$25 NLHE Full Ring: 3 of a kind against flushs, what should i have done?

Siele

Siele

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I keep losing with my 3 of a kind, Help me please!

pokerstars Zoom Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25)

Table 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: chickacherry ($28.05 in chips)
Seat 2: jonny_cash9 ($23.05 in chips)
Seat 3: D†est7oye†R ($25 in chips)
Seat 4: Agony666 ($22.97 in chips)
Seat 5: Dantistcopra ($25.15 in chips)
Seat 6: Sièle ($19.93 in chips)
Seat 7: Kimrasang ($25.92 in chips)
Seat 8: spr1teg ($27.51 in chips)
Seat 9: SergKater ($25 in chips)
jonny_cash9: posts small blind $0.10
D†est7oye†R: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Sièle [Ac As]
Agony666: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Dantistcopra: folds
Sièle: raises $1 to $1.75
Kimrasang: folds
spr1teg: folds
SergKater: folds
chickacherry: calls $1.75
jonny_cash9: folds
D†est7oye†R: folds
Agony666: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [Qs 4s Ad]
Agony666: checks
Sièle: bets $1
chickacherry: calls $1
Agony666: calls $1
*** TURN *** [Qs 4s Ad] [Jh]
Sièle: bets $2
chickacherry: calls $2
Agony666: calls $2
*** RIVER *** [Qs 4s Ad Jh] [2s]
Sièle: bets $15.18 and is all-in
chickacherry: raises $8.12 to $23.30 and is all-in
Agony666: folds
Uncalled bet ($8.12) returned to chickacherry
*** SHOW DOWN ***
chickacherry: shows [Js Ks] (a flush, King high)
Sièle: shows [Ac As] (three of a kind, Aces)
chickacherry collected $42.96 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $44.96 | Rake $2
Board [Qs 4s Ad Jh 2s]
Seat 1: chickacherry (button) showed [Js Ks] and won ($42.96) with a flush, King high
Seat 2: jonny_cash9 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: D†est7oye†R (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Agony666 folded on the River
Seat 5: Dantistcopra folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Sièle showed [Ac As] and lost with three of a kind, Aces
Seat 7: Kimrasang folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: spr1teg folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: SergKater folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yikes this is a case of how to be polite to you, everything is wrong on every street.
your play indicates you are not competent to play at this stake level and I would suggest you drop down to much lower stakes immediately.
1.You are starting with less than 100bb which indicates weakness. Regs at all levels play with the maximum buy in available here 100bb
2. Your pre flop raise is too small, x3 is a standard 3bet so here to $2.20 ish
3. Your bet on the flop is woefully small and should be up around 66-75% pot sized for value as standard and to charge your opponents to draw, even bigger is ok. As played you are giving every draw better than the correct odds to draw, you are the player making the big mistakes here not your opponents.
4. Your turn bet is as big a blunder as your flop bet.
5 you shove all in when the hand that your opponents are likely drawing to arrives which indicates you are not thinking about what they are doing.
Sorry man you are a beginner and totally out of your depth at these stakes.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, basically what Fig said. Literally every street is butchered. It's going to be really hard to win at these stakes if you're playing any hand like this.

Learn from it, but it's probably a good idea to just move down and get a little more comfortable first with your decision making process. When you don't have tons of questions on a routine hand like this, then you'll know you're ready to move up.

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, basically what Fig said. Literally every street is butchered. It's going to be really hard to win at these stakes if you're playing any hand like this.

Learn from it, but it's probably a good idea to just move down and get a little more comfortable first with your decision making process. When you don't have tons of questions on a routine hand like this, then you'll know you're ready to move up.

+1
I were going to give the exact same advice as Fig and John A, and I'm only playing at 5nl, so you should probably drop down to at least my level. You should probably move down if you are serious about improving, but if you are only playing for fun, it shouldn't matter.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1
I were going to give the exact same advice as Fig and John A, and I'm only playing at 5nl, so you should probably drop down to at least my level. You should probably move down if you are serious about improving, but if you are only playing for fun, it shouldn't matter.

I'd go as far as playing 2 NL. I also wouldn't recommend playing Zoom if you are new to poker. Zoom is usually a bit harder than playing regular tables at the same stake.

I recommend you read some of the other hands on this website and other poker websites to get a general feel for the fundamentals of cash games.

Like already mentioned, when you have Aces you want to pump in as much money as possible ASAP (PREFLOP of course). On the flop I'd say bet at least 50% of the pot. When you get get two calls on the flop, it's ok to bet a lot more on the turn because there's a great chance that someone will call. The river should be a check.

