J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iPoker, Hold'em No Limit - €0.02/€0.04 - 6 players

Replay this hand on CardsChat

Ive been analyzing hands today especially c/betting light and for value with made hands and for thin value on later streets.
Heres a spot I find myself in from time to time, in the example I think I could of played the hand differently, ill explain why I played the hand in the way that I did and then explain another way that has just come to me!

I open 3x in the CO (slightly more than standard for me) as there is a big fish in the BB.,
villian playing at 68/0/3 vpip/pfr/ag 135 hands, (fold to cbet 30) (wtsd 18)

villian min donks the flop which I effectively ignore and bet out about 75% to start building this pot, if villian has connected in any way to this flop I am expecting a call and expect to be well ahead.

I elect to check back this turn because
- I have a decent amount of SDV
- I can induce villian to bluff on the river and consider a hero call.
- If villian checks again on the river I can consider a thin value bet.

I fold this river due to villians relatively low wtsd stat and passive style of play

Another way I could have played this hand is to
- Barrel the turn for fold equity and charge any draws, if villian calls I still have some (although small) equity to improve on,

- I can get still get value from draws with one card still to come
- I can likely check back the river, (unless villian leads the river or check raises the turn)

I guess what im getting at is when i check back the turn it caps my range and invites a bluff??

I haven't given much attention to ranges in this specific example, but if anyone could assist with my thought process that would be great.
thanks

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Turn check is very bad, I think you were afraid of the K, and the fold of the river is very very weak. As you played the hand you are giving away the money.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The issue in this hand is, you are not sticking to your own plan. On the turn you check back "because it can induce bluffs". But when you actually get a river bet out of him on a complete brick, you fold "because of his stats". I understand, that the overbet might have send you for a loop, but as played I think, you should still carry out your plan and call him down.

The alternative is to bet the turn and check back the river. In that way you get to set your own price, and if he start check-raising you, you have a much easier fold. Against a whale like this I think, that is generally the better way to play the hand. He can still call you on the turn with a lot of worse one pair and draws. He dont always have top pair or better, when he is playing this many hands and rarely folding to C-bets either.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
iPoker, Hold'em No Limit - €0.02/€0.04 - 6 players

Replay this hand on CardsChat

Ive been analyzing hands today especially c/betting light and for value with made hands and for thin value on later streets.
Heres a spot I find myself in from time to time, in the example I think I could of played the hand differently, ill explain why I played the hand in the way that I did and then explain another way that has just come to me!

I open 3x in the CO (slightly more than standard for me) as there is a big fish in the BB.,
villian playing at 68/0/3 vpip/pfr/ag 135 hands, (fold to cbet 30) (wtsd 18)

villian min donks the flop which I effectively ignore and bet out about 75% to start building this pot, if villian has connected in any way to this flop I am expecting a call and expect to be well ahead.

I elect to check back this turn because
- I have a decent amount of SDV
- I can induce villian to bluff on the river and consider a hero call.
- If villian checks again on the river I can consider a thin value bet.

I fold this river due to villians relatively low wtsd stat and passive style of play

Another way I could have played this hand is to
- Barrel the turn for fold equity and charge any draws, if villian calls I still have some (although small) equity to improve on,

- I can get still get value from draws with one card still to come
- I can likely check back the river, (unless villian leads the river or check raises the turn)

I guess what im getting at is when i check back the turn it caps my range and invites a bluff??

I haven't given much attention to ranges in this specific example, but if anyone could assist with my thought process that would be great.
thanks

Hello mate, thank you very much for sharing with the CardsChat community.

Preflop

Okay

the postflop

The Flop

Now, here comes a little problem: when we open from CO we have dynamic ranges, and almost never we are going to display something like JJ ('the nuts').
We are going to have more 22 and 66 than JJ this is my point.
When the BB donks this small sizing, I see no reason to be overplaying our Jacks from the CO: AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, J9, J8, J7, well we have a lot of jacks here and BB also can display some of them.
Although the check-raise is not entirely bad, this action forces us to be commited with the pot on many turns and rivers that are not going to be tasty.

The Turn

Your check OTT is weak. If you check-raise for protection you should continue betting to extract value from worst jacks and the draws of straights and flushes. By checking you allow Villain to play close to perfection plus you give a free and cheap river for a player OOP.

The River

Yeah, I expected that.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands