BB folds
UTG calls (2.05)
*** FLOP ***: [4s 9h 2s]
UTG checks
Hero?

UTG is playing very loose... 80/52 and 3b like 25%
BTN is a loose-ish reg.. 33/21

PF.. a standard isolate

Flop... really marginal spot but it seemed like a cool decision at the time given the 36bbs inn the pot and utg's super lose range.

A couple of thoughts.. If I bet ~$7 and BTN shoves i need ~%27 to call, pretty sure I have that vs his range (just about...). BTNs range here pf will be double suited connectors, maybe single suited too.. double connected pairs with a suit, good KK and QQ and double suited connected/broadway JJ. Not many 94/92/22/44 hands. My concern would be a hand like KK with spades or 9TJQ with spades.

if I bet and BTN folds and UTG shoves it's a pretty easy fold given stacks. He's loose, but will have at least a pair 9 or higher +fd shoving here.. I'm like 22% vs that at best.

Bet/folding 1/2 pot is an option. There are some good cards for my hand on the turn.. namely any non spade 7,8,9,T,J,Q. However, I may get shoved on light with that line by BTN given dead money and UTG's loose range.

It's not really a spot/dynamic where I'll be perceived to be c/r all that often. Once I check BTN can bet/call with a pretty wide range given the money in pot and that I'll be folding a ton, and he'll know that.

Sooo.. what do you do?

jacknstax

jacknstax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Okay,

Your beautiful ds 1 gapper (at bottom ... not top ...which is always nice) connects not well aside from top pair. You up vs 2 opponents and you can never make the flush or str8.

You are also oop (to the button) and your UTG fish may call or rr with trash or could have a made hand or make best hand. You have some steal equity
if you con't your story and shove like Jesus on the flop(may get both to fold ...iff neither hit flop hard...but we know u didn't so via process of elimination that one of the two may have hit it well.

Basically, you 3 bet pot with a sweet hand that connects with a ton of flops but not this time. The str8 and flush draws will very likely hit them and therefore I don't see you bullying them to fold...but they may.

Your hand is the type of hands we love to flat with ON THE BUTTON but w/ loosy goosy UTG and the button calling your pretty hand is looking like it may be trash by the river and I don't see you getting there w/o being all in.

It's a difficult spot and bottom line is you just didn't flop well. Our biggest decisions are on the flop and you have little steal equity so obv you entered the hand with the plan of MAKE A HAND Poker at showdown.

A check/fold if either opponent pot it could be the lesser of two evils and
like you said you could be 1/2 pot and if the RR comes in hard fold.

How did the hand end up playing out?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite the spade draw, that's a raggy flop, so I'd be inclined to c-bet half-pot and fold to a raise.

We can't really call a raise, since despite making top pair, we completely whiffed this flop. If one or both flat, we have some backdoor equity to improve us.
I'd say "one and done" and only continue if we improve on the turn

N

nkat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i like the 1/2 pot/fold line the best.

I ended up c/f as i knew if i bet 3/4 id have to call it off