$400 NLHE Full Ring: $400 NLHE Full Ring: strange flop with KK

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero has been playing fairly tight, big stack around 1000BB

Villain is tight, fairly aggro, stacked around 500BB.

this is 2/5 not 2/4

Hero is UTG
Hero raises to 20 with Ks Kh
Folds around to villain on bttn.
Villain 3-bets to 60
Hero 4-bets to 180
Villain tanks, calls.

Flop: Ah As Ad

Hero checks
Villain bets 200
Hero calls

Turn 9h

Hero checks
Villain bets 550
hero calls

River 2c

Hero checks
Villain bets 1000
Hero raises to 3000

Is my line here ok? or have i completely butchered this hand?

I had been check calling for two reasons: minimize my losses to his AK, AQ hands and trap any non ace hands like QQ or JJ. I do have the second nuts with aces full.

Is the check raise on the river okay? I feel like this isnt his line with quad aces.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way it went down till the river the hands are probably very strong holdings. And yes you have the second nuts but I would ask myself this question.

Looking at the river what would he value bet that can call your raise other then Ax and perhaps KK. You represent a strong hand with a 4 Bet pre-flop and check-call on flop and turn. I would have called the river and hope that hes on a bluff or made a thin value bet. For me the check raise on the river is a to thin value check raise.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see how villain can continue betting the turn or river without the Ace here. Its a 4-bet pot preflop between 2 tight players. If villain doesn't have the Ace, he is afraid that you do. Your check calling line is screaming Ax. He can't call your river raise with less than a chop here imo. I would continue to minimize losses to AK/AQ and just call the river.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I doubt villain would bet 3 streets for value with QQ,JJ in a 4bet pot. Also unlikely he would turn those hands into triple barrel bluff as you are likely to call with KK, maybe QQ.

I may find a fold on the river if he is a good TAG, or call the river bet if I know he would call 4bet with suited connectors and capable firing triple barrel bluff.

at most you can only extract more value from overplayed QQ on the river but nothing else really.

oriole

oriole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very unusual hand. I just don't see what check-raising river will accomplish. You have told a very believable story that you either have AK, KK or QQ, so why would he call with anything worse than this?

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey TJ, if your opponent is 500bb deep to start, isn't your jam on the river less than a minraise? If so, that's the ONLY reason I could see it being okay.

Otherwise I think it's rather silly because villain can't put us on worse than what we have, ever, with a hand that we want him to call with imo.

If it truly is less than a minraise then I get it because it seems impossible he folds QQ and JJ now to less than a minraise, but otherwise why did you say raise to 3k then?

In any case, I'd usually just check call here, but it's kind of nice to have weird check raises in weird spots sometimes. I'm just not sure it's that valuable or displays to opponents that you're "tricky" beyond the scope of this exact spot.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Several hands you've posted now have you check-raising or jamming the river with marginal to strong holdings. You really shouldn't be doing this so frequently without the nuts or a solid read. Again, high risk-low reward. You also lose the chance to see your opponent's hand (and get info) by not simply calling.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd call his river, but I wouldn't flip immediately. I would still fear his ace.

S

Simplex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer a call here. Only worse hand that might call here is QQ, and think that's unlikely.

Looks like you're reraising A x, the same hand KK (which he might fold), QQ (which is likely to fold), or air (never calling).

Seems like a risky move. You'll get snapped off by A x obviously, may get the same hand to fold, and fold out most everything else that was never calling.

I prob just call the 1000 and let him roll over A x.