$5 NLHE 6-max: AK bad line vs fish ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AJJ flop is quite different from A44 or A22. A bad player in particular can absolutely call a 3-bet with a J in his hand, while a 4 or 2 would be at least somewhat unlikely. So this is not like the greatest situation for you in a 3-way pot against two bad players. Given that he lead for this very silly size, I dont hate your line of essentially ignoring it and putting in a real bet myself, but I lean towards taking the pot control line on the flop.

And on the turn, when he lead again, and this time for a substantial size, that is an action, you need to respect. His small flop lead can be all sorts of silly nonsense, but when you raised him on the flop, and he then lead again on the turn, he is showing a lot of strength. The profit at 5NL is not coming from making big hero calls against unknown fish, so I prefer to lay it down on the turn as played, unless you had seen him go on some crazy bluffs in the previous hands.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AJJ flop is quite different from A44 or A22. A bad player in particular can absolutely call a 3-bet with a J in his hand, while a 4 or 2 would be at least somewhat unlikely. So this is not like the greatest situation for you in a 3-way pot against two bad players. Given that he lead for this very silly size, I dont hate your line of essentially ignoring it and putting in a real bet myself, but I lean towards taking the pot control line on the flop.

And on the turn, when he lead again, and this time for a substantial size, that is an action, you need to respect. His small flop lead can be all sorts of silly nonsense, but when you raised him on the flop, and he then lead again on the turn, he is showing a lot of strength. The profit at 5NL is not coming from making big hero calls against unknown fish, so I prefer to lay it down on the turn as played, unless you had seen him go on some crazy bluffs in the previous hands.

Im never laying the turn down once i make the flop call,so if im laying it down i think i should be raise/folding the flop and not calling the 3bet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe there is a short cut-out in the recording? I see him lead the flop for 20c and you raise to 70c, and then the next thing, I see, is him being all in on the turn. I assumed, he called you on the flop and then lead turn again. But if he actually 3-bet the flop, yeah then I am leaning towards a fold there also. A small lead and then 3-bet is also a very strong line from a fish. He go small to induce a raise and to not lose his customer, and then when he feel, you have something, he go for it.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe there is a short cut-out in the recording? I see him lead the flop for 20c and you raise to 70c, and then the next thing, I see, is him being all in on the turn. I assumed, he called you on the flop and then lead turn again. But if he actually 3-bet the flop, yeah then I am leaning towards a fold there also. A small lead and then 3-bet is also a very strong line from a fish. He go small to induce a raise and to not lose his customer, and then when he feel, you have something, he go for it.

You should be seeing me raising to .70 and villain re-popping to 1.62 and me calling .92 then villain shoving the turn all in and me calling. The clip should be 1.16 long it's all there when i click the link and watch the video.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I see that now. I think, the theoretically correct line against an unknown here is to pay the extra 92c on the flop to not allow him to bluff you very cheaply but fold to his turn jam, which is still for more than half the pot. You have better hands to defend with here like AA, AJ, KJs, QJs, so its fine to let this one go, when he wants to play for all the money.

However against a fish I would not hate your idea of raise-folding on the flop. Most fish are not bluffing with this mini-lead, then small 3-bet line, and if he does have a J, as he is representing, you are drawing to two outs.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not say that you played badly. Judging by your green note, this opponent clearly overestimates the strength of his hands, and he may have small pairs, such as 22-88, or a flush draw, against which you have more chances to win. If I were in your situation, I would do the same.