$5 NLHE 6-max: AAA on turn, villan shoves river. Your play?

• Thread starter MidnightSleepless
  • Start date
M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all. Just wanted to get some idea for how this hand went down and what other people might do in a similar position? Did I over play this hand?

EP - Hero - A♤K♡ ($5)
D - Villian (eff stack $4)

Hero raise $0.12
D - calls
SB - folds
BB - folds

Pot = $0.30
Flop
A♧ 8♤ 3◇

Hero bets
$0.15
Villan calls

Pot = $0.58
Turn
A◇
Hero bets $0.40
Villan calls

Pot = $1.35
River
7♤
Hero checks
Villan shoves $3.33

Hero???

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you should bet the river for value. As played its a little bit gross, because his overbet jam is kind of representing a full house. However if he is bad enough to have A8, A7 or A3, then he is also bad enough to have all the other AX and to overvalue some of the better ones like AQ/AJ. So I dont think, you can fold this as played, but its pretty close.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi all. Just wanted to get some idea for how this hand went down and what other people might do in a similar position? Did I over play this hand?

EP - Hero - A♤K♡ ($5)
D - Villian (eff stack $4)

Hero raise $0.12
D - calls
SB - folds
BB - folds

Pot = $0.30
Flop
A♧ 8♤ 3◇

Hero bets
$0.15
Villan calls

Pot = $0.58
Turn
A◇
Hero bets $0.40
Villan calls

Pot = $1.35
River
7♤
Hero checks
Villan shoves $3.33

Hero???

Hi MidnightSleepless, I liked very much the way it was played. OTR, we can be calling this very safely if we already have postflop information about Villain to be spewy.
The other cases, almost 99% of times we are folding, because this line OTR is representing a couple of full-houses and we didn't invest that much that it is impossible to fold OTR vs odds.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this

I did put villan on a boat just always hard to fold AAA from AK.

Could I have bet for thin value (1/3 -1/2 pot) on the river (hoping villan is on Ax) then fold when jammed on or does this just look weak and entices bluffs?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Semi grunch. I also prefer bet / eval river. This isn't that thin. If you aren't getting 3 streets with top trips top kicker I think you're missing value. Board was pretty dry so maybe we can find some bet / folds on this river. If he had 88 or 33 it was well played by V. If he had Aces full I'd make a note. I think checking river will induce more bluffs than betting but you haven't given any reads so I think the default is bet / eval.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The big problem here is checking the river. You hit trips with top kicker, you're perfectly happy betting for value all three streets here, especially when there's no flushes or straights available.

As played, snap call. You lose to the full houses (77, 88, 33, A3, A7, A8). You chop with another AK. You beat the eight other Ax hands, the KK/QQ trying to salvage their big opening hand with a semi-bluff, and the naked bluffs. With the pot odds, you can be wrong a little more than half the time and still be +EV.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could I have bet for thin value (1/3 -1/2 pot) on the river (hoping villan is on Ax) then fold when jammed on or does this just look weak and entices bluffs?

Its not a thin value bet, and there is no need to size down. You can absolutely bet 50-70% pot on the river and still get plenty of value. And yes if he jam over the top of that, then I am more inclined to give him credit and lay it down. The problem with your check is, you look weak, and that can induce some spazz from a bad player.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mathematically it`s borderline decision. Villain could have nuts (88, 77, 33, A3, A8, A7) and he could have weaker hands (Ax, slowplayed JJ+).
So i would call river if villain some kind fishy.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, in this situation hero has hard decision on the river. When hero check on the river, hero gives our opponent an initiative. On that board I probably play like opponent with full house, big bet on the river at least 100% of the pot or more and I go allin. I don't think so that opponent bluffs hero on the river, because strong aces are usually in hero's range from early position and it very risky move for opponent to bluff. So I agree with guys that very possible that opponent has full house. Without some reads on opponent hero can fold this three of kind, because opponent's bet seems to be very strong on the river. If I had some information about opponent that he made some weak moves before that hand I think you can risk and call on the river, because you have three of a kind with the best kicker.

Last edited:
M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all your replies and insights. Really helpful seeing how good poker players think.

This was played on 888 poker snap so I had no stats on villan. I've had numerous "bad beats" like this recently which probably led me to check fold river.

I feel if I was in a tournament or a higher stakes game (where people actually knew what they were doing) I may be more inclined to call but to easy for villan to have A8 etc

Once again thanks all really really helpful