$5 NLHE 6-max: 3 bet pot oop, we have pocket pair. A comes on turn

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I don't know what to do when I have pocket pair, I am oop and, and comes card, which is in my range. I considered, smaller bet on turn, to be called by some worse pocket pairs (TT,66,88) or check call on turn. Villain is unknown for me. I would be glad if you could help me.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/convert

Player3 (UTG): $6.08 (122 bb)
Player4 (MP): $6.17 (123 bb)
Player5 (CO): $7.47 (149 bb)
Player6 (BU): $5.00 (100 bb)
Player1 (SB): $5.27 (105 bb)
Hero (BB): $5.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero (Hero) is BB with J♠ J♦
3 players fold, Player6 (BU) raises to $0.12, 1 fold, Hero (BB) 3-bets to $0.40, Player6 (BU) calls $0.28

Flop: ($0.82) 4♦ 9♠ 7♥ (2 players)
Hero (BB) bets $0.46, Player6 (BU) calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.74) A♣ (2 players)
Hero (BB) bets $0.88, Player6 (BU) calls $0.88

River: ($3.50) K♠ (2 players)
Hero (BB) checks, Player6 (BU) checks

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your line was fine and would have played it the same way.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi, I don't know what to do when I have pocket pair, I am oop and, and comes card, which is in my range. I considered, smaller bet on turn, to be called by some worse pocket pairs (TT,66,88) or check call on turn. Villain is unknown for me. I would be glad if you could help me.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/convert

Player3 (UTG): $6.08 (122 bb)
Player4 (MP): $6.17 (123 bb)
Player5 (CO): $7.47 (149 bb)
Player6 (BU): $5.00 (100 bb)
Player1 (SB): $5.27 (105 bb)
Hero (BB): $5.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero (Hero) is BB with J♠ J♦
3 players fold, Player6 (BU) raises to $0.12, 1 fold, Hero (BB) 3-bets to $0.40, Player6 (BU) calls $0.28

Flop: ($0.82) 4♦ 9♠ 7♥ (2 players)
Hero (BB) bets $0.46, Player6 (BU) calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.74) A♣ (2 players)
Hero (BB) bets $0.88, Player6 (BU) calls $0.88

River: ($3.50) K♠ (2 players)
Hero (BB) checks, Player6 (BU) checks

This is a very common "mistake" at the micros, although we should not be calling it an error, but it seems that overall, the vast majority of the cash population is 3-betting TT+ and ATs+ BB x BTN or BB x CO a 100% of times.

Having said that, it looks like a little mistake to me, because we shouldn't be doing anything at poker a 100% of times: sometimes we should be calling with TT+ and AJs+ vesus HJ/CO/BTN and SB specially, to protect our calling range from time to time.

Well, the c-bet flop is a little bit too high as well, 1/3 pot in this situation is good enough and OTT we shouldn't be value betting our own value range, i.e, by betting OTT we allow Villain to call with a bunch of Ax, raise us and a lot of nasty stuff that we don't love, plus the fact that we don't know what to do OTR if Villain calls/raises.

Even at the micros, we must have a calling frequency/ratio from the BB versus CO/BTN/SB when we are holding the Top Premium hands. Of course we are 3-betting more than calling, but calling is a damn good move, from time to time (Villains never expect us to be flatting preflop with JJ+:D)

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your play on this hand was good.

3 bet vs BU open with JJ is standard.

Good cbet size on the flop.

Checking the turn and river is fine, and villain let you get to showdown oop.

My guess is that you lost the hand, or you probably wouldn't have posted it. Your play was good.

The turn A is a great card for your uncapped range, so you could have followed through with a turn cbet, but being allowed to realise whatever equity you had by checking both turn and river is not a disaster.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I also think that you played this hand good. Bets on the flop and on the turn looks good. On the flop we have usually the best hand and we should bet at least 50% of the pot to protect pocket jj on this flop. Turn isn't good card for pocket jj OOP, if we would check the turn card, opponent can think that we afraid this card, so better a little risk and bet the turn. When you 3bet pre flop, in your range are strong aces Ako and AQo and the turn card is good for you to represent this ace. On the river I play check, because of two over cards on the board and I hope that opponent also will play check.