$300 NLHE Full Ring: NLHE: all in with ace king - short stack?

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello all! Recently I played my first game of real life poker and went bust extremely fast. I wanted to check with the community to see if I should have played differently.

For starters, I made the mistake of only buying in with the minimum (100$). I was at a very aggressive, very loose table. People calling Preflop raises of x3 B.B. with Jank. Lost a few Ax cards that way.

Eventually I am dealt AK suited right of the big blind. It comes to me and I raise 15$. The individual two seats to my left reraises. It would put me almost all in to call. If I don’t call, I would have a very spare chip count.

In the end I decide to go all in. He ends up having KK and I dont hit anything.

Was I right in my decision? Had I actually done the right thing (and had 200 more chips lol) I probably would have folded. But being so low with the aggressiveness of the table my first gut was I had the best chance to win in that spot or I would go bust later.

Thoughts?

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure the 3bet size, but It is normally fine to 4bet shove with AKs here.
Against premium ranges, TT+,AQs,AKo+, you are not that far behind (45.3% equity vs 54.7%), not to mention villain could open wider with polarised range.

Short-stacked you don't have much choice, with larger stack, you should 4bet here rather than folding, since it is a loose game.

Also you mentioned "The individual two seats to my left reraises", so I guess UTG straddled so you may need to adjust your raise size as well.

Regarding Ax... I am not sure if you should play them at all apart from AJs+ as you are so short. It is not really a mistake to play short stacked but have to employ a different strategy e.g. play no speculative hands but only the premium ones because there is not enough implied odds.

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eventually I am dealt AK suited right of the big blind. It comes to me and I raise 15$. The individual two seats to my left reraises. It would put me almost all in to call. If I don’t call, I would have a very spare chip count.

Was I right in my decision?

It can depend on 3-bet sizing by villain and information you have on them. I am assuming you are short stacked though because you said you were buying in for minimum, so any shove over a 3-bet is standard with AKo+ in this spot.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was short stacked in that position. Big mistake of not buying in for maximum, but live and Learn.

3betfish

3betfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was short stacked in that position. Big mistake of not buying in for maximum, but live and Learn.

Not a mistake at all. Some people use minimum buy-in strategies, other people prefer to buy in for like 80 or 70 BB rather than 100BB. Other people try and buy as much as the deepest stack. It is all preference. How much you buy in for has its advantages, along with obvious trade-offs.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove here all day with no info on the villain. Very few villains are so tight at low stakes to make me fold AK.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello all! Recently I played my first game of real life poker and went bust extremely fast. I wanted to check with the community to see if I should have played differently.

For starters, I made the mistake of only buying in with the minimum (100$). I was at a very aggressive, very loose table. People calling Preflop raises of x3 B.B. with Jank. Lost a few Ax cards that way.

Was I right in my decision? Had I actually done the right thing (and had 200 more chips lol) I probably would have folded. But being so low with the aggressiveness of the table my first gut was I had the best chance to win in that spot or I would go bust later.

Thoughts?

The dude limped in EP, then limp/rr you. Considering your description of the table, he will have a big pair here. You are coin flipping at best. I would personally fold, but I wouldn't be sitting with a short stack either.

Even if deep, I still fold. We are OOP and we are def beat here.

You shouldn't give results though. Post the hand without the end result.

In live poker, in my opinion, people aren't going to do these things often with less than QQ, most times the limp/rr is KK/AA. Just sit there and watch the game, and see what people show up with in these spots. They nearly always have the goods.

If you were deeper..... If he has KK or QQ, and you outflop him, how much money are you really going to win from him? A bet after the flop? Or worst case scenario the dealer puts out the case K or case A and you get action with TPTK only to find out you are drawing pretty much stone dead.

It's just a spot, a spot where you can easily get away.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To those of you that say this is fine to get it in here, OP said the table was loose, but the limp/rr at a live table is nearly always a big pair. I would consider a limp/rr here too, if I were in EP at a loose table.

Live just plays differently than online. The players you encounter are generally playing scared and they don't get out of line often. They will call, call, call, call pre and post, but aggressive actions like this should be taken seriously.

And furthermore, the raise from BB probably way to small as played. It makes it even easier to get away since H sized raise so small.

Considering the table, and our position, I think the best play (assuming we have about 100) is just shove the BB here. But since we didn't do that, just fold. The EP villain just came out and told you he has a better hand IMO, and he is giving you a "get out of jail free card."

So yeah, my first choice would be shove for 33BB. As played I fold.

I would rather sit in a good game like this with as much money as possible though. We can win much more by just playing tight and waiting to range **** our loose opponents, and we should have as many chips as possible to maximize the profits when we do find ourselves in good spots.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Beanfacekilla here. The table you describe is "calling 3bb raises with jank". The re-raise is not a call and is a big pair for sure at a table like this. With it being a limp/rr, I think you can put villain on AA or KK, so AK is a fold to the re-raise. QQ and JJ are most likely open raising and not limping, so I don't even think you can hope to be flipping here.

I am trying to understand your position here. Are you SB? Did villain limp/rr?

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, some clarification of your position would be helpful here.

However, if hero is sitting at like $70 and raises to $15, he’s getting pretty good odds to call anything not AA/KK. I personally wouldn’t think villains range is restricted to just that at a LAG table... have seen players go nuts with much worse on a call/rr pre

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, some clarification of your position would be helpful here.

However, if hero is sitting at like $70 and raises to $15, he’s getting pretty good odds to call anything not AA/KK. I personally wouldn’t think villains range is restricted to just that at a LAG table... have seen players go nuts with much worse on a call/rr pre

Dude, people don't limp rr with worse man, like ever. This is live poker. Unless we have a specific read on V. That is how people sand bag with big pairs in loose games dude.

He is gonna have like QQ min here. Prob KK and AA. Yes live players are that easy to range.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude, people don't limp rr with worse man, like ever. This is live poker. Unless we have a specific read on V. That is how people sand bag with big pairs in loose games dude.

He is gonna have like QQ min here. Prob KK and AA. Yes live players are that easy to range.

If you are folding AK pre on a short stack just bc someone limp raised you, then you shoudn’t be raising pre in that spot unless you’re shoving. That is the problem with playing short... you’re forced to gamble.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live players are 3-betting nits. This is always a big hand. But you're still too short to fold.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are folding AK pre on a short stack just bc someone limp raised you, then you shoudn’t be raising pre in that spot unless you’re shoving. That is the problem with playing short... you’re forced to gamble.

I did say raise was way too small. I would have shoved in H' s spot.

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a loose table, with AK suited I would shove immediately. With a 15$ raise you can drag more hands into the pot that can beat your AK with a bit of bad luck...