Replay this hand on CardsChat
Mateus3766 (UTG): €6.51 (163 bb)
DIOS (MP): €6.45 (161 bb)
Perdiboukos (CO): €8.03 (201 bb)
LOUBANEZ (BU): €5.23 (131 bb)
FunkBassplayer (SB): €5.45 (136 bb)
suncertain65 (BB): €1.94 (49 bb)
Pre-Flop: (€0.06) Hero (LOUBANEZ) is BTN with K J
2 players fold, Perdiboukos (CO) calls €0.04, LOUBANEZ (BU) raises to €0.16, 2 players fold, Perdiboukos (CO) calls €0.12
Flop: (€0.38) 3 J 8 (2 players)
Perdiboukos (CO) checks, LOUBANEZ (BU) bets €0.24, Perdiboukos (CO) calls €0.24
Turn: (€0.86) A (2 players)
Perdiboukos (CO) bets €0.51, LOUBANEZ (BU) calls €0.51
River: (€1.88) A (2 players)
Perdiboukos (CO) bets €3.34, LOUBANEZ (BU) folds
Total pot: €1.88 (Rake: €0.15)
Perdiboukos (CO) wins €1.73

main villian is playing at 38/0/1 vpip/pfr/Ag 38hands

I don't know if this guy knew something about my play but 3 times he lead into me on different hands, above is one example, I was ready to get 2 to 3 streets of value from this seemingly passive player (from the stats),
whats a good thought process to go through in these spots,
Thanks

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very hard decision. For a passive player, you should expect que had a really good hand to play like that. But if he was playing aggressively against you, you could think about a three barrel bluff from him. But your hand wasn't strong enough to call a big raise I think.
I would play just like you.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is completely fine. You cant fold on the turn with a pair + flushdraw, but when he overbet jam the river, this is kind of a trivial fold. You will have AX fairly often, that you were raising preflop and then C-betting the flop just trying to make him fold. So you dont need to defend here with less than trips.

Your hand also has really bad removal. You dont block a lot of value hands, and holding two clubs mean you block quite a few potential bluffs. So even though a hand like Ah5h would also be a pure bluff catcher, it is a much better candidate for making a big hero call on the river.

Dont overthink spots like this. The fish probably sucked out on you with A8 or A3. Players like this rarely bluff, so it probably is, what it looks like, when he donk the turn and jam the river.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hero IP cappes its continuation range OTT. Line: donk-calling

iPoker, Hold'em No Limit - €0.02/€0.04 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat
Mateus3766 (UTG): €6.51 (163 bb)
DIOS (MP): €6.45 (161 bb)
Perdiboukos (CO): €8.03 (201 bb)
LOUBANEZ (BU): €5.23 (131 bb)
FunkBassplayer (SB): €5.45 (136 bb)
suncertain65 (BB): €1.94 (49 bb)
Pre-Flop: (€0.06) Hero (LOUBANEZ) is BTN with K J
2 players fold, Perdiboukos (CO) calls €0.04, LOUBANEZ (BU) raises to €0.16, 2 players fold, Perdiboukos (CO) calls €0.12
Flop: (€0.38) 3 J 8 (2 players)
Perdiboukos (CO) checks, LOUBANEZ (BU) bets €0.24, Perdiboukos (CO) calls €0.24
Turn: (€0.86) A (2 players)
Perdiboukos (CO) bets €0.51, LOUBANEZ (BU) calls €0.51
River: (€1.88) A (2 players)
Perdiboukos (CO) bets €3.34, LOUBANEZ (BU) folds
Total pot: €1.88 (Rake: €0.15)
Perdiboukos (CO) wins €1.73

main villian is playing at 38/0/1 vpip/pfr/Ag 38hands

I don't know if this guy knew something about my play but 3 times he lead into me on different hands, above is one example, I was ready to get 2 to 3 streets of value from this seemingly passive player (from the stats),
whats a good thought process to go through in these spots,
Thanks

Hi Jarud, thank you very much for sharing.

The Preflop

Okay raising limpers here, but since we are doing with a fair chunk of hands, for example JTo, Q9o, etc, I rather go for 3.5x with all of my range, since limpers overcall out of position.

the postflop

The Flop

9.5 blinds on the pot, you got TP2K, have position and goes for a 6 blinds c-bet. As you stated above, "3 times he lead into me on different hands, " you have information of Villain to be "aggressive" to put chips on the pot in several spots for exploitation, so in this specific case, given that Villain loves to make the pot grow, I would not c-bet for 2/3 pot for several reasons.
One, the pot is already bigger than usual, and we and villain started the hand with effective stacks bigger than usual, so we don't want to go for stacks in situations like this with TPTK or a FD.
Two, the Villain is spewy and tends to lead in streets we are winning, so I am more inclined of betting less, keeping the pot small, or even checking depending on the case, since spewy Villain loves to lead and to bluff we open space for it.
Without no information about ranges, Villain could've called your huge c-bet flop with SD's, 8x, and Jx, and I guess that I would be folding its 3x, maybe some A3, but even so, no price was given for such range to continue.

