$25 NLHE 6-max: Jh10h in MultiWay Played Well?

• Thread starter ThoughtsOuttaSeason
  • Start date
T

ThoughtsOuttaSeason

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks in advance for any advice! My first hand at the table so I had no stats on anyone. Feel like maybe I shouldn't have made the flop bet up against so many people with only a pair of jacks? Also, wasn't sure I should have called the River bet, but seemed to me the only way I was beat is if he had a set, and he definitely hadn't played like he had a set, so....

ANTES/BLINDS;
PLAYER1 ($33.68) posts small blind $0.10,
PLAYER2 ($24.75) posts big blind $0.25,
HERO (Jh 10h) ($24.75) posts blind $0.25.

PRE-FLOP;
PLAYER3 ($5.31) calls $0.25,
PLAYER4 ($37.77) calls $0.25,
HERO raises $0.75,
PLAYER5 folds,
PLAYER1 calls $0.90,
PLAYER2 folds,
PLAYER3 calls $0.75,
PLAYER4 calls $0.75.
(Pot is $4.25)

FLOP; [JS, 5H, 9S]
PLAYER1 checks,
PLAYER3 checks,
PLAYER4 checks,
HERO bets $2.50,
PLAYER1 folds,
PLAYER3 folds,
PLAYER4 calls $2.50.
(Pot is $9.25)

TURN; [JS, 5H, 9S, 9D]
PLAYER4 checks,
HERO checks.

RIVER; [JS, 5H, 9S, 9D, 5D]
PLAYER4 bets $4.75,
HERO calls $4.75.
(pot is $18.75)

Showdown
PLAYER4 shows [KS, TD]
HERO shows [JH, TH]
HERO wins $17.82 from the main pot with two pair.

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should wait until the big blind before posting, posting to get I. The action as you did is a losing play long term. Preflop raise is too small. If we choose to raise here and isolate we should be making it like $1.50 in this spot. Betting the flop is fine although I probably bet a little larger as this is a draw heavy board and we can get a lot of value from worse hands. It is also a board where we will get played back a lot though, so if we are at an aggressive table checking back is fine here for pot control too. Against Unknown I do prefer betting, especially when we also have backdoor flush and straight draws and position. Checking back for pot control on the turn is good. This isn't a great card to fire again and we can reevaluate rivers. Every draw missed so getting 3:1 we can make this call if we think villain bluffs these 25% of the time. I expect 9x and 5x a fair bit though. Jx probably just checks this river and plays bluff catch so his range looks pretty polarised.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be double barreling the turn again here. The vast majority of calls from fish will be straight draw + overs type hands (QT, KQ, KT). So it will be easier to get value from them when they can still hit their draw (well, except for this guy who calls the river with king high).

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't post the blind. Wait a couple more hands until you're the BB instead.

As played, raise preflop a little bigger. Standard is 3x BB + 1x for every limper = 1.25$.

Flop is draw-heavy and we've got two backdoor draws as well. I think I bet 2/3 of the pot (so also slightly bigger).

Pot control on the turn is good. And if we do that, we'll be calling a lot of river bets.

Overall, not a bad hand, imo.