$5 NLHE 6-max: $5 NLHE 6-max: 5NL Zoom SB vs. BB

S

scarsam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a hand i played at 5NL Zoom. My question is if my play on the flop is correct. After reviewing the hand off the table I thought that i eiter should've folded after his all-in, or called to see what would develop on the turn. What do you guys think?

partypoker - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 107.8 BB (VPIP: 21.56, PFR: 15.57, 3Bet Preflop: 10.14, hands: 171)
Hero (SB): 101.4 BB
BB: 105.4 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 3)
UTG: 49 BB (VPIP: 22.03, PFR: 21.19, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 121)
MP: 98.2 BB (VPIP: 11.90, PFR: 4.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 42)
CO: 158.2 BB (VPIP: 16.30, PFR: 13.19, 3Bet Preflop: 5.86, Hands: 799)

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has T:heart: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.4 BB, BB raises to 9.6 BB, Hero calls 7.2 BB

Flop: (19.2 BB, 2 players) J:heart: 3:spade: K:heart:
Hero checks, BB bets 11.4 BB, Hero raises to 38.8 BB, BB raises to 95.8 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 53 BB and is all-in

Turn: (202.8 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:

River: (202.8 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:

Hero shows T:heart: A:heart: (Two Pair, Jacks and Threes)
(Pre 13%, Flop 46%, Turn 25%)
BB shows A:spade: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Jacks)
(Pre 87%, Flop 54%, Turn 75%)
BB wins 4 BB
BB wins 192.8 BB

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Postflop it is just bad luck.
Check raise is standard and you have enough pot odds to call the shove against villain value ranges {AKo,AKs,KJs,KJo,AA}.

I don't think you should check-call the flop as aggressive villain could cbet his whole range on this board and you can get many hands AQ,AJ,QQ,JTs,TT,99,65s etc to fold

Preflop maybe you can find exploitative fold on 4x 3bet sizing tells sometimes.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think you played it okay. I think once villain raises all in you have good pot odds to justify a call. 9 outs for a flush plus 3 to hit a queen, 12 outs by the river 42% or something like that.
Pretty sure pot odds will be less than that.

You could even justify a 4 bet AT sb vs bb as ranges are wide, and then you can fold if villain jams.

But I think as you played it is okay

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against an unknown opponent on the flop, you can sometimes play and call. Against an adequate opponent, you must always check-raise the flop.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling or raising are fine, i tend to prefer calling in this spot i think you have more options and fold equity on the turn once you call.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Postflop it is just bad luck.
Check raise is standard and you have enough pot odds to call the shove against villain value ranges {AKo,AKs,KJs,KJo,AA}.

I don't think you should check-call the flop as aggressive villain could cbet his whole range on this board and you can get many hands AQ,AJ,QQ,JTs,TT,99,65s etc to fold

Preflop maybe you can find exploitative fold on 4x 3bet sizing tells sometimes.

The problem is that when you check raise in general, you do this because you have good equity if called/reshoved AND because you think you can make villain fold some of his BETTER hands. You dont want him to fold the air.

In this exact spot you have so much equity that I dont mind check raising and GII but you have to understand that if you check raise you fold out all of his air (WHICH HE DOESNT HAVE MUCH IN THE FIRST PLACE) so you are basically isolating yourself against hands that have more immediate hand strength IE top pairs + better.

The only possible hands that you can fold out by raising is AJs and AJo and some AQ, but those hands are not gonna bet turn so you realise your equity anyways and you can just stab the later streets if villain checks on the turn.

I would just call the flop for the good price with massive equity and clear outs. If you check raise and get shoved on you are at best flipping (which is cool) but you are never gonna be ahead. And thats the problem. I would prefer to keep Villains range a bit wider, so he can sometimes barrel turn or I can stab river for cheap.

EDIT: Generally, I would prefer check raising lower equity draws, not premium draws like this.