The Turn

The turn brings a flush draw and Villain donks for 12.75 blinds for a pot of 21.5 blinds.
The ace of clubs completes some part of Villain's range but given that it uses to lead in several spots and the fact that we have pretty good equity we could be raising/overbetting this turn, since our 2P2K now lost quite a few value.
When do we call here we cappe our range for certain groups of medium-weak hands: which hands raise PF IP, c-bets 2/3 pot and CALLS 1/2 donk OTT when it opens a FD+SD?
Hero's hands right now need protection against the flush and by the same token we have the nut flush draw plus 2P2K, meaning a lot of equity for many rivers versus unknown ranges like this.
I guess the only hand we are calling this donk is AJ, because we would be blocking almost all of Villain's combos, and the flush draw would not be a concern for us. 33, JJ, 88, AA, J8, A8, all of those hands should/could be raising this donk for value, considering that Hero usually has range advantage on scenarios like this.
Yes, we would turn our 2P2K+NFD into a bluff right now, because we have tons of equity.
Well, we do call, which is not the end of the world, but we give information for Villain that our range is capped for medium-weak hands, such as TPTK, 2PTK, etc.

The River

Unless you enjoy bingos and guessing games, this is a clear, easy fold, given Hero's and Villain's lines. Villain bets simply 83.5 blinds for a pot of only 47 blinds giving us no odds in the face of a very deep representation: Ax, 33, 88, but by the same token this kindda of Villain can have a ton of bluffs here, such as missed flush draws and missed straight draws.
However, calling here to gather information of Villain's range is a huge mistake, is better die of curiosity than losing a big pot, with the low excuse that "the Villain is/was a fish".

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jarud, thank you very much for sharing.

The Preflop

Okay raising limpers here, but since we are doing with a fair chunk of hands, for example JTo, Q9o, etc, I rather go for 3.5x with all of my range, since limpers overcall out of position.

the postflop

The Flop

9.5 blinds on the pot, you got TP2K, have position and goes for a 6 blinds c-bet. As you stated above, "3 times he lead into me on different hands, " you have information of Villain to be "aggressive" to put chips on the pot in several spots for exploitation, so in this specific case, given that Villain loves to make the pot grow, I would not c-bet for 2/3 pot for several reasons.
One, the pot is already bigger than usual, and we and villain started the hand with effective stacks bigger than usual, so we don't want to go for stacks in situations like this with TPTK or a FD.
Two, the Villain is spewy and tends to lead in streets we are winning, so I am more inclined of betting less, keeping the pot small, or even checking depending on the case, since spewy Villain loves to lead and to bluff we open space for it.
Without no information about ranges, Villain could've called your huge c-bet flop with SD's, 8x, and Jx, and I guess that I would be folding its 3x, maybe some A3, but even so, no price was given for such range to continue.

The Turn

The turn brings a flush draw and Villain donks for 12.75 blinds for a pot of 21.5 blinds.
The ace of clubs completes some part of Villain's range but given that it uses to lead in several spots and the fact that we have pretty good equity we could be raising/overbetting this turn, since our 2P2K now lost quite a few value.
When do we call here we cappe our range for certain groups of medium-weak hands: which hands raise PF IP, c-bets 2/3 pot and CALLS 1/2 donk OTT when it opens a FD+SD?
Hero's hands right now need protection against the flush and by the same token we have the nut flush draw plus 2P2K, meaning a lot of equity for many rivers versus unknown ranges like this.
I guess the only hand we are calling this donk is AJ, because we would be blocking almost all of Villain's combos, and the flush draw would not be a concern for us. 33, JJ, 88, AA, J8, A8, all of those hands should/could be raising this donk for value, considering that Hero usually has range advantage on scenarios like this.
Yes, we would turn our 2P2K+NFD into a bluff right now, because we have tons of equity.
Well, we do call, which is not the end of the world, but we give information for Villain that our range is capped for medium-weak hands, such as TPTK, 2PTK, etc.

The River

Unless you enjoy bingos and guessing games, this is a clear, easy fold, given Hero's and Villain's lines. Villain bets simply 83.5 blinds for a pot of only 47 blinds giving us no odds in the face of a very deep representation: Ax, 33, 88, but by the same token this kindda of Villain can have a ton of bluffs here, such as missed flush draws and missed straight draws.
However, calling here to gather information of Villain's range is a huge mistake, is better die of curiosity than losing a big pot, with the low excuse that "the Villain is/was a fish".

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Thanks for this in depth analysis, I like you suggestions on the flop especially 👍

Folding in Poker