$25 NLHE Full Ring: King vs King - Bad beat or bad play?

S

sportsguy16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.10/$0.25 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/replayer/2qa6ow9

UTG: $3.71 (15 bb)
MP: $34.42 (138 bb)
CO: $28.76 (115 bb)
BU: $5.50 (22 bb)
SB: $89.82 (359 bb)
BB (Hero): $6.44 (26 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with 3♠ K♣
1 fold, MP calls $0.25, 2 players fold, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.75) 5♥ T♥ K♠ (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.37, MP calls $0.37, SB calls $0.37

Turn: ($1.86) T♣ (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $5.82 (all-in), MP folds, SB calls $5.82

River: ($13.50) 6♠ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $13.50 (Rake: $0.67)

Showdown:
BB (Hero) shows 3♠ K♣ (two pair, Kings and Tens)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 27%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 13%, River: 0%)

SB shows K♥ J♣ (two pair, Kings and Tens - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 73%, Flop: 87%, Turn: 88%, River: 100%)

SB wins $12.83

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not bet turn all in with kicker 3

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would check/call flop with TPWK (top pair weak kicker). Most of the time you are ahead but you don't have 3 streets of value+ it's a multiway pot.

Turn is a huge spazz. As played on flop, you should check a turn. This turn is pretty bad. So it's not a bad beat. You just turned your hand into a bluff.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are playing short stacked, so I get why you went all in on the turn. I don't think it was the best play.

If you can't top off, then just wait for a better hand.

When limpers are facing you on the big blind, they know you literally have a random hand. You are representing a ten on the turn, but a pair of tens probably wouldn't bet the flop. So you were kinda gambling on them not having a ten or king, and just folding their flush draws.

So Villain is either a really perceptive player, has a read on you, or just got lucky against you. But I think you could have played better yourself. I would have checked the flop. If it checked around, SB probably would have bet out on the turn, where you could make a fold.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aw I didn't notice you play on total short stack. But it doesn't change anything. Still I think it's better to check/call flop

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am ok with leading the flop with top pair and no kicker, because the board is so wet. There are a ton of draws, they can have, and you dont want to give all those draws a chance to take a free card. Also it was a limped pot, so MP can not even C-bet, because he just limped preflop. Finally if someone had a hand like AA, AK or KQ, they would probably have raised pre, so some of the better 1 pair hands are not in their range or at least discounted.

However as others have said that turn overbet jam, when the board paired with the middle card, is a complete overplay. You are never getting called by worse, and you might even from time to time fold out better. So you turned your hand into a value bluff, which is pretty bad.

The turn is a mandatory check, and ideally you would then like to get to showdown without investing any more money. However if someone bet, you have a bluff catcher, and then you just try to determine, if you are getting the right odds to call. If for instance MP check behind on the turn, and SB then lead for half pot on the river, a call could be justified, since most of the draws busted. Then in this case you see the KJ, and you still lose, but you lose a much smaller pot.

And this is really important, because once you have things like your preflop ranges sorted out, then the rest is really just a mini-max game. You try to win the most, when you have the best hand, and lose as little as possible, when you have the second best. Here you did the opposite and played in a way, so that you lost the most amount possible with the second best hand. In the long run hands like this is the main difference between being a winning, break-even or losing player.

25thinfantryman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would not of bet just checked

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As everyone has said, that turn jam was not a good play. Many people were fine with the flop bet, and I think it's fine to lead if you want. I personally tend to check/call those spots to pot control a bit, I don't want to be playing a big pot with K3 here unless I spike a 3 on the turn or river. I suspect if you check, MP will lead half pot and you'll call. Turn will probably go check check(your post-flop play looks like a T). River I could get behind a blocking bet as you probably shouldn't be calling a 3/4 pot bet/bluff with this hand...you could also get calls from mid range pocket pairs or even hero calls from AQ/AJ. I could also get behind check/call on the river depending on sizing.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What second best hand were you hoping was going to call you on the turn? A draw only? You just pushed a draw out.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most of what has already been said. I think the turn bet is ok if you really think you have the best hand (ie against a draw), then you are charging them to draw. Maybe betting could get a K with weak kicker off to fold, but really you are only getting worse hands to fold and better to call. Either way, all in there was a little bit excessive since it was 4 times the pot.