Look into HUD trials of PT4 or HM2 and it will allow you to post much easier to read hand histories for others to take a look at. As you become more and more experienced you will stop using the term "Three of a kind" and start using "I had top set on a Q4Att" (two toned) flop. Usually when someone says they have trips it refers to having one hole card to go with the paired board for example 76s on a 66x flop. Obviously sets are more disguised which helps with getting paid easier on dry boards vs overpairs.

I know I'm rambling, but just things to think about. $25 NL is pretty tough when you are still learning the fundamentals.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I keep losing with my 3 of a kind, Help me please!
(...)
Sièle: bets $1
(...)
Sièle: bets $2

I play micro stakes and I see this play a lot. Min bet to huge pot on 2,3 streets, which you just can't fold if you have decent equity.

@Siele, I am wondering: what was your line there? Did you bet so small to keep people in the pot? Also, why did you over bet when third spade hit? (I am asking because I am interested in what was the reason behind that)

You have to always remember that multi way, you have to be careful even with hands like pocket aces. Heads up, you have at least about 80% equity before the flop with aces. When facing 3 opponents vs random cards you have about 62% equity. While you are still favourite in 4 ways pot, it is not that big favour. Those simulations were done in all in situation, so of course it highly depends on the board, but it gives you some understanding on why you shouldn't give people free cards in such spots.

After each such hand, you should use some analysing game software and try to analyse that situation, put your opponents on some range etc. Sadly when playing so passively, you can't even analyze it correctly, because the ranges that would call such small bets are quite wide.

Also, I noticed that you play zoom. I have played zoom only couple of times and I got the feeling that it is harder to play there compared to regular cash games (can anyone playing both zoom and regular cash confirm?). You have to remember that ranges, that you will find in books and on websites are much looser than zoom ranges. Because going to next hand takes no time, people tend to play tighter, so there is much higher chance of getting some coolers and bad beats imho.

Last edited:
Siele

Siele

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello ! Thanks everybody for all of your answers !

Siele

Siele

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play micro stakes and I see this play a lot. Min bet to huge pot on 2,3 streets, which you just can't fold if you have decent equity.

@Siele, I am wondering: what was your line there? Did you bet so small to keep people in the pot? Also, why did you over bet when third spade hit? (I am asking because I am interested in what was the reason behind that)

You have to always remember that multi way, you have to be careful even with hands like pocket aces. Heads up, you have at least about 80% equity before the flop with aces. When facing 3 opponents vs random cards you have about 62% equity. While you are still favourite in 4 ways pot, it is not that big favour. Those simulations were done in all in situation, so of course it highly depends on the board, but it gives you some understanding on why you shouldn't give people free cards in such spots.

After each such hand, you should use some analysing game software and try to analyse that situation, put your opponents on some range etc. Sadly when playing so passively, you can't even analyze it correctly, because the ranges that would call such small bets are quite wide.

Also, I noticed that you play zoom. I have played zoom only couple of times and I got the feeling that it is harder to play there compared to regular cash games (can anyone playing both zoom and regular cash confirm?). You have to remember that ranges, that you will find in books and on websites are much looser than zoom ranges. Because going to next hand takes no time, people tend to play tighter, so there is much higher chance of getting some coolers and bad beats imho.

Hello! I was indeed trying to keep as mush people as I could in the hand to extract more value but now i know that's not the way it goes. I was not familiar with the bets in this limit.

Zoom games are much harder because your opponents play almost only premium hands and it is difficult to read the style of all of them.

I moved up stakes because I've won a few times 10 times the buy in in nl5. I was looking for more action but i don't have the knowledge to do so. Plus I play live and won a couple hundreds in few hours. Now I think that live there are more unskilled players than on line.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I noticed that you play zoom. I have played zoom only couple of times and I got the feeling that it is harder to play there compared to regular cash games (can anyone playing both zoom and regular cash confirm?).

Yes the difference is at least one level. My hunch is thought that around NL25 it's going to equalise.

Zoom games are much harder because your opponents play almost only premium hands and it is difficult to read the style of all of them.
tight ranges are the easiest to play against theory wise, you just need to adapt. The reading style part I fully agree.

R

reggie_g

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes zoom players on stars are very skilled even in micros , way too nitty also

Siele

Siele

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, why did you over bet when third spade hit? (I am asking because I am interested in what was the reason behind that)

I wanted to block bet which is stupid. I encoutered this situation live... and when the guy went all in I knew he was bluffing, this move is just incorrect if the story you are telling from the begining doesn't justify it.

B

blackbill44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should bet a little bigger in the flop! the guy with the draw he will give you value! but in this hands in 33% to lose so in time you will be winning!

Full Flush Poker