$5 NLHE 6-max: Bad beat or bad play?

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still a newbie but was really annoyed with the outcome of this hand, any help and tips on how i could of played this hand differently is much appreciated.

Villan CO : KJ off, raised 2.5BB
Hero BB : JJ 3bets 5Bb

Villan calls

Flop : KK9

HERO Continues bets 5BB
Villan 3 bets to 13BB

This was where I seriously considered folding as I put villan on a King. Netherless I called to see the turn.

Turn is a Jack, we both check

River is a 7, and I put a heavy bet in. Villan shoves. I put villan on K,10 and make the call.

To my disgust Villan turns over king Jack.

Should i have folded after the flop?
Thanks

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It becomes a substantial gamble once you hit the boat on the turn. You're still ahead against much of CO's range and just hoping he doesn't have a better boat.

To answer your question, you need to provide information about your and the villain's effective stack sizes.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 3bet bigger preflop, aside from that, i would check-call the flop. He can have a lot
Of kings here but too nitty to fold this quickly. Probably check raise turn. There isn't really a way for you to not lose a big pot here. He can overplay Q10 in this spot, overplay trips. You just can't fold with 100bb. I would just go a bit bigger on the flop and look to get stacks in when you
Boat up, you want to get max value for the times you
Don't get coolered.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the villian obviously trying to getting max value early.

you should 3bet turn or fold. you can fold to a 4 bet shoove in turn

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for tips guys much appreciated.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet preflop >7.5bb cos you are out of position
from turn you should be raising. he will answer with any king and you blocking jacks

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To start, I think your 3 bet is way too small. JJ is a very strong hand preflop and you'll want to build a pot. I think somewhere around 7.5bb as zuker said is reasonable. I think this is a place you should look to C bet but again I think I would use a larger size, 60-75% of the pot depending on how often villain is likely to fold to a c bet. I think the reraise on the flop would more than likely be the best time to get out of the hand but your smaller bet sizes kinda kept you in. Assuming you had already made the call, the J on the turn virtually guarantees you're going to go broke in my opinion. You have the near nuts, you're majorly blocking the nuts and a K will still think they have you crushed. Villain's reraise on the river would be the last chance you have to get away with some of your stack remaining but I don't think I would be able to do so. If there is any flush draws on the board on the river it gives you more hands you have crushed that villain could be looking to shove with. I think you made a few mistakes with betting sizes but I'm not entirely sure if proper sizing would have gotten JK out of the hands preflop.

I think all in all I would have ended up folding to the reraise on the flop, I would have lost a few more bbs if you used these betting sizes but the reraises would have looked much stronger and possibly would have made it easier to get away from.

I'm just a micro grinder tho so take my advice with a grain of salt but I hope it helps!

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To start, I think your 3 bet is way too small. JJ is a very strong hand preflop and you'll want to build a pot. I think somewhere around 7.5bb as zuker said is reasonable. I think this is a place you should look to C bet but again I think I would use a larger size, 60-75% of the pot depending on how often villain is likely to fold to a c bet. I think the reraise on the flop would more than likely be the best time to get out of the hand but your smaller bet sizes kinda kept you in. Assuming you had already made the call, the J on the turn virtually guarantees you're going to go broke in my opinion. You have the near nuts, you're majorly blocking the nuts and a K will still think they have you crushed. Villain's reraise on the river would be the last chance you have to get away with some of your stack remaining but I don't think I would be able to do so. If there is any flush draws on the board on the river it gives you more hands you have crushed that villain could be looking to shove with. I think you made a few mistakes with betting sizes but I'm not entirely sure if proper sizing would have gotten JK out of the hands preflop.

I think all in all I would have ended up folding to the reraise on the flop, I would have lost a few more bbs if you used these betting sizes but the reraises would have looked much stronger and possibly would have made it easier to get away from.

I'm just a micro grinder tho so take my advice with a grain of salt but I hope it helps!

Thanks for a comprehensive breakdown analysis, I'll take it all on board.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a cooler.

Still a newbie but was really annoyed with the outcome of this hand, any help and tips on how i could of played this hand differently is much appreciated.

Villan CO : KJ off, raised 2.5BB
Hero BB : JJ 3bets 5Bb

Villan calls

Flop : KK9

HERO Continues bets 5BB
Villan 3 bets to 13BB

This was where I seriously considered folding as I put villan on a King. Netherless I called to see the turn.

Turn is a Jack, we both check

River is a 7, and I put a heavy bet in. Villan shoves. I put villan on K,10 and make the call.

To my disgust Villan turns over king Jack.

Should i have folded after the flop?
Thanks

So If you know this villain only does this with a K on the flop and yes you can know this. Fold and move on. Trust your read.
Make sure this read is based on DATA not fear of a K.

Getting bluffed once means nothing. Do not over ride your read because maybe this villain bluffs one time in twenty.

Hope this helps

:):)