Though I will grant that being short-stacked makes the post-flop play a little trickier maybe all-in is the play for a bluff there but i would argue that betting half stack looks stronger as you are then committed and it looks like you want a call. Doesn't really matter as its not a good bluffing spot.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense but being out kicked with top pair when using the a 6 of spades on the board as your kicker is never a "Bad beat". I think it's telling that you're suggesting this. I see that you're short stacked but the turn jam still looks bluffy. A boat would never jam this turn with that much left, even a T doesn't really make sense to jam. You're only folding out hands you have beat already (which are usually the hands you want to get more money from). I'd categorize this as bad play. Keep in mind we are OOP and what our line looks like to our opponents. Try not to go broke in limped pots. And lastly, given that you took this line with this hand it's possible V has seen you make another questionable play that would make your huge overbet look more suspicious. Good luck.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try not to go broke in limped pots.

This is actually really important and especially so, when we got a free play from BB. This mean per definition, we have any random hand except one, which was strong enough to raise. And also we did not pay anything to see the flop. Once we posted a blind, its no longer ours, so we have no investment, we need to defend. This mean, that if people are kind enough to let us see a free flop, we can still just get out, unless we smashed it really hard.

With this hand I would probably always invest at least one bet, because we have a fairly strong pair, that is very likely to still be top pair on the river. However in many other spots its totally reasonable to just check-fold, even we flopped a pair, especially if its multiway like this. If for instance we have 83 offsuit, and flop come 874 with a flushdraw, then just get out and let the other goofballs do, what they want. There is no need to invest money in a silly spot like this, that we did not even ask for.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol that's everyday the guys like top pair and if they feel there good they will go for it no problem

Showdown:
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 27%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 13%, River: 0%)

SB wins $12.83

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’d move down stakes if you’re playing that short stacked as suggests you can’t afford to play those stakes and means you’ll be called down light as you’ll be seen as a fish.

It looks like a very fishy table generally and yet you chose to get in a battle with the two big stacks suggesting you were never coming off well here.

In terms of this hand, massively overplayed- you saw a free flop, check it over as your kicker is junk. You’re hoping someone checking the flop with the 2nd or 3rd pair bets into you on the turn or river assuming they’re good and you call off for a small win. Clearly when the 2nd pair doubles up on the board you’re now beating virtually nothing and so you’re only calling a very small bet and certainly not bluffing.

Top pair isn’t a strong hand, when you pair it with a crap kicker it’s a terrible hand to be betting with (can only call it a bluff, and it has almost no outs if called?).

Whilst a slight exaggeration, when the board pairs I’d rather have high card ace (hearts) than your hand if I’m putting money in the middle so I at least have a small sliver of equity going into the river if called (given you’re only seeing calls from a better king, a ten or a flush draw)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Showdown:

SB wins $12.83

This is neither a bad beat nor a bad play: this is overplaying. Why?

First, when we do check from the BB after someone limps, or more than one limps, our range can have something like 70% of bad hands that are not good enough to be raising limpers out of position.
So, considering we do check with 70% range from the BB we cannot simply try to bet anything we hit, because we are out of position and our range sucks most of times, even the limpers might have better hands than us.

There are exceptions of course, if we do check from the Big Blind and we hit a monster, for example we own K3o and the flop comes, 33X, it is awesome, it comes K3X, excellent, but when he hit only the 3x having bottom pair, sucks and when we hit the Kx, anyone can have a best kicker.

When we do bet on the flop and get two callers we must wonder that most of the 5x would fold, and maybe some Tx, would continue, but mostly we have better Kings that your paying OTF and the SDs and FDs, of course.

Considering we are out of position we should evaluate our hand and check. I saw you started the hand with a broken stack, and this is never a good sign for a cash table, specially 25 NLHE where you will find a lot of regulars, professionals and many good people, who are not messing around like 2 NLHE, so we must adjust to the proper strategy and a 100 blinds deep strategy is the most used by regulars, for a very long time, ever since 2009, I guess.

