you 2 were super deep. That said, by the looks of It, when you re-pop, Villains donk lead on flop, you're repping a super strong hand, and Villain really can't continue, knowing that A) You weren't stopping on turn, and he/she can only continue with a nutted hand and/or a bluff catching hand such as AA/KK/QQ, because they wouldn't really want to GII post-flop on such a flop facing such aggression. So I personally liked how you thought about It and decided that you were gonna rep a stronger hand than you really had and put this player to the 3 street test, because I assume, had Villain called turn, you weren't shutting down on river (Assuming river was another brick card), and not an A/K/Q at all?

Well played

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, this interests me. What do you do if he calls the turn?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting unknowns to fold over pairs at 5nl is a terrible plan for the hand. This just looks spewy to me.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't know people folded OP's at 5nl.

Getting unknowns to fold over pairs at 5nl is a terrible plan for the hand. This just looks spewy to me.

Don't underestimate the difficulty of 6-max zoom on PokerStars.

If it was 5NL full-ring normal tables on 888poker or Bovada, then yeah, I'd agree with you that the villains will probably never fold overpairs. But at 5NL 6-max zoom on PokerStars, players are surprisingly good and they do indeed know how to fold overpairs when facing sufficient pressure.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't underestimate the difficulty of 6-max zoom on PokerStars.

If it was 5NL full-ring normal tables on 888poker or Bovada, then yeah, I'd agree with you that the villains will probably never fold overpairs. But at 5NL 6-max zoom on PokerStars, players are surprisingly good and they do indeed know how to fold overpairs when facing sufficient pressure.
If this is true, then quit poker.

Trabendo_daze

Trabendo_daze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty perplexed dude and I'm totally with c9 here. Raising on this board with quite possibly 0% equity when an unknown strongly represents an overpair is reallllllly ambitious.

Such a non-standard play would require pretty in-depth reads and some history between you and Villain (to be able to actually rep something strong on this board). Many villains will stack off correctly with an overpair on this board once raised.

Also, what do you mean "know how to fold overpairs when facing sufficient pressure"? I don't mean to be a jerk, but this strongly implies an "if, then" mindset that we shouldn't have in poker. ex: If I have an overpair and villain raises and bets, I fold.

Idk how to explain my confusion with all of this really.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a BB vs BTN war. Villains know how to resteal at this level and they do it quite frequently with weak hands.

Also, the villain is pretty much Cbetting ATC on this board. Even when he calls my raise, he could easily have a hand like 76s, 97s, 75s, A4-A7, K4s-K7s, etc. It's not like his range consists solely of overpairs. And even his overpairs like 77-JJ and possibly even QQ-AA will seriously consider folding to this turn bet, given that any 3 makes a straight and I can easily represent sets, 2 pair combos and made straights.

If this is true, then quit poker.

That's what quitters do. They realise that online poker (especially sites like PokerStars) is becoming tough nowadays and they say "I give up. Everyone's too solid nowadays". But I'm not one of those people. I embrace the challenge. I want to be better than the rest. I want to be one step ahead of them. I want to find subtle weaknesses in even the most solid of players. And in this hand example, I think I did that pretty successfully.