When we do bet, or shove OTT, having a Top Pair No Kicker (TPNK), we already know that hands that called OTF are the Tx, now crushing us with trips, and the Kx with better kickers than yours, it rests the flush draws and straight draws, but overall we should not be overplaying marginal hands, when we elect to check versus limper/limpers from the Big Blind, because our range is too wide/weak and we must protect it, most of times, by checking and folding. I would check-fold very easy a Top Pair with 3 kicker when I check from the BB and someone bets around. Very easy fold.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I’d move down stakes if you’re playing that short stacked as suggests you can’t afford to play those stakes and means you’ll be called down light as you’ll be seen as a fish.

It looks like a very fishy table generally and yet you chose to get in a battle with the two big stacks suggesting you were never coming off well here.

In terms of this hand, massively overplayed- you saw a free flop, check it over as your kicker is junk. You’re hoping someone checking the flop with the 2nd or 3rd pair bets into you on the turn or river assuming they’re good and you call off for a small win. Clearly when the 2nd pair doubles up on the board you’re now beating virtually nothing and so you’re only calling a very small bet and certainly not bluffing.

Top pair isn’t a strong hand, when you pair it with a crap kicker it’s a terrible hand to be betting with (can only call it a bluff, and it has almost no outs if called?).

Whilst a slight exaggeration, when the board pairs I’d rather have high card ace (hearts) than your hand if I’m putting money in the middle so I at least have a small sliver of equity going into the river if called (given you’re only seeing calls from a better king, a ten or a flush draw)

Very good comment, thank you! :D

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Players at the micro and low stakes don't want to fold anything. They will call you down with bottom and mid pairs all the way. You really need to wait for a good hand to shove with and get paid. You pushed with one pair, no kicker and no strong draw for back up !

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i face limpers in the bb i rather x the flop even with a top pair,they can be ocationally slowplaying big poket pairs,them iff every ones check them i bet turn,but not on that turn.
So i would have x/c the flop and give up in the turn to further agretion

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Showdown:

SB wins $12.83

Hey mate,

The flop can be played either way, leading out as you did or check calling.

The turn however we have a few issues and this will fit under bad play rather than bad beat

The ten has paired so now we don't beat Tx anymore, also with our kicker we don't beat any Kx...

When yo are planning to beat yo want to ask what worse hands do you think can call the best, and what better hands will fold... if the answer to both is 'no hands' then checking is probably best.

I also have learned that in limped pots one must be very careful with what hands they get all in with. Top pair no kicker is not the type of hand we really want to get all the money in with.

Hope that helps and that maybe this video can help too!

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
wrong play, with K3 has many weakness against all the possibilities left. :banghead:

manuela2910

manuela2910

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Showdown:

SB wins $12.83

I would not bet turn all in with kicker 3.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are already few experienced players' comments. Obviously, I agree, against 2 opponents, I do not want to go all in with a pair (or 2 if I count the 1010) without kicker. Especially not if my allin 3-4 times the pot-size. Would be different, if 70-80% of my stack is in the pot already, then I think, I have no fold equity.

Otherwise, if it was a bluff for the pot, I do not really know, it is worthy or not, I am not good in that, how not good in 6max CG, but probably not. (As the 10 is in their flop calling range, definitely, too.) And I wondering what other hands my opponents can have, what I beat on the turn, and they will still call the all-in. The only option for me - as they just called the raise on the flop - the QJs with straight and flush draw, because of the pot overbet so wild, I don't think you will get a call with that, neither.

I think 99% you lose, if someone call your allin and the 1% is the split the pot.

For me, it is a check fold, especially, that I face with situations like this too often, they limp (it is different, if only SB limps) I find something, usually like you, a top pair, and I can't fold, even it is far from the hands, what I would play, if they would raise, not limp. Usually, I try to consider the 2 limps, as a raise, and even just call it with 2pairs+ on the flop, maybe both straight and flush draw, if my stack is suitable for the call. But I play only 8 and 9 max, not 6...